Men's SEC Tourney Thread

I’d love to not have to face a high seed early but the draw after beating those first two teams should be LSU then UK 

I can’t resist the urge to beat the hell out of those two, especially UK after that disgusting performance. Finishing better than them for two straight seasons would be as good as anything short of a final four

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. Beating Mazzu and Cocky should do very little to help our seeding.  If we get to that point I still want to take down LSU and roll the dice on trying to win the SEC title and letting the NCAA seed chips fall where they may...

FoolishAgitatedCrossbill-size_restricted

Yes, I want to win tourney more than anything. I just prefer the matchups of a 6 seed over a 4/5. If we made it to a 3 seed, that would work lol.  I know that is impossible, just talking perfect scenario. 

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yes, I want to win tourney more than anything. I just prefer the matchups of a 6 seed over a 4/5. If we made it to a 3 seed, that would work lol.  I know that is impossible, just talking perfect scenario. 

I wouldn't put us as a 3 if we win the SEC Tourney because of a losing Quad 1 record but I think it is possible we get that high if our run there comes in beating 2 of LSU, UK, & UT. Our record would be 26-9  & our SOS would be in the top 10. Selection committees love teams playing tough schedules.

Hey, I am trying to buy tickets for the game on Thursday. Does anyone know where the Auburn section is? Would like to be close to it.

17 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I love this draw!  We couldn’t ask for anything better!  

We should be favored in the first 2 games (assuming we win the first one), then we’ve got LSU without their coach and one of their best players, or Arky or UF, any of those scenarios should be winnable.  A win there puts us in the final game vs UK or UT.  With a little magic to go with the confidence of a 7 game win streak, we could win this tourney!  How AUsome would that be!?!?!!!

The draw is favorable but we need to get over our road game blues.....though maybe a more or less neutral court...at least until UT and UK play ….is helpful as it the fact that our first opponent will be coming off a night game before playing us in our first game.    From that game onward our opponent would have the benefit of rest.  

If we make it to South Carolina,  I think the style of officiating will matter a lot.    Generally in post season, it seems the refs don't call the "minor" fouls and AU needs to be ready to play physical against Silva 'cause he is likely to just try and own the paint. 

As noted, not sure winning the first game does much for our NCAA seeding though losing the first game might cost us a seed but I don't think there is much difference if a team is seeded anywhere after 6 or 8.     Looking around the nation...., below the top 10 teams or so, there is just not much difference in the next dozen or two teams.....according to the W-L, all of them are beatable on a given night. 

5 hours ago, wde21 said:

Hey, I am trying to buy tickets for the game on Thursday. Does anyone know where the Auburn section is? Would like to be close to it.

I would call the arena & ask what section the home team sites for the game. We are the home team Thursday.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. Beating Mazzu and Cocky should do very little to help our seeding.  If we get to that point I still want to take down LSU and roll the dice on trying to win the SEC title and letting the NCAA seed chips fall where they may...

FoolishAgitatedCrossbill-size_restricted

16 hours ago, doverstutts said:

win game #1, worry about game #2....win game #2 and worry about game #3....survive and advance

Don't take this wrong, I'd be happy to win the SEC tournament, but I'd much rather make a run in the NCAA. So I'd like to see CBP conserve our guys minutes to a degree. We need to win one game to protect our seeding for the NCAA. I don't want Harper, Brown or Okeke playing 35 minutes 2,3,4 nights in a row. I would like to see McCormick continue to get minutes, give Purifory and Spencer some extra time as well. Obviously in a way that gives us the best chance to win, but also to help these guys be ready to contribute more if needed in the Big Dance. That also conserves our big three's legs.

THe NCAA is much more important to me personally. An SEC tourney title would be nice, but a sweet sixteen or better will be so much better . 

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I don't want Harper, Brown or Okeke playing 35 minutes 2,3,4 nights in a row.

Their 18-21 year old kids & have 4-6 days to rest after the SEC Tourney. They'll be fine for the NCAAs. Play them like normal as long as they aren't injured or dinged up pretty good.

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

THe NCAA is much more important to me personally. An SEC tourney title would be nice, but a sweet sixteen or better will be so much better . 

Thing is though winning the SEC would help our chances a good bit in the NCAAs. Winning the SEC Tourney would improve our line seeding for the NCAA by about 2 full lines. I say continue to do whatever the staff has done recently that has us so hot & let the chips fall wherever they may.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Their 18-21 year old kids & have 4-6 days to rest after the SEC Tourney. They'll be fine for the NCAAs. Play them like normal as long as they aren't injured or dinged up pretty good.

Thing is though winning the SEC would help our chances a good bit in the NCAAs. Winning the SEC Tourney would improve our line seeding for the NCAA by about 2 full lines. I say continue to do whatever the staff has done recently that has us so hot & let the chips fall wherever they may.

We don't really know what will happen with seeding. Maybe we get up to a 4 or 5 seed, but get a worse draw than we may get as a 6 seed. As long we as stay 6 or better all we can do is hope for a good draw. Don't get me wrong, I don't want us to lose. I just don't want us to burn out anyone's legs trying to win the SEC. 

3 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We don't really know what will happen with seeding. Maybe we get up to a 4 or 5 seed, but get a worse draw than we may get as a 6 seed. As long we as stay 6 or better all we can do is hope for a good draw. Don't get me wrong, I don't want us to lose. I just don't want us to burn out anyone's legs trying to win the SEC. 

You're technically right we don't know on the seeding but we have a very, very, strong idea that it will move us up 1 line & probably 2 if we win the SEC Tourney.

6 seeds are usually worse draws than 4s & 5s. 5-12 match ups get more pub for their upsets but the 6s actually lose more often than the 5s.

And again, with 4-6 days of rest I think you are over thinking the leg burnout thing. They will be fine.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're technically right we don't know on the seeding but we have a very, very, strong idea that it will move us up 1 line & probably 2 if we win the SEC Tourney.

6 seeds are usually worse draws than 4s & 5s. 5-12 match ups get more pub for their upsets but the 6s actually lose more often than the 5s.

And again, with 4-6 days of rest I think you are over thinking the leg burnout thing. They will be fine.

I may be, but it isn't 4-6 days of rest. It is travel days, time zone changes, film study, practice, walk throughs, trust me it is intense. I think CBP is aware of the minutes Harper and Brown have been playing, which is why we have seen McCormick's minutes go up. 

The wife and I are heading up to the Thursday and Friday games and I was wondering if anyone Ha day suggestions on tix. Should I just buy them on Stubhub or should I look for them outside the stadium?

31 minutes ago, jared52 said:

The wife and I are heading up to the Thursday and Friday games and I was wondering if anyone Ha day suggestions on tix. Should I just buy them on Stubhub or should I look for them outside the stadium?

May want to call the Bridgestone Arena & see what they suggest. You can get nose bleeds for $6 on stubhub though.

Who we pulling for in the Mizzou vs. UGA game? I'm thinking i'd prefer to see Mizzou in the second round versus UGA. The main reason is because we've played uga twice and mizzou only once early in the SEC slate. I think it gets much harder to beat a team with each prior win you have versus them. I think we somewhat match up better against Mizzou as they are more guard oriented and UGA is better underneath the basket. But we match up favorably against both so i think that is likely a wash. 

41 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Who we pulling for in the Mizzou vs. UGA game? I'm thinking i'd prefer to see Mizzou in the second round versus UGA. The main reason is because we've played uga twice and mizzou only once early in the SEC slate. I think it gets much harder to beat a team with each prior win you have versus them. I think we somewhat match up better against Mizzou as they are more guard oriented and UGA is better underneath the basket. But we match up favorably against both so i think that is likely a wash. 

I want UGA to lose as many games as possible so my vote is for Missouri!

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

May want to call the Bridgestone Arena & see what they suggest. You can get nose bleeds for $6 on stubhub though.

Yeah, I was planning on just doing that and moving to something closer since there is no way they will fill up seats on Thursday or maybe even Friday.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:29 PM, ellitor said:

Is Wiley close to genuinely being recovered? Would CBP just decide not to play him until the NCAA's?

Who ya got? 

-I think UGA has a better upside with some of the talent they have, but they are so out of sync. So I'll go with a not very good Mizzou team to win this one. 

Who ya want?

-I think I would prefer to play UGA. They are just out of sync right now, but I wouldn't worry much about Mizzou either. 

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I've had enough of Claxton. Go Mizzou! 

yeah depending on how officiating is, matching up against Claxton is one of those things that can go horrendously. Johntay Porter might be even better down low but hes a more known variable 

I was gonna say Georgia should win due to being fired up because of that late game loss streak, but that streak actually went from bad to worse (not counting the ridiculous Florida victory). The last two games of the season, they were absolutely washed by 20+ in losses to Missouri (at home) and USC. They might be mentally done, but who knows

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

didn't see this (so I started this in the Rivals thread feel free to delete that one), I'd rather play UGa. They are super inconsistent and I don't think they could put together two good games in a row. I think Mizzou beats them though. 

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

Mizzou strictly because it's a Quad 2 resume game while UGA is a Quad 3 resume game.

2 hours ago, au701948 said:

Is Wiley close to genuinely being recovered?

To where he would have a real impact in games. My opinion based on what I've read is it will be next season til he gets to that point.

6 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

didn't see this (so I started this in the Rivals thread feel free to delete that one), I'd rather play UGa. They are super inconsistent and I don't think they could put together two good games in a row. I think Mizzou beats them though. 

@JwgreDeux No need to delete the thread. It can be a game thread. And since the winner plays AU I moved it over here.

Archived