Baseball vs South Alabama

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Used to turn the transistor low and sneak games in while Mom thought I was sleeping

Ditto….first thing I bought with my first paper route money was a little transistor radio.....second thing was my Cal Abrams baseball glove. 

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

He's too freakin' big to be beating balls into the dirt, if he ever gets untracked he could pile up the home runs.  I really hope Gabe gets him right.

He tried to go yard at every bat last season and mostly he just struck out. At least he's hitting; Maybe a little success will lead to better things for him down the road. I sure hope so. He's been a puzzle. 

Meanwhile,  UF opened up on FSU and has taken a 10-7 lead....lots of offense in these mid-week games..

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

Kyle Gray on in relief of Garrett Wade in the bottom in the bottom of the sixth.  Our starting pitching has been very, very good of late.

The new additions to the staff have generally looked pretty good....will be interesting to see how they hold up over the season. 

Nice to have some confidence in the mid week pitching staff....hate for us to lose games that are winnable if we were to use the weekend starters.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Ditto….first thing I bought with my first paper route money was a little transistor radio.....second thing was my Cal Abrams baseball glove. 

I remember sitting on the screened-in porch with my Dad on summer nights drinking iced tea and listening to the Braves on his big transistor radio. I also remember the night Hank Aaron hit the magic home run. Baseball on the radio always makes me think of those good times.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The new additions to the staff have generally looked pretty good....will be interesting to see how they hold up over the season. 

Nice to have some confidence in the mid week pitching staff....hate for us to lose games that are winnable if we were to use the weekend starters.

When your number one goes down, it's easy to get the rest of the staff off kilter.  I gotta' believe Tanner Burns sets the tone for the way we've seen these pitchers handle their business.  Baseball is such a mental game.

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

When your number one goes down, it's easy to get the rest of the staff off kilter.  I gotta' believe Tanner Burns sets the tone for the way we've seen these pitchers handle their business.  Baseball is such a mental game.

Agree.....and assuming the DD will be available by end of April, we should have more flexibility for Sat and Sunday games....But there is only one Tanner Burns....anywhere.  

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

....But there is only one Tanner Burns....anywhere.  

It's an interesting phenomenon, I think he inherited the obsession with zero walks from Casey NoNo.  Looks like other guys are starting to buy in as well.

That's a good goal....the plate can move around on you sometimes but it's tough when you are helping the other guys with free passes....though some times the biggest mistake a pitcher can make is the pitch  that gets too much of the plate. .      

OOPs....another HR for USA and now it is 6-2...

Kyle Gray pitching.....and that's it for the night....still in the 8th so can't let this get away. 

Elliott Anderson come in …>CBT is serious when he brings this guy in...has looked good thus far this year. 

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

CBT is serious when he brings this guy in...has looked good thus far this year. 

Didn't look that sharp in the eighth tonight...pitching from behind with Jag hitters taking a strike or two.  Gave up back to back singles and then got serious.  Three strikeouts in the inning, with no more damage.  6-2 Auburn going to the ninth.

Elliott Anderson with six strikeouts in the final two innings.  Pretty strong for not so sharp.

Final 6-2 Auburn.  

Time to jack up that big bad ERA the Big Orange has propped up pre-conference...it's go time.

South Alabama has a better baseball and basketball facility than Bama!!!  hahahaah I freaking love it!!!!!!! Even after renovations to Sewell Thomas I still think Stanky Field is superior to Bamas stadium.......... WAR DAMN!!! good mid week win!!! Pitching keeps on rolling. 

So I’m reading the recap of the game and their coach was being interviewed...talked about their errors, can’t do that blah blah blah but then said “we won the last three innings of the game”. What the heck does that mean? Maybe I’m not getting something....

8 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

So I’m reading the recap of the game and their coach was being interviewed...talked about their errors, can’t do that blah blah blah but then said “we won the last three innings of the game”. What the heck does that mean? Maybe I’m not getting something....

Calvi is an excellent coach but he's got a team that doesn't look like the South Alabama teams of the past....  I think we all expect a dogfight whenever Auburn plays those guys mid-week but last night never felt like they had the chip on their shoulder attitude they normally show up with.  Starting pitching was ineffective, hitters were incredibly passive (with SIXTEEN combined strikeouts) at the plate and of course the four (should have been five) errors.  He said they won the last three because it sounds better than the last two, lol.  They hit a solo home run in the eighth, Auburn posted their last two runs in the top of the 6th.  He is doing what a good coach with a struggling team would do, trying to find anything positive...there just wasn't much there for them Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Calvi is an excellent coach but he's got a team that doesn't look like the South Alabama teams of the past....  I think we all expect a dogfight whenever Auburn plays those guys mid-week but last night never felt like they had the chip on their shoulder attitude they normally show up with.  Starting pitching was ineffective, hitters were incredibly passive (with SIXTEEN combined strikeouts) at the plate and of course the four (should have been five) errors.  He said they won the last three because it sounds better than the last two, lol.  They hit a solo home run in the eighth, Auburn posted their last two runs in the top of the 6th.  He is doing what a good coach with a struggling team would do, trying to find anything positive...there just wasn't much there for them Tuesday night.

So Purdue can say they tied the second half of the music city bowl😬

Archived