Austin Wiley Injury Status

logan adams

15 hours ago, Tiger said:

We have a lotttt of new fans

Since Bruce we have a new optimism. A lot of us were around with Cliff Ellis until our program became a graveyard.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think he wanted to use him specifically to stop Silva’s initial period where we had no matchup on the court and maybe he felt comfortable over time as Chris slowed down (scoring wise, at least) 

Maybe he didn’t feel completely comfortable allowing him to play against that beast his first game 

AW is taller and heavier than Silva...should have been no problem there...but Silva would just take him outside....not a good match up.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Since Bruce we have a new optimism. A lot of us were around with Cliff Ellis until our program became a graveyard.

I was around with Joel Eaves, great era. Jimmy Fibbie was one of my all time favorite players.

12 minutes ago, grandpajay said:

I was around with Joel Eaves, great era. Jimmy Fibbie was one of my all time favorite players.

When was was this era?

26 minutes ago, grandpajay said:

Damn! Somebody that got to Auburn before I did. I came in with Wally Tinker, Carl Shetler, Bill Alexander & co. and was lucky enough to see the great John Mengelt play his years at Auburn. I was there at the first game ever played at Beard-Eaves and also came back for the last game there. The school gave complimentary tickets and special seating to everybody that was at the first game who returned for the last one. That was cool.

@aujeff11 The Jimmy Fibbe/Joel Eaves era was late 1950's, early 1960's.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Damn! Somebody that got to Auburn before I did. I came in with Wally Tinker, Carl Shetler, Bill Alexander & co. and was lucky enough to see the great John Mengelt play his years at Auburn. I was there at the first game ever played at Beard-Eaves and also came back for the last game there. The school gave complimentary tickets and special seating to everybody that was at the first game who returned for the last one. That was cool.

Correct, saw my first AU basketball game when I was 16, in Montgomery in a dark and dungeons old arena.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Did not attend Auburn, unfortunately, I was accepted and ready to go when my 17 year old world fell apart. We want go there, just part of life.

4 minutes ago, grandpajay said:

Did not attend Auburn, unfortunately, I was accepted and ready to go when my 17 year old world fell apart. We want go there, just part of life.

I know what you mean. Mine fell apart at 17 too. I was lucky enough to grow up during a four-year hitch in the Air Force and then, being the proud possessor of a GED, I started college after my military service as a 21 year old freshman.

I have a friend who saw Jimmy Fibbe play. He swears that Fibbe could take off at the top of the circle and still be airborn when he laid the ball in at the basket. Did you see anything like that?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I know what you mean. Mine fell apart at 17 too. I was lucky enough to grow up during a four-year hitch in the Air Force and then, being the proud possessor of a GED, I started college after my military service as a 21 year old freshman.

I have a friend who saw Jimmy Fibbe play. He swears that Fibbe could take off at the top of the circle and still be airborn when he laid the ball in at the basket. Did you see anything like that?

JF was one of the players of that era that I believe could excel in todays game. He was just a great athlete.

Don't remember anything like that, but he was a pure shooter, amazing ball handler. Only saw him play twice, I saw us beat Kentucky and Jimmy took the team on his shoulders that day.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

When was was this era?

When I was in school....59-64......the days of "Snow White and his seven dwarfs' and the Auburn Shuffle that became famous world wide for use by undersized teams.

The big man was Layton Johns at 6-7 and Fibbe and Po Devil Hart among others. 

I was there in 66 when we had a freshman team of good recruits and were undefeated against JUCOs and a few other college freshmen teams.....young Fibbe was on the team, Lee DeFore was a smooth shooter, Bobby Buisson, Monk Montgomery and a few others whose names will come to me later today.  

OK....and Tee Faircloth...guard from over in west Georgia. 

Another PS...that was when Rudy Davalos was coaching the frosh ..went on to become a legend out in New Mexico as coach and AD...great guy.

1 hour ago, grandpajay said:

Correct, saw my first AU basketball game when I was 16, in Montgomery in a dark and dungeons old arena.

That would have been Garrett Coliseum, which is where I saw my first Auburn basketball game.   We played Bammer there in the 60's.  

24 minutes ago, saminbama said:

That would have been Garrett Coliseum, which is where I saw my first Auburn basketball game.   We played Bammer there in the 60's.  

Thanks...I recall seeing a couple games there...could not remember the name of it however. 

Archived