Beto Officially In

Texan4Auburn

Beto O’Rourke confirmed he will run for president, according to El Paso TV station KTSM, ending months of speculation.

The news station said the former El Paso congressman said in a text message on Wednesday afternoon that he would seek the Democratic nomination for president and is expected to make a formal announcement Thursday.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190313/breaking-beto-orourke-confirmed-2020-presidential-run-tv-station-reports

Now if Kasich will just jump into the race.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a political test about a week ago and I aligned with Beto about 80%. That’s higher than I’ve ever aligned with anyone on one of these tests. He’ll get my vote in the Primaries.

12 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I took a political test about a week ago and I aligned with Beto about 80%. That’s higher than I’ve ever aligned with anyone on one of these tests. He’ll get my vote in the Primaries.

Just curious what ideology, legislative achievement, major policy issue or agenda for the country does he have that you agree with/support exactly? 

I agree with him on the lack of need for a wall, green house gas emmisions, gun control legislation, marijuana legalization, expunging records of marijuana criminals and closing for profit prisons , abortion rights, universal healthcare, among other things, including his positive message, opposition to PACs, delivery, and desire to pull the country together by working with everyone’s ideas and needs instead of dividing for power gain, like what we have now. 

Why do you ask?

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree with him on the lack of need for a wall, green house gas emmisions, gun control legislation, marijuana legalization, expunging records of marijuana criminals and closing for profit prisons , abortion rights, universal healthcare, among other things, including his positive message, opposition to PACs, delivery, and desire to pull the country together by working with everyone’s ideas and needs instead of dividing for power gain, like what we have now. 

Why do you ask?

He is kinda getting beat up on left leaning publications at present on topics I mentioned, so just curious. 

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

He is kinda getting beat up on left leaning publications at present on topics I mentioned, so just curious. 

Yea he’s a little bit more center on the economy than some of the more far left candidates, from what I’ve seen. A lot of Dems see him as another Obama, which means that he won’t be as far left as many people like, but that’s what I like about him. I don’t think our country is ready or willing enough to go that far to the left or to the right.

Just now, DKW 86 said:

64% Sanders, Gabbard, Harris

Mine was 80% Beto, 77% Gabbard, and 75 % Sanders and Buttigieg, and Wang. 

I’d be down for Buttigieg if Beto wasn’t in it. Sanders is just too old and I just don’t feel like Gabbard is electable. I think the Dems winning ticket would be a combination of Biden, Beto, or Harris. If the Dems can energize black women to vote in large numbers, I think they clean house in the general.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Mine was 80% Beto, 77% Gabbard, and 75 % Sanders and Buttigieg, and Wang. 

I’d be down for Buttigieg if Beto wasn’t in it. Sanders is just too old and I just don’t feel like Gabbard is electable. I think the Dems winning ticket would be a combination of Biden, Beto, or Harris. If the Dems can energize black women to vote in large numbers, I think they clean house in the general.

Mine was 64% Harris, 63% Sanders, 62% Gabbard

I rounded a lil.

Most of those political views sound like the posters would easily be comfortable with Nicolas Maduro as a candidate when he gets run out of Venezuela.....think NM views are fully in tune with the leading dems  and he would likely fully support Beto's views in about every issue....especially about removing our current border protections. 

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Most of those political views sound like the posters would easily be comfortable with Nicolas Maduro as a candidate when he gets run out of Venezuela.....think NM views are fully in tune with the leading dems  and he would likely fully support Beto's views in about every issue....especially about removing our current border protections. 

Lol, taking Trumps bravado shot about Beto from El Paso eh? Nevermind that El Paso was one of the safest cities prewall, crime went up post wall, and that all current decrease in crime trends in that city coincide/match with similar sized cities that are not even close to the border. Even the Republican Mayor of El Paso is saying wait a minute.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/05/fact-check-state-union-trump-el-paso-crime-rate-fence/2784362002/

How about that no cut to Medicare and aggressive stance on lowering drug costs in America that Trump campaigned on? That went out the door. Beto will have some work to do on his plans, but I support and believe in his ideas more than I do Trumps in regards to healthcare. I like his mention of dual systems which would be a mix of government and private healthcare. Hybrids of our current system and foreign countries systems.  Cutting Medicare for the wall? Mean build a wall that noone can prove works.... or cut money that comes into how I make my living and improves quality of life for citizens?

The cuts to Medicare would be imposed as the budget allots billions of dollars a year in extra spending to the Pentagon and another $8.6 billion for Trump’s wall along the southern border. The economies would be achieved largely by reducing payments to doctors, hospitals, and other health-care providers, which could affect benefits and drive some providers to leave the program

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-white-houses-new-budget-exposes-donald-trumps-lies-about-protecting-medicare-and-medicaid

Gun laws. Pretty neutral on magazine limits and semiautomatics to be truthful. Stay or go doesn't really bother me. Stronger background checks.... yes please. And Beto's stance against concealed carry reciprocity. Love it, I don't want people that got licensed under lesser restrictions in say Mississippi cruising around Texas with their weapons. Many things about gun laws that I would like to see made consistent across the United States. Yes I am a gun owner with a CC for Texas.

Have to do more research on the for profit prisons, but his stance on marijuana doesn't bother me. I don't smoke it myself, just not my thing. Texting and driving will do more damage to lives and families than a bit of weed will this year probably.

Things like trade and agriculture. As the grandson of a cotton/soy bean farmer from Alabama I support his stance against Trumps tariffs and trade policies. Many of my family are still soybean farmers in Alabama and Trumps policies have hurt them badly. Their crops didn't have buyers, storage was unavailable, and price paid was lower. These are people that voted for Trump cause they believed that he supported them when a Hillary didn't. He burned them. Also agree that immigration reform is tied into our economics especially with agriculture. While it doesn't impact my family (machines are used for their labor) you can go back and see where immigration laws like Alabama passed years ago had a large negative impact on farmers that relied on manual picking. He will benefit farmers and universities like Auburn with his support for agriculture.

His stance for improvements in rural America through schools, internet, and basic infrastructure are ideas that I support. These improve quality of life, opportunity, healthcare, etc for many in states like Alabama or Texas with many rural areas.

I like his opposition to PAC and truly believe that he is more interested in pulling America together than party lines. Hence the left's opposition to him. He is more center than people want to believe.

A Beto vs Kasich 2020 would be my dream scenario. I will never 100% agree with the policies of course.

Oh ya. I forgot... his hand gestures. Hand gestures are the most important thing about running for office and being the leader of the free world.

4 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Oh ya. I forgot... his hand gestures. Hand gestures are the most important thing about running for office and being the leader of the free world

His hand gestures are a thing of beauty. Right up there with the greats like William Shatner and Eminem, and the country of Italy.

And the response...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/campaign/434154-orourke-responds-to-trump-mocking-his-hand-movements-people-want-us-to-rise%3famp

Trump makes it so easy for Beto to make him look like the petty a**hole he is. Lol!

On 3/14/2019 at 7:33 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yea he’s a little bit more center on the economy than some of the more far left candidates, from what I’ve seen. A lot of Dems see him as another Obama, which means that he won’t be as far left as many people like, but that’s what I like about him. I don’t think our country is ready or willing enough to go that far to the left or to the right.

My wife calls him the white Obama.

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My wife calls him the white Obama.

They are very similar in both speech delivery and views. Also they’re both tall skinny guys. Lol

9 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

They are very similar in both speech delivery and views. Also they’re both tall skinny guys. Lol

That's what she sees too. Same type of mannerisms, speech pattern, and verbage.

I actually think he looks similar to Bobby Kennedy.

@SaltyTiger , I saw that and instantly thought it was ICHY. You're keeping me on my toes.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's what she sees too. Same type of mannerisms, speech pattern, and verbage.

I actually think he looks similar to Bobby Kennedy.

@SaltyTiger , I saw that and instantly thought it was ICHY. You're keeping me on my toes.

Thank you. My error has been corrected.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, AU64 said:

Ah, there's that good old fashioned unnuanced political understanding we've come to love from the resident conservatives. <_<

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Ah, there's that good old fashioned unnuanced political understanding we've come to love from the resident conservatives. <_<

Watch the word, “nuance” or any other use of it.  It seems to trigger some folks. 

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Watch the word, “nuance” or any other use of it.  It seems to trigger some folks. 

Sorry....if any of my political points were "nuanced" it's because I did not express myself clearly enough.....:)

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry....if any of my political points were "nuanced" it's because I did not express myself understand the subject clearly enough.....:)

FIFY

26 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

FIFY

What Arrogance and from a MOD......you need to change your style to quit the job.... don't need a MOD or Admin  being a the interpreter of my posts....…..even on this forum.  

Archived