Chuck Person Saga (Threads Merged)

GwillMac6

8 minutes ago, gravejd said:

BP didn't bring Person to AU. AU brought Person to BP.  This was one of our own that did this. As an AU alum i think we owe Pearl an apology for staining his record with this

Correct. To put it politely, Jay Jacobs lobbied Pearl hard to take Person.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Correct. To put it politely, Jay Jacobs lobbied Pearl hard to take Person.

So what? ...he worked for BP....still his responsibility.....Head Coaches get paid the big bucks to be responsible....that's life....and lobbying him to take Person.?  .....could have been but show me the first poster on this site that thought it was a bad idea when it happened  ?    Meanwhile, if you are the HC and sign those forms about NCAA violations, etc....then you know you are responsible and you have to be aware.....it's part of the job. :dunno:  Plus you can not like it but its the rule.

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I Wasn't involved in your debate & TBH I don't want to be. Just pointed out Grave was right on his statement. Wasn't saying or inferring any more or any less.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I Wasn't involved in your debate & TBH I don't want to be. Just pointed out Grave was right on his statement. Wasn't saying or inferring any more or any less.

Thanks...understand....but seems that lots of people don't realize that once a coach has a run-in with the NCAA, no matter the outcome, he is always under suspicion and probably viewed as guilty until proven innocent in any questionable issues.    The reason that some of us would not touch the Briles family with a ten foot poll....just asking for the NCAA to set up a field office in Auburn if we hired either of them. 

Like doing time in jail I expect....you can pay the price and serve your time but there are people who never trust you again.   BP made a big mistake and paid the price  but that is not enough in the minds of some people and former offenders are probably at the top of list for the NCAA. 

If he was doing shady crap to pull players to Auburn then YES Bruce should be responsible and should have known like all the other coaches. But Chuck's transgressions fall outside of that umbrella. This was not to gain any sort of competitive advantage whatsoever. Thats the big kicker here. 

If you cheat in recruiting the HC should be responsible because he's the one manning the ship when it comes to roster management and who is brought into the program. For Chuck to be trying to make some quick cash for himself with no benefit whatsoever to Auburn, the basketball program, or Bruce I think makes this situation a quite different for how it should be viewed.

Its no secret that I'm overwhelmingly pro-Bruce but I really think I'm looking at this objectively when comparing what's been reported about how the LSU's, Kansas', and Arizona's of the world were operating. 

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

This was not to gain any sort of competitive advantage whatsoever. Thats the big kicker here. 

We Auburn folks know that. The NCAA knows it too but that doesn't mean they won't take advantage of this opportunity to gore Auburn once again. They have done it before. We were unfairly gashed by them naming an AAU basketball coach an Auburn supporter when the guy wasn't ever an Auburn student and had never sent a single one of his players to AU. You can go all the way back to 1956 when they unjustly put football on probation in the Don Fuell (sp?) case. There are enough bammers in the NCAA head office to make stuff like this happen. They will do it again if they can. To them, AU being in the Final Four is unacceptable and anything they can do to keep it from happening again will be done.

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We Auburn folks know that. The NCAA knows it too but that doesn't mean they won't take advantage of this opportunity to gore Auburn once again. They have done it before. We were unfairly gashed by them naming an AAU basketball coach an Auburn supporter when the guy wasn't ever an Auburn student and had never sent a single one of his players to AU. You can go all the way back to 1956 when they unjustly put football on probation in the Don Fuell (sp?) case. There are enough bammers in the NCAA head office to make stuff like this happen. They will do it again if they can. To them, AU being in the Final Four is unacceptable and anything they can do to keep it from happening again will be done.

Belle….is that you ?   :-\

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

So what? ...he worked for BP....still his responsibility.....Head Coaches get paid the big bucks to be responsible....that's life....and lobbying him to take Person.?  .....could have been but show me the first poster on this site that thought it was a bad idea when it happened  ?    Meanwhile, if you are the HC and sign those forms about NCAA violations, etc....then you know you are responsible and you have to be aware.....it's part of the job. :dunno:  Plus you can not like it but its the rule.

Totally wrong. This is one coach, who as an AU legend, was bound and determined NOT to let ANYONE know he dire need for money. And to only involve 2 players already on the team would be easy for Person, using texting and emails to NOT let anyone else know about it. Just bc a HC has 5-6 assistants under him, doesn't mean he knows what all they are doing. Where did you get that idea?

Pearl, more than anyone, knows he was on the NCAA's radar since he was hired at Auburn. Pearl KNEW anything he did that was against NCAA rules would be watched. He had EVERYTHING to lose. I don't believe for a second Pearl knew what Person was doing. If he did, Pearl would have high tailed it to JJ and told him so.

Again, why anyone thinks a person in charge can watch people under their wing all the time, blows my mind. Pearl has SO many other responsibilities that he probably thought the LAST thing he had to do was keep an eye on an AU Legend.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, Win4AU said:

My only problem with this article, as you mentioned, is it squarely suggests Auburn might be in trouble but doesn’t mention the other recent transgressions that have come to light.  I’m still bewildered how Wade Wilson still has a job after being taped offering money.  You also have court documents claiming Bama’s star Sexton was paid while in school.  I feel like that’s much more in line with NCAA troubles than directing players to a financial advisor after their playing days are over.  Auburn went from 0 to hero so I get it. Auburn obviously cheated to get there because Bruce is our coach and rubs people the wrong way.

exactly, think Avery Johnson didn't know Sextons arrangement? right, NBA guy, Nike school. Probably the real reason Avery wanted out, he could see the heat that could possibly come. Every game Sexton played in should be forfeited and uat put on probation. They didn't even really try to hide it, arrogance maybe one day will bring them down.

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

exactly, think Avery Johnson didn't know Sextons arrangement? right, NBA guy, Nike school. Probably the real reason Avery wanted out, he could see the heat that could possibly come. Every game Sexton played in should be forfeited and uat put on probation. They didn't even really try to hide it, arrogance maybe one day will bring them down.

They are a Blue Blood School and know that they can expect a fair amount of protection, even in non Football sports.

We are not.  I believe that we should have nothing to fear.  Yet, NC State likely getting hammered and UNC walks.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Again, why anyone thinks a person in charge can watch people under their wing all the time, blows my mind. Pearl has SO many other responsibilities that he probably thought the LAST thing he had to do was keep an eye on an AU Legend.

if so...a big mistake and foolish decision.  He'd been at two schools where NCAA came to see them.....would think a smart guy like BP would know the hazards....AU "legend" who took money while in school?        PLUS....it's in his job description and NCAA rules that he's responsible.   

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

You seem to miss one key point there is a limit to how much oversight any coach can have on his assistants.  As I said earlier you can't wiretap your assistants so you have no way of knowing if the assistant is doing something he should not be doing. Especially something that did not help the Auburn program in any way and that actually hurt the program as seen by key players be suspended for a long time. Also the fact that we got rid of Person and suspended players demonstrated that Pearl did utilize oversight once he knew about the issue.  In other examples like LSU and bama when players were paid or where money was offered and they were caught nothing was done by the programs. Hence they probably should get significant punishment.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You seem to miss one key point there is a limit to how much oversight any coach can have on his assistants.  As I said earlier you can't wiretap your assistants so you have no way of knowing if the assistant is doing something he should not be doing. Especially something that did not help the Auburn program in any way and that actually hurt the program as seen by key players be suspended for a long time. Also the fact that we got rid of Person and suspended players demonstrated that Pearl did utilize oversight once he knew about the issue.  In other examples like LSU and bama when players were paid or where money was offered and they were caught nothing was done by the programs. Hence they probably should get significant punishment.

You are missing the point of AU64s argument. Which is he does not and has never liked BP coaching at AU so he will grasp on to any and every thing possible to criticize and cast doubt on the ability of BP to lead the AU bball program. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

if so...a big mistake and foolish decision.  He'd been at two schools where NCAA came to see them.....would think a smart guy like BP would know the hazards....AU "legend" who took money while in school?        PLUS....it's in his job description and NCAA rules that he's responsible.   

Where was it documented that Person took money while at AU? I know Barkley did, b/c he said so, but I don't recall Person telling anyone he did. 

In his job description? So? The NCAA put that in there as a catch all, so they could hit the HC, if they wanted too. But it doesn't mean BP didn't abide by the rules...

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Just read no additional prison time for Person and he hopes “Auburn welcomes him back”. Really?

Just saw that too. I'm glad for him so he can move on. Time heals a lot of wounds so you never know. He's got a lot to work out so his Auburn relationship should be near the bottom of his list at this point. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Just saw that too. I'm glad for him so he can move on. Time heals a lot of wounds so you never know. He's got a lot to work out so his Auburn relationship should be near the bottom of his list at this point. 

Part of me thinks he was responsible for us coming close to losing Pearl.  If I am honest, that probably influences my opinion more than his actual crime. I, too, am glad he can get his life back together.

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Who’d he squeal on?

That was my first thought as well..........

After reading that article i'm glad he got no jail time. Typical athlete story. Grows up poor, makes millions, gives/wastes it all away on family, friends, hangerons, and an ex wife. Its amazing to us regular folk that you can blow through millions of dollars but i guess it is not that hard to do since it happens all the time repeatedly to pro athletes. 

I also hope that Person' Auburn comment is meant to be directed more at the fan base and school in general. You know "i hope the Auburn family excepts me back and i'm allowed to go to games without getting booed" kind of thing. And not i hope they let me come back and coach again.

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

After reading that article i'm glad he got no jail time. Typical athlete story. Grows up poor, makes millions, gives/wastes it all away on family, friends, hangerons, and an ex wife. Its amazing to us regular folk that you can blow through millions of dollars but i guess it is not that hard to do since it happens all the time repeatedly to pro athletes. 

I also hope that Person' Auburn comment is meant to be directed more at the fan base and school in general. You know "i hope the Auburn family excepts me back and i'm allowed to go to games without getting booed" kind of thing. And not i hope they let me come back and coach again.

They say that time heals all wounds, but as far as I’m concerned, Person needs to stay away for quite a while. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

interesting comment from the judge, stating that Person was charitable to a fault, and never greedy as the prosecution wanted them to believe. That it did him no good to serve prison time. 

glad he can now try to recoup his life. And hope he can come back to Auburn, when Auburn is ready to allow him back. 

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

interesting comment from the judge, stating that Person was charitable to a fault, and never greedy as the prosecution wanted them to believe. That it did him no good to serve prison time. 

glad he can now try to recoup his life. And hope he can come back to Auburn, when Auburn is ready to allow him back. 

Can come back to Auburn IF nothing comes of the NCAA investigation thing. If Bruce and Auburn get popped for some kind of lack of institutional control type thing, hes dead to me. Signs are looking to the contrary, bit that's still a big if for me. If he kills this insane momentum for us, I'll personally never forgive the guy. Bruce Pearl fell into our laps and was the programs chance to finally break through. Now that we have, the sky's the limit for the future. 

Archived