Softball vs. Texas A&M

Auburn leading 4-1 going to top 3, Martin pitching.  Crack with two doubles, Veach a 2-run homer.  Perry HBP again.  We need to add her HBPs to her hits to get her true BA, I think.

I have to leave in about 45 mins, so won't be able to follow this until the end.

Edit:  Now 4-2 going to bot 3.  Top of A&M's order beating Martin up.  She's yielded 6 hits, all singles.

Edit:  Aggies keep whittling away.  Error by Fornis puts a runner on 2d, bunted to 3d, scores on another single.  Then a catchemout throwemout double play.  Going to top 5, 4-3 Auburn.

I should add that Tay and Crack both had hits in bot 4, but Snow got thrown out trying to reach 3d on Crack's hit.

Edit:  We escaped the 5th without a score, but A&M got two more hits, now have nine.  The top 4 batters in their order have 8 of them.  Need some insurance runs.

BOOM:  Three-run homer by Perry, 7-3 Auburn.

Back from my sleep study, I see that aTm got a 3-run dinger of their own in the 7th, and we narrowly escaped.  The top 4 hitters in their lineup had 10 hits.  I've never seen anyone hit Martin like that.  I actually thought Dean might relieve her with Harris, to show them something completely different.

12 hours ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Wonder why this game was not on TV

Not on SEC+ because there was gymnastics and baseball. Story I got from AD Green was camera crews and bandwidth.  If you are as unhappy as I am that the team isn't getting full coverage please send him an email - cag0083@auburn.edu or let him know on Twitter.  @AGreeneIV

13 hours ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Wonder why this game was not on TV

Today's game will be on the SEC network. Softball at 4 PM, baseball at 6 PM. Then there's basketball on ESPN at noon. That's more Auburn TV time than I can ever remember!

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Today's game will be on the SEC network. Softball at 4 PM, baseball at 6 PM. Then there's basketball on ESPN at noon. That's more Auburn TV time than I can ever remember!

And spread out enough to watch them all!

There is a very good slow motion video of the strike out/caught stealing  play from yesterdays  game on the softball twitter page.  Fantastic play.  I suspect today we will see A&M pitching McBride; statistically appears to be their best pitcher.  This would be the same rotation they used for LSU series.

Wondering who may get the start for AU today.  Looking at season stats below.  All of our pitchers have given up between 20 - 22% hits ( based off At Bats) so no big difference there.  Appears Harris minimizes bad pitches (base on balls and wild pitches) while having good SO%.  Handley has good strike out % but gives up a lot of bases via walk and is prone to wild pitches which can advance runners.  Swindle is a bit of a mystery.  I have seen her pitch some very good innings then go into a funk and then recover.  Pulling for her to improve her consistency. 

Pitcher                  ERA        AB          BB                           WP                         SO

Martin                  1.14        293         15 (5.1%)             3 (1%)                   86 (29%)

Handley               1.38        114         17 (14.9%)           9 (7.9%)               41 (36%)

Harris                    2.02        101         7 (6.9%)               1 (1%)                   42 (42%)

Swindle                2.54        150         17 (11.3%)           2 (1.3%)               30 (20%)

I like the Harris start and Swindle in relief today.  That change of speed by Swindle is devastating after seeing the heat from Harris. Harris has been a good SO pitcher this year.  I think Swindle seems prone to giving up the XB hit more so than singles. 

Archived