New Zealand Mosque Shooting Suspect Brenton Tarrant Flashes White Power SIgn in Court

homersapien

Weren’t these asshats avowed racists? I’m not sure why flashing a racist (although I’m still not sure how the Okay/Otay sign became racist) is surprising or newsworthy. 

50 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Weren’t these asshats avowed racists? I’m not sure why flashing a racist (although I’m still not sure how the Okay/Otay sign became racist) is surprising or newsworthy. 

Nailed it! It is neither newsworthy nor surprising, but our butthurt media and their cultist pawns can't help themselves. 

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Nailed it! It is neither newsworthy nor surprising, but our butthurt media and their cultist pawns can't help themselves. 

I'm sure Homey will tell us the deeper meaning ....

5 hours ago, aubearcat said:

(although I’m still not sure how the Okay/Otay sign became racist)

Did you see any of the videos or see his manifesto? The killer is a memespouting moron. Online, I’d describe that sort of behavior as “shitposting,” a phrase I use frequently. Guy was even a poster on one of the *chans. All the stupid memes in the manifesto, on his gun, the “subscribe to PewDiePie” as he began the massacre, etc. 

The “okay sign is racist” thing is very much a part of that. It began as a *chan in-joke in order to gaslight. When Proud Boys and the like do it, they are 100% hoping they get called out on it so they can act shocked and hurt and say "whaaaaa? How could you say that? Hey everyone get a load of this oversensitive SJW seeing racism everywhere!”

On the internet, Jokes and Memes become reality. Gaslighting becomes defacto history. 

Sometimes, i wonder if there is any sanity on the Internet. 

I came on to this thread to share with everyone my Men's Group Meeting yesterday morning. 

We got to talking about the "Mosque Shooting in New Zealand." We had this new millennial type guy that showed up, and I mean this, just could not wrap his little head around the fact that it was a "mosque." He had never heard the word "mosque" before. :timeout: He kept stopping the conversation and asking what church it was. If he had ever heard the word mosque, he had somehow substituted it for "church." "What denomination was it?" "How many died at the church again?" He understood it was in ChristsChurch, NZ. He just had no understanding of the word "mosque." He interrupted the conversation 6 times before we could even get it started.

"What denomination was it?"
They were Muslims that died....

"How many died at the church again?"
It was a mosque...

"How many Christians Died?"
It was 49 Muslims that died. 

In talking with him, it became obvious that he must have had heard it completely wrong or had been listening/reading to some crazy alt-right source. This guy was just adamant that CHRISTIANS had died and had been killed by a Muslim and that Mosques was just another name for Church. I will drill into his head later on and find out. The guy was either: 1) Hardcore Ignorant (He struck me as Intelligent in prior conversation) 2) Had been getting his news from some crazy source that had literally reversed the story. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

On the internet, Jokes and Memes become reality. Gaslighting becomes defacto history. 

Sometimes, i wonder if there is any sanity on the Internet. 

As I’m getting older I've become a lot more skeptical of the irony common to such boards like the *chans, since it’s so frequently a cover for much worse things. Bandying about the n-word, “Jews did WTC!” and stuff like that, which have been memes on the *chans as long as the *chans and Anonymous have been a thing. “We’re just being ironically racist/anti-Semitic!”

Before you knew it, the ironic self-descriptor as the “internet hate-machine” became a self-fulfilling prophecy and these places became a breeding ground for radicalizing the young, and had a huge hand in creating the alt-right. 4chan begot /b/ and /pol/, which begot 8chan, Gab and The_Donald. The pretense of irony has been dropped, even if they claim otherwise. 

And the gaslighting is a huge recruitment tool for them. They want people called out for innocuously doing the okay sign like that, or for (less innocuously) spouting racist memes IRL, even if they’re “just being ironic.” All the sudden, these individuals called on it may develop some sympathy for alt-right views, and it’s not a big step for people to accept those views wholeheartedly from there.

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I The guy was either: 1) Hardcore Ignorant (He struck me as Intelligent in prior conversation) 2) Had been getting his news from some crazy source that had literally reversed the story. 

Or he is in the mold of the typical millenial U.S. Democrat.:drippingsarcasm7pa:

19 hours ago, aubearcat said:

We had a discussion earlier about a group of cops flashing that sign and if it really meant white power at all.  This photo pretty much lays that to rest. 

That makes it "newsworthy", at least for this forum.

18 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

What a random post. :dunno: 

You just like the word "butthurt" don't you?

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

We had a discussion earlier about a group of cops flashing that sign and if it really meant white power at all.  This photo pretty much lays that to rest. 

That makes it "newsworthy", at least for this forum.

What a random post. :dunno: 

You just like the word "butthurt" don't you?

Why would anyone be surprised when a racist flashes a racist sign?

Actually no, I wish "butthurt" did not exist, just as I wish hate did not exist. 

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

We had a discussion earlier about a group of cops flashing that sign and if it really meant white power 

I didn’t remember having this conversation and maybe you didn’t mean me specifically, just other posters so I googled the situation.  I found an al.com that linked the following article that echoes some of what Ben said. 

https://www.adl.org/blog/how-the-ok-symbol-became-a-popular-trolling-gesture

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I didn’t remember having this conversation and maybe you didn’t mean me specifically, just other posters so I googled the situation.  I found an al.com that linked the following article that echoes some of what Ben said. 

https://www.adl.org/blog/how-the-ok-symbol-became-a-popular-trolling-gesture

There was a thread on a group photo of Alabama LEO's flashing that sign that led to the discussion.

Obviously it's not a "hoax" now, even if it started as one.

Here it is:

https://www.al.com/news/2018/07/jasper_officers_suspended_for.html

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

There was a thread on a group photo of Alabama LEO's flashing that sign that led to the discussion.

Obviously it's not a "hoax" now, even if it started as one.

Here it is:

https://www.al.com/news/2018/07/jasper_officers_suspended_for.html

That’s the al article that links the post I posted. Jasper is a small fairly homogeneous town and I don’t think those guys were doing anything out of malice. I think it was more they thought they were being funny and are probably ignorant that it may be offensive. Heck, until recently, I had not heard of the “Okay” symbol being linked to anything nefarious. 

33 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

That’s the al article that links the post I posted. Jasper is a small fairly homogeneous town and I don’t think those guys were doing anything out of malice. I think it was more they thought they were being funny and are probably ignorant that it may be offensive. Heck, until recently, I had not heard of the “Okay” symbol being linked to anything nefarious. 

I am familiar with Jasper.

Well, it's not exactly the "OK" symbol, being held upside down.

While I don't necessarily believe those guys are white nationalists, I think they probably knew what they were doing, even if jokingly.

But my greater point is that it has apparently evolved from a hoax to something real, as evidenced/effected by the New Zealand shooter.  It's like the swastika, which was originally an Indian religious symbol and adopted by the Nazis. 

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

I guess Trump will be blamed for this one in the Netherlands too by a suspected Turkish terrorist.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/multiple-injuries-reported-after-shooting-on-tram-in-netherlands-police-say

Obviously Trump didn't directly cause the shooting in New Zealand.  He's just a "symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose" - according to the shooter's own words.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-offers-us-assistance-after-horrible-massacre-in-new-zealand/2019/03/15/931833d2-4712-11e9-aaf8-4512a6fe3439_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.eee3b5fa53bc

Well, now that I know this is a "racist" symbol, I'm going to boycott watching these guys play in the NCAA Tourney this week!!!!  Of all the nerve!!!!bryce-brown.jpg

c070d37c-bc70-4bd1-9968-a5922bdf4be1-USATSI_12360223.jpg

images.jpeg

2 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Well, now that I know this is a "racist" symbol, I'm going to boycott watching these guys play in the NCAA Tourney this week!!!!  Of all the nerve!!!!bryce-brown.jpg

c070d37c-bc70-4bd1-9968-a5922bdf4be1-USATSI_12360223.jpg

images.jpeg

There it is. They’re gaslighting. If they get called on it, pulling up pictures of Obama and the like doing it is the stock response. 

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Obviously Trump didn't directly cause the shooting in New Zealand.  He's just a "symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose" - according to the shooter's own words.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-offers-us-assistance-after-horrible-massacre-in-new-zealand/2019/03/15/931833d2-4712-11e9-aaf8-4512a6fe3439_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.eee3b5fa53bc

You are trying hard Brother Homer. Why don't you go dig up a good ole old fashioned russia article?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/17/new-zealand-shooter-trump-scott-brown-1224069

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

You are trying hard Brother Homer. Why don't you go dig up a good ole old fashioned russia article?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/17/new-zealand-shooter-trump-scott-brown-1224069

Pressed by anchor Jake Tapper about whether white nationalism is indeed on the rise, Brown, a former Republican senator from Massachusetts, said, “I haven’t seen it here” in New Zealand.

50 dead Muslims. **** you, Scott. 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Why, because he did not blame Trump?

Reading is fundamental, salty. All I’m going to say. 

10 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Reading is fundamental, salty. All I’m going to say. 

I know. Guess it is the wine. Had a few problems and the first I have in quite a while Ben

Archived