Baseball vs TN Game 3

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Mikey must be going nuts over baseball this year...more bunts already than I've seen from CBT in the entire time he's been at AU.

Of course, if we were hitting away more we'd be winning by 6-8 runs a game instead of just a small margin of victory, but if that's what seems to be working....

I'm going to have to have a little talk with Coach. I approved his hiring because he knew bunting was a loser's move. Now he's wandered off the straight and narrow. This meeting goes on my calendar for early next week! :)

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Of course, if we were hitting away more we'd be winning by 6-8 runs a game instead of just a small margin of victory, but if that's what seems to be working....

Average margin of victory over the weekend in the conference was just over 3 runs.  13 of the 21 games were decided by 2 runs or less...the league is just getting more and more competitive.

RPI up to #4 after yesterday.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm going to have to have a little talk with Coach. I approved his hiring because he knew bunting was a loser's move. Now he's wandered off the straight and narrow. This meeting goes on my calendar for early next week! :)

Could be that Gabe has fallen under evil influences...😊

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be that Gabe has fallen under evil influences...😊

The ghost of Billy Martin put a hex on him!

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Average margin of victory over the weekend in the conference was just over 3 runs.  13 of the 21 games were decided by 2 runs or less.

The result of TOO MUCH BUNTING! :)

Ok, this always bunt/never bunt thing has been going on between me and 64 for years. He lets me know when a bunt works (seldom) and I let him know about the many, many times it fails.(frequent) I don't look for the discussion to end any time soon.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The ghost of Billy Martin put a hex on him!

The result of TOO MUCH BUNTING! :)

Ok, this always bunt/never bunt thing has been going on between me and 64 for years. He lets me know when a bunt works (seldom) and I let him know about the many, many times it fails.(frequent) I don't look for the discussion to end any time soon.

Last few years swinging away has probably cost us lots of LOBs......I'm gonna get you signed up to a remedial course on sabermetrics and put you back to work as a third base coach. 

Otherwise, I'm glad you were not watching yesterday when Steven Williams put down a sac bunt....you would have likely have choked up lunch....fortunately he moved two runners into scoring position and they scored on Julien's single....to take the lead and win the game.

Big change...I think...is the base running this year. Much more aggressive and base stealing looks like a serious weapon....and Mikey, if we get good enough at stealing bases....the need for SBs is diminished which should make you very happy. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

.and Mikey, if we get good enough at stealing bases....the need for SBs is diminished which should make you very happy. 

It has ever been my theory that a successful steal is as likely as a successful bunt, with the added benefit that a successful steal doesn't cost the team an out. We do have some speedsters, let's hope we can put that to use on the bases.

56 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It has ever been my theory that a successful steal is as likely as a successful bunt, with the added benefit that a successful steal doesn't cost the team an out. We do have some speedsters, let's hope we can put that to use on the bases.

Think maybe technique or timing has improved this year....Holland was perfect in his attempt last I heard..

Bunts and stolen bases are just part of baseball, and that's what's so great about the game. Both of those offensive options helped us win yesterday. In the past Auburn had very poor technique when bunting and it hurt more often than helped. Everything has improved with better talent and great coaching. I'm all for doing whatever works and Gabe has pretty good judgment on when to use them.

Archived