Bruce Pearl

CameronCrazy

26 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I'm still laughing at the folks that wanted to keep Barbee and saying no coach could win here as we were hiring Pearl. Guess coach Pearl has showed them you can WIN AT AUBURN.

Not just win but WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.   I need to go look up his current contract structure.  I'd like to know the bonuses/incentives currently on his contract. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So happy to have Greene here man. Whether he helps turn leath around, or we find another pres that works well with him, AU athletics as a whole could be set up for a pretty impressive run. I think if it were up to Greene, Bruce would get the lifetime contract. He brought auburn basketball from the ashes to a top level program. I’m just happy about auburn athletics right now man.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, CameronCrazy said:

Pay the man! Give Bruce a Malzahn-type contract extension tomorrow!

Give him a saban contract, the heck with that lol

On 3/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, CameronCrazy said:

Pay the man! Give Bruce a Malzahn-type contract extension tomorrow!

THANK YOU!!!!! Pearl has EARNED IT!

Pay him his earned incentives. Give him a reasonable raise. Don’t get crazy about it. He ain’t even close to calipari $ yet. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Pay him his earned incentives. Give him a reasonable raise. Don’t get crazy about it. He ain’t even close to calipari $ yet. 

He may not be close to that money, but if UK had a real coach like him combined with their innate recruiting advantages, they'd be unstoppable. Calipari is a bottom tier 1 coach to me, wouldnt take him over Roy, the guy from UVA, Jay Wright, Coach K, etc

50 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He may not be close to that money, but if UK had a real coach like him combined with their innate recruiting advantages, they'd be unstoppable. Calipari is a bottom tier 1 coach to me, wouldnt take him over Roy, the guy from UVA, Jay Wright, Coach K, etc

I’m speaking on results. Bruce is just scratching the surface. 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm not a fan of Calipari for many reasons other than coaching but keep in mind that every year he basically starts over with a class of freshmen.....good freshmen but still just freshmen with all the issues that come with them.    We remember what it was like when Harper and others were freshmen. ..and yet even with a bunch of freshmen, they seem to get better as the year goes along which is what should happen. 

JMO but BP this year has the ideal situation this year....no freshmen playing a key role and other than Okeke....a team of juniors and seniors who have been playing together for three years..  That is how teams like Xavier, "nova, Gonzaga and some lesser known schools manage to get deep into the tournament many years.   .    And I think that's what AU needs to do to sustain the program year after year...get some good 4* guys and keep them together for 2 or 3 years at least. .    

BP's biggest challenge going forward is to keep the pipeline flowing with new players who can fill the gaps as the juniors  and seniors leave.  Look at our roster and see the really valuable and experienced players who are leaving.  We have some talent coming in but it takes a while to gain the experience needed in the SEC. 

I could be wrong of course, but I think this is a peak opportunity for AU in the NCAA tourney where experience is gonna make a difference for us.  

I actually think next year stacks up to possibly be an all time great season for Auburn .... IF and DEPENDING on the non-seniors pro decisions.  A case can be made for Harper, Okeke and Wiley all leaving ... or staying (this assumes purifoy stays as he has indicated).  If for some miracle they all stay and we inject the 5 new guys to replace the 3 seniors, we could be a scary good team.  with improved athleticism, length and more balanced scoring.  Our D style will probably stay the same, but we will be able to score from every position.

After that, all 4 of the guys mentioned will leave (plus Amac) and the 5 new guys (plus johnson) will be here and be experienced with 5 more new guys coming in the fold.  If we can hang on to 2 of the 3 listed in first paragraph ... we should have a really good basketball at Auburn for the foreseeable future.  I just got pumped thinking about it!

14 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

What year were you in 85?

Auburn 84-85, so that Spring, I was a freshman.    I think we had a great run and made the elite 8?    I am guessing.  We either made the elite 8 my freshman or soph year.  I remember losing to UNC b/c we started so slow.   I recall we probably outplayed them the last 30 minutes, but were so buried, we couldn't catch up.   

You?  Sounds like we saw some of the same games.

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I actually think next year stacks up to possibly be an all time great season for Auburn .... IF and DEPENDING on the non-seniors pro decisions.  A case can be made for Harper, Okeke and Wiley all leaving ... or staying (this assumes purifoy stays as he has indicated).  If for some miracle they all stay and we inject the 5 new guys to replace the 3 seniors, we could be a scary good team.  with improved athleticism, length and more balanced scoring.  Our D style will probably stay the same, but we will be able to score from every position.

After that, all 4 of the guys mentioned will leave (plus Amac) and the 5 new guys (plus johnson) will be here and be experienced with 5 more new guys coming in the fold.  If we can hang on to 2 of the 3 listed in first paragraph ... we should have a really good basketball at Auburn for the foreseeable future.  I just got pumped thinking about it!

If 2 of the 3 are Harper and Okeke, then yes we have a very good chance to compete again for the SEC, and the NCAAs. 

If we lose all 3, no chance...mainly bc we will be so so inexperienced. 

19 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

So glad we hired Bruce as I was on here promoting him the whole time. Hope he sgays for awhile and gets us a Natty. As for Leach I'll help him pack.

Who's leach?   Might want to at least know the guy's name you want to get rid of.   :headscratch:

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

If 2 of the 3 are Harper and Okeke, then yes we have a very good chance to compete again for the SEC, and the NCAAs. 

If we lose all 3, no chance...mainly bc we will be so so inexperienced. 

I think they'll all come back.  But then again, I'm a sunshine pumper.

I think they all need more time playing college ball, and I think they all love Auburn.  So I think they'll be back.

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Who's leach?   Might want to at least know the guy's name you want to get rid of.   :headscratch:

Spelled it that way on purpose as its a pretty close description. Met him and still not impressed.

20 hours ago, alexava said:

I’m speaking on results. Bruce is just scratching the surface. 

I disagree on this. You and I could recruit, and win a decent number of games, at Kentucky. No one in the history of AU bball has done what Pearl just did the past two seasons. Sonny Smith was only winning 18 to 22 games with guys like Barkley and Person. Pearl is a magician and he deserves whatever he wants. The arena should have his name on it by April.

Edit - He's done it amid suspensions, injuries and transfers that have really hurt depth and team chemistry/continuity. It's amazing these teams keep fighting through the adversity and turnover they have faced. This makes Pearl's record even more impressive in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Beaker said:

Auburn 84-85, so that Spring, I was a freshman.    I think we had a great run and made the elite 8?    I am guessing.  We either made the elite 8 my freshman or soph year.  I remember losing to UNC b/c we started so slow.   I recall we probably outplayed them the last 30 minutes, but were so buried, we couldn't catch up.   

You?  Sounds like we saw some of the same games.

I was an “older” student. ;)

Sweet 16 in 85. Elite 8 in 86– lost narrowly to eventual winner Louisville and Person outplayed never nervous Pervis Ellison.

23 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I disagree on this. You and I could recruit, and win a decent number of games, at Kentucky. No one in the history of AU bball has done what Pearl just did the past two seasons. Sonny Smith was only winning 18 to 22 games with guys like Barkley and Person. Pearl is a magician and he deserves whatever he wants. The arena should have his name on it by April.

Edit - He's done it amid suspensions, injuries and transfers that have really hurt depth and team chemistry/continuity. It's amazing these teams keep fighting through the adversity and turnover they have faced. This makes Pearl's record even more impressive in my opinion. 

That’s why I said results. Championships. Final Fours. #1 seeds.  Forget how they got there.  The same argument could be made for Cliff Ellis. If Bruce IS that good , it will happen as you wish in a year or two. Right now we could be on a temporary peak. Don’t overreact to something we might not see again. 

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I was an “older” student. ;)

Sweet 16 in 85. Elite 8 in 86– lost narrowly to eventual winner Louisville and Person outplayed never nervous Pervis Ellison.

You are a blessed Tiger:  you enjoyed Barkley and Persons, Little Train and Bo.    

Maybe the Big Hurt and Ruthie Bolton.  Rowdy Gaines probably swam through your first year or two. ....I didn't see much baseball.     I had too much going on with work, ROTC and oh yeah, school. 

I consider this era as the birth of 'modern Auburn athletics'.   

On 3/19/2019 at 11:07 PM, alexava said:

That’s why I said results. Championships. Final Fours. #1 seeds.  Forget how they got there.  The same argument could be made for Cliff Ellis. If Bruce IS that good , it will happen as you wish in a year or two. Right now we could be on a temporary peak. Don’t overreact to something we might not see again. 

AU has never been to a final four, so that's not a realistic benchmark. It's like Kentucky waiting to pay Stoops until he gets them to a football playoff. 

Your Ellis comparison is a fair point - but I would counter that he basically caught lightning in a bottle twice with two guys (Porter and Daniels). It never felt like he was recruiting or building anything special, for sustained success. Pearl's knack for bringing in transfers plus the incoming recruiting class make this feel different from 2000 and anything else Cliff did. Ellis won some games but he was a low-energy nerd who sat on the bench and acted like he'd rather be playing jazz music. I was a freshman in 97 (his 4th year) when Beard Eaves was very nearly empty for every single game, before Porter transferred in from Juco in 98. Contrast that with the intensity, brand and atmosphere Bruce has created from day one - even when he wasn't winning. 

Here's the bigger picture that you're missing: It's about more than just the wins and banners. I think Pearl is the best ambassador for AU that we have had in my lifetime. He genuinely seems to love Auburn, and expresses that better than anyone I can think of on a national stage. It's hard to put a price tag on that sort of ebullience. He's 59; I would have no qualms about a 10-year contract to make sure he retires here. 

I really hope the AD sits down with him after this season during the typical 'season review' that all coaches go through and let's him know that Auburn wants to do whatever it takes to keep him happy here for a long long time. Let him know that we're committed to his vision, and listen to anything he advises on in order to make the program elite.

2 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

AU has never been to a final four, so that's not a realistic benchmark. It's like Kentucky waiting to pay Stoops until he gets them to a football playoff. 

Your Ellis comparison is a fair point - but I would counter that he basically caught lightning in a bottle twice with two guys (Porter and Daniels). It never felt like he was recruiting or building anything special, for sustained success. Pearl's knack for bringing in transfers plus the incoming recruiting class make this feel different from 2000 and anything else Cliff did. Ellis won some games but he was a low-energy nerd who sat on the bench and acted like he'd rather be playing jazz music. I was a freshman in 97 (his 4th year) when Beard Eaves was very nearly empty for every single game, before Porter transferred in from Juco in 98. Contrast that with the intensity, brand and atmosphere Bruce has created from day one - even when he wasn't winning. 

Here's the bigger picture that you're missing: It's about more than just the wins and banners. I think Pearl is the best ambassador for AU that we have had in my lifetime. He genuinely seems to love Auburn, and expresses that better than anyone I can think of on a national stage. It's hard to put a price tag on that sort of ebullience. He's 59; I would have no qualms about a 10-year contract to make sure he retires here. 

I would absolutely do this! Why should we be hesitant to completely buy in to a coach who is doing things with our program that have either never been done, or only done once before.

Just the growth in revenue from soda sales and b-ball gear should pay for a big raise for CBP! He’s made more money for the b-ball department in 3-4 years than others brought in the last 10-12 years combined! Pay the guy.

16 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

100% Correct...Auburn basketball halftimes turned into the Cliff Ellis elevator music show. I remember looking around and wondering if I was the only one who thought it was extremely annoying.  The music alone made it a justifiable firing.

Archived