Bruce Pearl

CameronCrazy

On 3/17/2019 at 8:32 PM, mustache eagle said:

Give him an average salary and bonus him like crrrrraaaazzzy.  Give him a mil for reg season title.  350k for sec tourney.  High Bonuses for grades.   Etc...  

I still think this is the smart play for our next football coach. Modest base salary with insane incentives for SEC Champ, Playoff, Playoff win, Championship win, bowl wins, individual awards, etc.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I still think this is the smart play for our next football coach. Modest base salary with insane incentives for SEC Champ, Playoff, Playoff win, Championship win, bowl wins, individual awards, etc.

Modest base salaries get you mediocre coaches unfortunately

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Or up-and-comers... Bill Clark probably wouldn't have minded

Edit: we already have mediocre so at least we'll be paying less (joking)

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well look what a high salary got AU...

4 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Well look what a high salary got AU...

LOL I get it. But you have to offer high salaries to be in the conversation for elite coaches.

It's our own admins fault for paying top dollar for football coaches with medium dollar (or less) skills. We finally have an elite level coach in a money making sport with Bruce. Lets give him the equivalent to the football money we give to coaches in hopes that they become what Bruce actually is. We don't have to hope for Bruce to turn into a star and sustain success because we have seen him do it in this conference before. Pay the man and lock him down for the next decade. This is not some "lets pay him in hopes of what he may become" situation. We have a rock star and we need to do all we can to keep him here IMO.

Tiger......Do I recall that the football coaches getting those salaries and contracts  were both part of national championship level teams that brought in a fortune to the school and paid for about every other sports program  ?    And the enthusiasm to reward them with long term or expensive contracts resulted in plenty of buyer's remorse.     JMO  but I think you are making a bad comparison.   

I'm just thinking that the enthusiasm over this year is overloading the neural switches in some folks.   JMO but the real test is sustaining the success....not just a quick burst for a couple years with a special group of athletes.      Give BP the bonuses...but learn something about the hazards of long term contracts awarded in moments of euphoria. 

I just flipped on the sec network and Finebaum said Bruce Pearl was coming up. If I was Bruce Pearl, I would never give that dirtbag any time. He declared for about a month that Pearl would be fired.  I’d tell him to go pound sand.

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I just flipped on the sec network and Finebaum said Bruce Pearl was coming up. If I was Bruce Pearl, I would never give that dirtbag any time. He declared for about a month that Pearl would be fired.  I’d tell him to go pound sand.

That's OK.  PF is wrong in most of his predictions.  BP knows how to promote the program and PF has a lot of viewers and listeners.  

Just now, around4ever said:

That's OK.  PF is wrong in most of his predictions.  BP knows how to promote the program and PF has a lot of viewers and listeners.  

I’m making myself watch (guess that’s the point). I’m thinking he will now be kissing pearls butt. I’ll enjoy that.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:47 AM, Beaker said:

You are a blessed Tiger:  you enjoyed Barkley and Persons, Little Train and Bo.    

Maybe the Big Hurt and Ruthie Bolton.  Rowdy Gaines probably swam through your first year or two. ....I didn't see much baseball.     I had too much going on with work, ROTC and oh yeah, school. 

I consider this era as the birth of 'modern Auburn athletics'.   

Those were my years, too...Fall 1984 through Spring 1988. To look at them in hindsight is just wow...and I wasn't half into college sports as I am now. Huge crush on Gregg Carr...ha, but I also remember these contributors: Randy Campbell, Al delGreco, Ben Tamburello, Freddy Weygand, Lawyer Tillman, Quentin Riggins, Brent Fullwood, Aundray Bruce, (now, Coach) Tracy Rocker, and (now, Brother) Chette Williams. Greg Louganis. Everyone has a favorite era. I'm glad so many from that time still have the influence and passion of these. 

26 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Serious question...Would you trade Bruce Pearl for Nick Saban?

No. Would I trade the REC for the Talon Club? Maybe...

59 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I’m making myself watch (guess that’s the point). I’m thinking he will now be kissing pearls butt. I’ll enjoy that.

How was it?

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Don't think you can ask this before seeing how this season plays out...Pearl has done 10x the job, no doubt, but I wanna see how things finish out first. I will say, BP's first year was that SEC tourney run I think...Saban's first was that embarrassment against ULM. That's something to keep in mind.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

I'm a hostage situation? No freaking way. 😁

Ignoring his obvious troll attempts to encourage other teams to hire Bruce but he makes a great point. He is right. I absolutely believe Bruce is a top 10 coach in basketball AND WE NEED TO PAY THE MAN!!!! The assistant staff pool is even more embarrassing 13th out of 14 in the sec?! Come on. We are not a MS school. We have the money. Give him the much deserved pay bump in salary after the season along with upping the assistant salary pool so we can attract top notch assistant coaches. 

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ignoring his obvious troll attempts to encourage other teams to hire Bruce but he makes a great point. He is right. I absolutely believe Bruce is a top 10 coach in basketball AND WE NEED TO PAY THE MAN!!!! The assistant staff pool is even more embarrassing 13th out of 14 in the sec?! Come on. We are not a MS school. We have the money. Give him the much deserved pay bump in salary after the season along with upping the assistant salary pool so we can attract top notch assistant coaches. 

Vanderbilt? :laugh:

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Vanderbilt? :laugh:

That one is because he is a vandy alum haha

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

That one is because he is a vandy alum haha

I forgot that. I was thinking he was UT. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I forgot that. I was thinking he was UT. 

He actually never went to UT. He just grew up a HUGE Vol fan being from the state of TN and still is to this day. He went to George Washington for undergrad and Vandy for law school. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He actually never went to UT. He just grew up a HUGE Vol fan being from the state of TN and still is to this day. He went to George Washington for undergrad and Vandy for law school. 

Had to go back and like your post. You are 1000% correct. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Had to go back and like your post. You are 1000% correct. 

Haha thanks fam! Lets hope Vandy hires John Thompson the Third like has been rumored. He is a abysmal coach that flamed out at a way better program in Georgetown. I would welcome that hire to the SEC!

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Those were my years, too...Fall 1984 through Spring 1988. To look at them in hindsight is just wow...and I wasn't half into college sports as I am now. Huge crush on Gregg Carr...ha, but I also remember these contributors: Randy Campbell, Al delGreco, Ben Tamburello, Freddy Weygand, Lawyer Tillman, Quentin Riggins, Brent Fullwood, Aundray Bruce, (now, Coach) Tracy Rocker, and (now, Brother) Chette Williams. Greg Louganis. Everyone has a favorite era. I'm glad so many from that time still have the influence and passion of these. 

Looks like we were exact contemporaries at AU! What a great time to be a student (as if there is ever a bad time)! And, I was WAY too far into college sports but still managed to keep up with my academics. Can't believe how fortunate I was to be at Auburn during that time period (and, man, were my parents mad that I didn't go to Vandy and some others,lol)!

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Tiger......Do I recall that the football coaches getting those salaries and contracts  were both part of national championship level teams that brought in a fortune to the school and paid for about every other sports program  ?    And the enthusiasm to reward them with long term or expensive contracts resulted in plenty of buyer's remorse.     JMO  but I think you are making a bad comparison.   

I'm just thinking that the enthusiasm over this year is overloading the neural switches in some folks.   JMO but the real test is sustaining the success....not just a quick burst for a couple years with a special group of athletes.      Give BP the bonuses...but learn something about the hazards of long term contracts awarded in moments of euphoria. 

The difference is BP, when hired, had a proven track record of being very successful as a head coach at a major D1 school(and at a lesser school)....and, would have been the coach there for a long time but for a spate of dishonesty for a relatively minor issue (for which he was punished much more severely than he deserved- and, yes, I thought that before he was ever named AU basketball coach). Auburn, hopefully, has an opportunity to lock in an elite coach for a long tenure if we play our cards right. I hope like hell AG does what is,IMO, best for the program's long-term success.

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Great post, but Greg Louganis??? How about Gregg Olson, relief pitcher? I'm just guessing that's who you meant. I will add Vicki Orr and Mae Ola Bolton from women's BB. I was at AU from 1986 to 1989, so I know all of those names AND got to watch the 1989 Iron Bowl in Jordan-Hare as a graduating senior!!! War Eagle!!!

Archived