Run blocking grades

twilli13

So apparently Auburns online was 20th in the nation in run blocking grade. Anyone who watched our line last year saw us struggle running the ball, so run blocking grade must be a pretty poor metric for offensive line effectiveness. Anyone in the know...does the grade mainly depend on blocking the right guy and not getting pancaked? I'm assuming amount of push or opening holes doesnt factor in to the grade. Thoughts?

At one school it was a scale between -2 & +2 another was 0-4.

Using the later, a 0 would mean you made a really bad mental error or a penalty. A 1 means a missed assignment or missed tackle. A 2 means you carried out your assignment but your technique was not where it should be. A 3 is for executing your assignment with good technique. A 4 is for an exceptional play, exceptional effort, or a TO.

I'm not sure the exact criteria for run blocking, but the grading would be similar.

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

So apparently Auburns online was 20th in the nation in run blocking grade. Anyone who watched our line last year saw us struggle running the ball, so run blocking grade must be a pretty poor metric for offensive line effectiveness. Anyone in the know...does the grade mainly depend on blocking the right guy and not getting pancaked? I'm assuming amount of push or opening holes doesnt factor in to the grade. Thoughts?

Is there a  link with this info??

I know they got a lot better as the season went on but you could have fooled me.  I thought on the whole they were mediocre by SEC standards until those last few games.  I’m looking for them to pick up where they left off in the bowl game and be the best in the SEC this year.  

15 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I know they got a lot better as the season went on but you could have fooled me.  I thought on the whole they were mediocre by SEC standards until those last few games.  I’m looking for them to pick up where they left off in the bowl game and be the best in the SEC this year.  

Mostly as the season went on the competition got tougher.  Not sure that anyone's OL was gonna look very good against TAMU, uga and bama.   Guys apparently learned a lot in that stretch 'cause they ate up Purdue.....not a great team but probably in the same class with the middle teams of the SEC who gave us problems early. 

On 3/19/2019 at 12:47 PM, AU64 said:

Mostly as the season went on the competition got tougher.  Not sure that anyone's OL was gonna look very good against TAMU, uga and bama.   Guys apparently learned a lot in that stretch 'cause they ate up Purdue.....not a great team but probably in the same class with the middle teams of the SEC who gave us problems early. 

Unfortunately to have the kind of team we want at Auburn, we are going to have to run block well against those defenses going forward. Just the reality. 

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:19 PM, twilli13 said:

Unfortunately to have the kind of team we want at Auburn, we are going to have to run block well against those defenses going forward. Just the reality. 

I guess everyone feels that way...I was just suggesting that our guys got better as the year went along and that perhaps they were better than they are getting credit for.   JMO …what we want at AU is a team that can beat those guys ….however we can....run or pass...and not many people beat those guys running the ball.  

On 3/18/2019 at 12:13 PM, twilli13 said:

It wasn't horrible at times.

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Apparently S2H is the new ICHY. 

@cole256 , first I steal your material and now I've stolen your stalker. 😂

He said he was going to block me so I shouldn't have to see his posts anymore.....he pulled up my posts from 4 months ago and tells me he's blocking me 😂. Can't make this stuff up

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Apparently S2H is the new ICHY. 

@cole256 , first I steal your material and now I've stolen your stalker. 😂

Ain't but one ICHY.........................thank god

Hopefully year 2 under Ole Grimey will pay dividends.  Like many said the line got better as the season went on.  Left tackle traditionally has been a point of strength under Grimes in Gus’s offense.  I could see Tega shooting up the rankings of OTs in the nations similar to Robinson, Coleman etc.  If Auburn can solidify the middle then this Oline could be pretty good especially if Joey wins out and defenses have to respect the read option again.

Archived