Sign in to follow this  
Metalsinger418

2019 Spring Practice Begins

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

This is what I love to see

 

Sal didn't take any crap from that DB. Gotta like that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I have a thought on the QB situation.

Under CGM's tenure as OC and HC, Auburn has struggled to find success with non-transfer QBs, but has had good success with transfer QBs (Cam Newton in 2010, Nick Marshall in 2013, and Jarrett Stidham in 2017).

There has been plenty of criticism at CGM's and staff's inability to develop QB talent and relying on transfer QBs.

Given that, I don't quite understand the theory Joey Gatewood is a likely starter. He was only a part-time QB in high school. He certainly has the physical tools, but has he been coached to become a starting SEC QB?

Bo Nix is different. He has benefited from being coached by a former QB who also spent time as a college QB coach. He has benefited from getting that coaching not only during the season, but during the off-season as well. I can imagine even watching an NFL game on a Sunday afternoon growing up was a learning experience under the tutelage of Pat Nix.

My gut says Nix comes into Auburn more "coached up" than a typical true freshman. He might be at a similar level Jarrett Stidham was at in 2017 with one year as a player for a major college football team under his belt. He may have fewer bad habits to coach out. He may have a higher "football IQ" that a typical true freshman. He may have more in common with a transfer QB because of the additional coaching he has received.

For that reason, I do not see how Gatewood has an advantage over Nix. I think any advantage Gatewood gets from being "in the system" for a year is matched by Nix's additional coaching. I think they start even.

My gut says Gatewood and Nix emerge from spring training as the two leaders, but I think in the summer we may see Nix pull away.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Looks like RBs got owned

Yeah because they're going up against LB's, who do you think is going to win those battles more times than not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, meh130 said:

I have a thought on the QB situation.

Under CGM's tenure as OC and HC, Auburn has struggled to find success with non-transfer QBs, but has had good success with transfer QBs (Cam Newton in 2010, Nick Marshall in 2013, and Jarrett Stidham in 2017).

There has been plenty of criticism at CGM's and staff's inability to develop QB talent and relying on transfer QBs.

Given that, I don't quite understand the theory Joey Gatewood is a likely starter. He was only a part-time QB in high school. He certainly has the physical tools, but has he been coached to become a starting SEC QB?

Bo Nix is different. He has benefited from being coached by a former QB who also spent time as a college QB coach. He has benefited from getting that coaching not only during the season, but during the off-season as well. I can imagine even watching an NFL game on a Sunday afternoon growing up was a learning experience under the tutelage of Pat Nix.

My gut says Nix comes into Auburn more "coached up" than a typical true freshman. He might be at a similar level Jarrett Stidham was at in 2017 with one year as a player for a major college football team under his belt. He may have fewer bad habits to coach out. He may have a higher "football IQ" that a typical true freshman. He may have more in common with a transfer QB because of the additional coaching he has received.

For that reason, I do not see how Gatewood has an advantage over Nix. I think any advantage Gatewood gets from being "in the system" for a year is matched by Nix's additional coaching. I think they start even.

My gut says Gatewood and Nix emerge from spring training as the two leaders, but I think in the summer we may see Nix pull away.

My thoughts exactly.  Nix didn't bring his 5-star rating to Auburn to redshirt.  He's been a starting varsity QB since the 8th grade, coached by a former starting Auburn QB.  I think he's as ready as Trevor Lawrence was this time last year.

I think Gus already feels it's Nix's race to lose.  It may seem unfair, but Gatewood is not playing on a level field in this competition.  If the competition is anywhere near close, Nix will win.  And Gatewood will probably transfer.

Just my opinion.  But consider this: I've also always thought Alpo was the best dog food, and 4 out of 5 dogs agree with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 4:13 PM, KolchakAU85 said:

My thoughts exactly.  Nix didn't bring his 5-star rating to Auburn to redshirt.  He's been a starting varsity QB since the 8th grade, coached by a former starting Auburn QB.  I think he's as ready as Trevor Lawrence was this time last year.

I think Gus already feels it's Nix's race to lose.  It may seem unfair, but Gatewood is not playing on a level field in this competition.  If the competition is anywhere near close, Nix will win.  And Gatewood will probably transfer.

Just my opinion.  But consider this: I've also always thought Alpo was the best dog food, and 4 out of 5 dogs agree with me.

ok

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or should Gus be thanking Bruce a ton right now?  This last month has taken a lot of attention off of spring practice and allowed the football team to just do their thing in relative peace.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think this is the case. I don't know anyone who has been to practice but word is that Nix is running 2nd to Gatewood. Gatewood has been the best, by a bit. 

This is fantastic news. Either Bo or Joey G starting is a huge huge win in my book. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think this is the case. I don't know anyone who has been to practice but word is that Nix is running 2nd to Gatewood. Gatewood has been the best, by a bit. 

GateWOOD or bust. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Gus has always felt that if you CANT HOLD ON TO THE FOOTBALL THEN YOU SHOULDNT BE A RUNNING BACK. and I agree 100000%. 

That's exactly why K. Martin, his last 2 years has seen limited playing time, as he had a habit of losing the football.

I still believe he is not the all-round back you need to take the pounding in the SEC as well as a back that can get YAC yards. He's a good change of pace back, which we need though....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone that thinks running backs are not football players if they lost the football on occasion has probably not played much football and darn sure not ever participated in the old bull in the ring drills. i am pretty sure bo was one hell of a running back and i am sure might have lost a fumble or three.................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

GateWOOD or bust. 

Boobee... Wood... too bad we lost Cox

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That's exactly why K. Martin, his last 2 years has seen limited playing time, as he had a habit of losing the football.

 

I believe he has fumbled 3 times in 3 years with zero lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

GreatWOOD or bust. 

FIFY

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big Gatewood homer when he was just a sophomore or junior.....now I just want a QB to not be ruined. I feel like Bo could be put in a bad situation but how we used Gatewood in the past may be a bad situation for him too. But we'll see.....I've been very high on McClain as far as defense so I'm hoping he has a big spring as well. I feel like there's one person I'm leaving off that I've been talking about for a while. When I get more back into football mode I'll remember

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think this is the case. I don't know anyone who has been to practice but word is that Nix is running 2nd to Gatewood. Gatewood has been the best, by a bit. 

 

IMG_1759.GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think this is the case. I don't know anyone who has been to practice but word is that Nix is running 2nd to Gatewood. Gatewood has been the best, by a bit. 

We ought to have a pool on this.

I've got 5 imaginary e-bux that says Nix will be the starter against Oregon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

We ought to have a pool on this.

I've got 5 imaginary e-bux that says Nix will be the starter against Oregon.

Bet your account...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Bet your account...

I'll bet your account.  But not mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this