Null



Metalsinger418

2019 Spring Practice Begins

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

We ought to have a pool on this.

I've got 5 imaginary e-bux that says Nix will be the starter against Oregon.

I wouldn't sell Gatewood short. He was mis-used in high school as far as his QB development is concerned but has since had a year in the program and is a true physical specimen. I'm not predicting this, but would not be shocked to see a Gatewood followed by Willis or Sandberg setup with Nix redshirting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Okay, so this "information" comes from a close friend and High School head football coach who got to be on the sidelines during the Auburn spring practices last week. He's usually pretty connected to the ins-and-outs of what's happening with the team. Please take this information with a grain of salt and it's solely coming from his perspective and not comments from any Auburn staff.

Speaking on Willis, "if we had to go into war today he'd be the starter though everyone (Nix, Gatewood, Willis) seemed to get equal reps with the starting receivers. He has the best deep ball but is looking to run it too often."

Speaking on Gatewood, "he's the poor man's Cam Newton. If he doesn't get a decent amount of playing time he'll likely transfer. He has the size and mobility to keep the play alive. All of them desperately need more game time and it's the tightest QB race I've seen at Auburn in a long time."

Speaking on Nix, "he's as raw as raw can be. He makes all the throws and will put the ball on the money. However, he's young and more likely to force the ball into harm's way. I don't care what anyone says he needs to redshirt and maintain his four years of eligibility; if he did he'd be a 3 year starter for us before going pro. He is just like his dad." Then I asked him, jokingly, "so would you say he's the rich man's Sean White?" He chuckled and agreed that was accurate. He also commented that if things are looking ugly burn the redshirt and let Nix get the experience for the rest of the season.

Again, take it for what it's worth but if Nix is turning the ball over at practice it's not a good sign for him this season to be the starter day 1. As I've mentioned before I also don't think Gus will ever start a true freshman at quarterback unless he's absolutely desperate or he has the next Trevor Lawrence/Tua type freshman. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone on this board think that Gus really could spot the next Tua or great one?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wouldn't sell Gatewood short. He was mis-used in high school as far as his QB development is concerned but has since had a year in the program and is a true physical specimen. I'm not predicting this, but would not be shocked to see a Gatewood followed by Willis or Sandberg setup with Nix redshirting.

Would be great to have Bo redshirt but I don't think he will. Not if he is ready to play at a SEC level, which he seems to be able to. IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, warhogone said:

Does anyone on this board think that Gus really could spot the next Tua or great one?

Nope. He'd move him to WR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wouldn't sell Gatewood short. He was mis-used in high school as far as his QB development is concerned but has since had a year in the program and is a true physical specimen. I'm not predicting this, but would not be shocked to see a Gatewood followed by Willis or Sandberg setup with Nix redshirting.

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Okay, so this "information" comes from a close friend and High School head football coach who got to be on the sidelines during the Auburn spring practices last week. He's usually pretty connected to the ins-and-outs of what's happening with the team. Please take this information with a grain of salt and it's solely coming from his perspective and not comments from any Auburn staff.

Speaking on Willis, "if we had to go into war today he'd be the starter though everyone (Nix, Gatewood, Willis) seemed to get equal reps with the starting receivers. He has the best deep ball but is looking to run it too often."

Speaking on Gatewood, "he's the poor man's Cam Newton. If he doesn't get a decent amount of playing time he'll likely transfer. He has the size and mobility to keep the play alive. All of them desperately need more game time and it's the tightest QB race I've seen at Auburn in a long time."

Speaking on Nix, "he's as raw as raw can be. He makes all the throws and will put the ball on the money. However, he's young and more likely to force the ball into harm's way. I don't care what anyone says he needs to redshirt and maintain his four years of eligibility; if he did he'd be a 3 year starter for us before going pro. He is just like his dad." Then I asked him, jokingly, "so would you say he's the rich man's Sean White?" He chuckled and agreed that was accurate. He also commented that if things are looking ugly burn the redshirt and let Nix get the experience for the rest of the season.

Again, take it for what it's worth but if Nix is turning the ball over at practice it's not a good sign for him this season to be the starter day 1. As I've mentioned before I also don't think Gus will ever start a true freshman at quarterback unless he's absolutely desperate or he has the next Trevor Lawrence/Tua type freshman. 

 

I found this interesting. If he is making all the throws and put the ball on the money and how raw is he? Young yes. I don't get how that makes him raw at the QB position. The way this comment is set up, the idea is the ASSUMPTION that he will turn the ball over due to him being young. In terms of Gatewood, he doesn't speak anything about how he passes. That would've been nice to know. Speaking of Willis, He says he has the best deep ball but is looking to run too often. He felt that he would be the starter although everyone gets equal reps. Then he doesn't even speak about our fourth QB... I don't know how much we can take from this LOL. But thanks for sharing anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Malik being ahead of the others would contradict the other reports that it’s a Nix/Gatewood race.  Also after a couple ducks I saw Malik throw up last year I’m a little skeptical about him having the best long ball.  I can see him not making the read and trying to run it every play.  That tells me he may struggle reading defenses which doesn’t bode well for his downfield passing either.  That being said I know nothing and I’m sure some things will come out after Saturday’s scrimmage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, warhogone said:

Does anyone on this board think that Gus really could spot the next Tua or great one?

 

IMG_1760.GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, warhogone said:

Does anyone on this board think that Gus really could spot the next Tua or great one?

Sure, he's the one on the OU, UA, CU, UGA, OSU sidelines

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be glad if people would stop comparing Joey to Cam.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just think it is a shame that fans now pretty much have to BUY "real" practice information on spring practice instead of the feel good stories etc. i understand the not giving away stuff to the other teams but good grief. I wish auburn had a guy other than gus and kevin to keep the fans decently informed on how stuff is really going. especially after all the crap coming out last year about gus and the buyouts and that sort of thing. i will always believe it is not fair to the fans. and yeah i know..life is tough or suck it up buttercup. not for this ol boy. have some decency for the fans............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 12:35 PM, aubiefifty said:

anyone that thinks running backs are not football players if they lost the football on occasion has probably not played much football and darn sure not ever participated in the old bull in the ring drills. i am pretty sure bo was one hell of a running back and i am sure might have lost a fumble or three.................

Of course you are correct, a fumble here and there is one thing. But nothing takes the wind out of the sails faster than a fumble on the 5 yard line after a 12 play, 75 yard drive.......except a red zone pick, and of course we almost never throw in the red zone either. you have to admit Gus must hate it too because any of his RB make a habit out of it, they fly down the depth chart.  

Also, I did a little research and one Sir Bo Jackson NEVER fumbled EVER and that goes back to Pop Warner. Including pick up sandlot games.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The word on Gatewood since he was old enough to garner attention is that he is just a natural freak athlete. Give  him a set of golf clubs and he’d be a scratch golfer within a year kind of athlete. Focus  on pretty much any sport and he would be outstanding. Just one of those extremely  rare people. He split time with another outstanding quarterback in high school but he played some other positions and nobody ever recruited him based on his numbers.  he is just one of those crazy specimens with EXTREME natural athletic ability. When I played Little League in Maitland FL if you were 11 you played with the 11-year-olds, 12 played with the 12-year-olds and so on and longtime Detroit Tigers 3B Travis Fryman played with the 15-year-olds when he was 11. No other exceptions were ever given before or after him. You just know he was going pro. Gatewood just has it.  Of course it sounds like Bo is a hell of a player. CHAMPAGNE PROBLEMS!!!!  at least I hope so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you watched any of Bo’s high school games you would understand he’s gonna have some early picks. He squeezed balls into very tight places. Those tight places will be even tighter and result in interceptions in sec football. Now is the time to learn what you can do and cannot do. I wish I could watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Gatewood and Willis have an advantage over Nix. Simply because he has been in the system longer. He is more familiar with the offense than Nix.

Edited by NickFairleyFan90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Malik being ahead of the others would contradict the other reports that it’s a Nix/Gatewood race.  Also after a couple ducks I saw Malik throw up last year I’m a little skeptical about him having the best long ball.  I can see him not making the read and trying to run it every play.  That tells me he may struggle reading defenses which doesn’t bode well for his downfield passing either.  That being said I know nothing and I’m sure some things will come out after Saturday’s scrimmage.

That will be interesting to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

especially after all the crap coming out last year about gus and the buyouts and that sort of thing.

Regardless of the source, if something sounds totally crazy it's not true. The insane buyout/ Gus has to take a pay cut to stay etc , etc rumors weren't the only rumors flying around last December that absolutely made no sense at all. When something doesn't make any sense it's best to just ignore it or laugh at it, as the mood strikes.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, warhogone said:

Does anyone on this board think that Gus really could spot the next Tua or great one?

I mean everybody spotted them. They were not hard to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Of course you are correct, a fumble here and there is one thing. But nothing takes the wind out of the sails faster than a fumble on the 5 yard line after a 12 play, 75 yard drive.......except a red zone pick, and of course we almost never throw in the red zone either. you have to admit Gus must hate it too because any of his RB make a habit out of it, they fly down the depth chart.  

Also, I did a little research and one Sir Bo Jackson NEVER fumbled EVER and that goes back to Pop Warner. Including pick up sandlot games.  

wow i never knew that about bo!. thanx for the insight..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 8:59 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think this is the case. I don't know anyone who has been to practice but word is that Nix is running 2nd to Gatewood. Gatewood has been the best, by a bit. 

 

DA8B8AD1-16AC-415E-B5EB-61A7158E2358.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll also go on record, if Shivers isn’t a 8-10 touch a game guy, at minimum this season, I will be livid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...