2019 Spring Practice Begins

Metalsinger418

You look at every QB, we need a run first team. Gatewood= run first, Willis= run first, Sandberg= run first, Nix= you need to have a strong running game for a true fr, especially in sec ball. Hoping Gus goes back to eye candy, make the D actually have to think. We have the skill position players, that we have recruited, to make teams actually have to respect the eye candy and the motions. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, MaitlandTiger said:

The word on Gatewood since he was old enough to garner attention is that he is just a natural freak athlete. Give  him a set of golf clubs and he’d be a scratch golfer within a year kind of athlete. Focus  on pretty much any sport and he would be outstanding. Just one of those extremely  rare people. He split time with another outstanding quarterback in high school but he played some other positions and nobody ever recruited him based on his numbers.  he is just one of those crazy specimens with EXTREME natural athletic ability. When I played Little League in Maitland FL if you were 11 you played with the 11-year-olds, 12 played with the 12-year-olds and so on and longtime Detroit Tigers 3B Travis Fryman played with the 15-year-olds when he was 11. No other exceptions were ever given before or after him. You just know he was going pro. Gatewood just has it.  Of course it sounds like Bo is a hell of a player. CHAMPAGNE PROBLEMS!!!!  at least I hope so. 

Then why was Gatewood not used more as a QB in high school? Why did he split reps in high school?

Was he such a freak they needed to use him in a variety of positions? I assume that could be an explanation.

The other issue I see is CGM does not have a track record of developing a QB. The closest attempt was Nick Marshall in the 2013-2014 off season. Other than that, CGM inherited QBs, and the ones he recruited from high school did not pan out.

Can CGM and CKD develop Gatewood? Or Willis? Or Sandberg? Or is the real Auburn QB coach Pat Nix, and Bo comes in having been coached from elsewhere, like a transfer QB?

13 hours ago, meh130 said:

Then why was Gatewood not used more as a QB in high school? Why did he split reps in high school?

Was he such a freak they needed to use him in a variety of positions? I assume that could be an explanation.

The other issue I see is CGM does not have a track record of developing a QB. The closest attempt was Nick Marshall in the 2013-2014 off season. Other than that, CGM inherited QBs, and the ones he recruited from high school did not pan out.

Can CGM and CKD develop Gatewood? Or Willis? Or Sandberg? Or is the real Auburn QB coach Pat Nix, and Bo comes in having been coached from elsewhere, like a transfer QB?

If you want answers to your Gatewood questions then do a little research and read the thread about him and you will see it hashed out 1000 times over

On 3/27/2019 at 10:50 PM, meh130 said:

Or is the real Auburn QB coach Pat Nix, and Bo comes in having been coached from elsewhere, like a transfer QB?

Dude. I've been as harsh as anybody in assessing the job Gus has(n't) done with his QBs. But if Nix finds success at Auburn, there's absolutely no way you can't give his college coaches credit. You can give Pat Nix all the credit in the world for giving a high school QB a chance to find success in college, but there's no way you can't give the kid's college coaches credit for him actually finding that success. 

At some point you have to focus on the present. 

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude. I've been as harsh as anybody in assessing the job Gus has(n't) done with his QBs. But if Nix finds success at Auburn, there's absolutely no way you can't give his college coaches credit. You can give Pat Nix all the credit in the world for giving a high school QB a chance to find success in college, but there's no way you can't give the kid's college coaches credit for him actually finding that success. 

This is so true.  The development of the QB position is one of the fundamental issues that will make or break Gus this year.  No matter who wins the job, it will be a testament to how/if Gus can develop a QB without someone else’s influence. It will directly affect the W/L record and, therefore, his future.

On 4/1/2019 at 9:02 AM, McLoofus said:

there's absolutely no way you can't give his college coaches credit.

To me, it would depend on his progression over his time here.  For example, Stidham regressed from year 1 to year 2.  You can argue the reasons why, but he did regress.  Will be interesting to see how his NFL career goes.  If Nix shows improvement over his time here, I'd say Dilly and Gus deserve credit.  But, I haven't seen that under Gus yet. (Maybe Marshal, but that is more because they forced the passing over the read option his second year).

59 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

If Nix shows improvement over his time here, I'd say Dilly and Gus deserve credit.  But, I haven't seen that under Gus yet. (Maybe Marshal, but that is more because they forced the passing over the read option his second year).

I agree. Haven't seen it yet. But Gus is still new enough in the profession that I'm not going to say it won't happen. I'm doubtful, but you never know. Maybe Dilly somehow earns his trust where everyone else has failed to. 

And I don't give him credit for Marshall. I saw the same QB in 2014 that I saw in 2013, except with a slightly different schedule and better receivers. Duke Williams caught balls in 2014 that didn't get caught in 2013. (For anybody tempted to bring up 2015, the dude is in the NFL now.)

Edit: And Marshall looked a little more comfortable in 2014, because it was his second year starting in pretty much the same offense with the same Rimington-winning center snapping the ball. That's the minimum you would expect from any coach at this level. 

Marshall's 2013 success was largely attributable to world class play-action skills that he did NOT have before coming to Auburn. Made some terrific D's look pretty silly.

(Of course 2014 offseason game film study by opposing teams of his slight of hand contributed a less than ideal 2014).

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Marshall's 2013 success was largely attributable to world class play-action skills that he did NOT have before coming to Auburn. Made some terrific D's look pretty silly.

(Of course 2014 offseason game film study by opposing teams of his slight of hand contributed a less than ideal 2014).

You sure he didn't have those skills before coming to Auburn? You'd think we would have had more guys with those skills if it was something he learned here. 

2014 was less than ideal? I mean, we dipped 15 yards and 4 points per game... after losing Tre Mason, Jay Prosch and Greg Robinson... but we still finished the season 17th in the nation in total offense, higher than any other SEC team except Dan-and-Dak era MSU. 

On 4/1/2019 at 9:02 AM, McLoofus said:

WHEN (not if because Bo is to damn talented not too) Bo finds success here I will give credit to Dilly because clearly then he is being allowed to do his job at grooming QBs the way he wants to that Chip was not. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

WHEN (not if because Bo is to damn talented not too) Bo finds success here I will give credit to Dilly because clearly then he is being allowed to do his job at grooming QBs the way he wants to that Chip was not. 

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Assuming you are right then I give Gus credit for finally realizing that he has a coach Dilly that knows what he is doing and letting him do it. How many QB's has Saban developed the answer is none but a few have developed at bama because Saban brought in coaches he trusted and let them do their job. Gus interferes more on O then D because that is his area of expertise where as Saban interferes more on D especially with the DB's. A great head coach can't micromanage they must set a standard and make a few decision's every game  like go for it on fourth down or when to run a trick play but basically let  coordinator's know what he wants and then let coordinator's do it.

Archived