The Hype Begins

toddc

Quarterback Bo Nix impressive, sharp in first practice

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

AUBURN, Alabama — It's difficult to live up to the hype.

Bo Nix received almost every accolade you could think of inside his home state of Alabama after leading Pinson Valley to back-to-back state titles with his father, Auburn legend Patrick Nix, as his coach. He was rated a 5-star prospect, chose to sign and enroll early at Auburn and compete immediately for the starting job at quarterback.

It will not be easy. He's a freshman. He's the youngest quarterback on the roster.

But he might also be the most talented quarterback, too.

It's early yet, and Auburn only practiced in helmets on the first day of spring practices Monday, but Nix's technique was sound. His velocity on passes of a 5-star quality. He was also on target. He didn't make mistakes, even as those ahead of him early on the depth chart threw low to receivers or overthrew others.

All of this occurred in situations without pressure and in one-on-one drills, but everyone has to start somewhere. And Nix is already finding a way to impress as he tries to move his way up the depth chart after splitting reps with the second-team offense during the open viewing portion of practice Monday.

Check out this full video of nearly every pass and play (including zone-read options) Nix participated in during the first three periods of the open viewing session of spring practice Monday.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think it's gonna be Nix, but would be thrilled if it was Gatewood (think that would mean he's really progressed as a passer). 

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

If nix somehow does win the job over gatewood. Please have a gatewood package. He’s too talented to be riding the bench

Completely agreed. Kid is an absolute beast. And not wildcat with no threat of pass at all. Let the kid keep getting exposure to the offense. 

I expect Bo to win the job but if he doesn't I won't be surprised. If not him, hopefully Joey. Bo could definitely have a season like Lawrence did but I won't hold that to him.

If our oline plays respectable, either option should be fine.

Literally pulling for the best QB to win but I'm excited to see Joey's style.  Not a knock on Bo but I just feel like Joey would lead Gus to a more 2010 style.

On a side note.... Anybody notice Cord's physical size?  Starting to look like an NFL tight end IMO.

8 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Anybody notice Cord's physical size?  Starting to look like an NFL tight end IMO.

Shaped like Tebow... :-X

I also noticed that a good portion of that video has Willis standing next to Gus while the other 3 guys throw. Could just be that Willis has more reps under his belt but still couldn't help but notice. 

12 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

If nix somehow does win the job over gatewood. Please have a gatewood package. He’s too talented to be riding the bench

I understand you comment, but who ever wins the job the other QBs need to be given the opportunity to run the entire offense.  I so sick of “packages” that every defense knows what’s coming.  JMO.

If Gatewood (or Joiner or...) is as successful running the Wildcat in goal line and short yardage situations as KJ was, then I'll be a big fan of his package. WAIT, NO, THAT'S NOT WHAT I... ugh, I hate you guys. 

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I understand you comment, but who ever wins the job the other QBs need to be given the opportunity to run the entire offense.  I so sick of “packages” that every defense knows what’s coming.  JMO.

It worked well for Florida with Tebow when everyone knew what was coming. There are things gatewood can do that BO can’t. Instead of running wildcat or some variations with someone with no real threat to pass, at least use gatewoods talent in that role. The “packages” like the wildcat, etc, are not going anywhere as long as Gus is the coach here. A guy with with Gatewood’s skill set gives your offense multiple options, while also taking some of the pressure off a true frosh.

Hope Malik or Gatewood win it for proving our development ability tbh, but not gonna be upset if Nix or Cord get it either. Think we've got 4 guys capable of playing SEC ball. Just gotta figure out who's got their head on straight. 

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

It worked well for Florida with Tebow when everyone knew what was coming. There are things gatewood can do that BO can’t. Instead of running wildcat or some variations with someone with no real threat to pass, at least use gatewoods talent in that role. The “packages” like the wildcat, etc, are not going anywhere as long as Gus is the coach here. A guy with with Gatewood’s skill set gives your offense multiple options, while also taking some of the pressure off a true frosh.

The bolded part is the reason for my earlier comment.  I’m sure JG is capable of running the entire offense and can if
Gus can discover the things he does better than BN, I would love to see him split time with the starter and keep the defense guessing what is coming next.

Gus hasn’t done it yet and maybe it’s because he hasn’t had the trust required in his back up QB.  Maybe a new beginnings.

I’m happy with whoever wins as long as he has proven he is the best of the four. What I really hope for is whoever wins that Gus puts them in a position to win. That means he tailor fits the offense to their abilities. Every QB has his strength and weakness the OC has to recognize them and work the offense to that end. Good example of how even a good coach can screw it up. Last year Clemson vs uat game. Clemson came in playing against Tua’s strength. uat should have responded sooner with JH but instead they waited till they were 3 scores down to bring in a running QB in a throwing situation. That’s been part of Gus’s problem the past few years, trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Doesn’t matter who calls the plays if the don’t call the right ones the results are the same. I also caution those who take a lot from the Purdue game, the HUNH can do well against a slow B1G team but it’s not going to do that well against the uga, uat and Clemson’s of the world. They have changed the type players they use from the 2014 days. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If Gatewood (or Joiner or...) is as successful running the Wildcat in goal line and short yardage situations as KJ was, then I'll be a big fan of his package. WAIT, NO, THAT'S NOT WHAT I... ugh, I hate you guys. 

37 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Package. lols

5FF79F8E-F318-4F30-96B2-5057160B4EB9.jpeg

Is it me, or was Bo's delivery or arm speed noticeably faster?

Does that translate into a quicker delivery?  It has to right?   Obviously a 30 second clip means nothing, but I noticed that.  

I'm telling you all today, March 19th that Malik is starting the season at QB. He won't remain the starter but he'll start the season. Gus is big on trust and I believe he trusts Malik more than anyone else. I've just seen too much of Gus to think otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Percolator said:

I'm telling you all today, March 19th that Malik is starting the season at QB. He won't remain the starter but he'll start the season. Gus is big on trust and I believe he trusts Malik more than anyone else. I've just seen too much of Gus to think otherwise. 

Yeah nothing like the ole Gus taking 3 or 4 games to figure out his best lineup. Trust be damned. The most talented should start. We should not let someone start just because they have been around the longest... That's #ButGus for you. 

I've never in my life seen a coach who just wastes the "preseason" as much as Gus does.

Maybe by game 4 he will figure out his teams strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately for Gus, starting the season that way in 2019 may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

I hope he can do something he has NEVER done in his time as head coach of Auburn and have his best lineup figured out by game 1 and not game 3 or 4.

No matter who the quarterback is, they need live reps and lots of them.  After months to prepare for spring ball our HC said he still does not know if the qb's will go live or not.

1 hour ago, Percolator said:

you do know your post does have a time stamp. 

Archived