just watched NMSU play GCU

doverstutts

their schedule may look like a list of online schools, but they are not a bad team at all....winning 30 games against anybody is pretty good and they did only lose by 3 to kansas at kansas.

these guys are quick, can shoot the 3 ball, get up and down the floor and are a good passing team, plus they don't committ a lot of turnovers....they are not big and chuma and wwiley should own the paint...NMSU does not really play good defense away from the ball....the PG matchup will be a good one....harper and javon can actually go up gainst another PG their own size.....he is cat quick and a real good passer.....they are no pushover and play a 13 man rotation.....that will be in their advantage in the altitude of SLC.....our perimeter defense is going to be important....they do play hard,too......i see us winning by double digits if we play smart and focused

A 13 man rotation is very interesting. I know in CBB, you like to go the reverse of NBA where you shorten your rotation severely, but that is interesting. It's a wonder how they ever get hot as a team 

i was listening to the drive yesterday and sonny was on....thats where i first hear it and i think i heard him say that they only had one player that averaged in double figures

9 hours ago, doverstutts said:

their schedule may look like a list of online schools, but they are not a bad team at all....winning 30 games against anybody is pretty good and they did only lose by 3 to kansas at kansas.

these guys are quick, can shoot the 3 ball, get up and down the floor and are a good passing team, plus they don't committ a lot of turnovers....they are not big and chuma and wwiley should own the paint...NMSU does not really play good defense away from the ball....the PG matchup will be a good one....harper and javon can actually go up gainst another PG their own size.....he is cat quick and a real good passer.....they are no pushover and play a 13 man rotation.....that will be in their advantage in the altitude of SLC.....our perimeter defense is going to be important....they do play hard,too......i see us winning by double digits if we play smart and focused

Good assessment They've been a real solid program through the years and to your point, wont be an easy win. We have the athletes to put pressure on them defensively like they have not seen. I would like to see us not get silly fouls early, like we did on Sunday. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A 13 man rotation is very interesting. I know in CBB, you like to go the reverse of NBA where you shorten your rotation severely, but that is interesting. It's a wonder how they ever get hot as a team 

The main reason why tournament teams usually shorten their bench is because it is assumed tbe most talented is within the first 8 while competing in one and done tournaments.   I’m skeptical that they have 13 players that can guard our top 5. Fortunately we have 9 or 10 that can play though so sometimes teams don’t have to shorten their bench. 

They shoot 30 threes a game like we do.  It really just come down to perimeter defense and who can hit shots.  We SHOULD own the rebounding edge. 

The thing that concerns me is AU has been very bad at defending the 3. Maybe the will extend the defense out because there isn’t as big a threat to get beat inside. It seems that the AU guards tend to sink down a bunch trying to help the bigs inside and hopefully that won’t be necessary. 

I think the whole 13 man rotation is a bit skewed because of the competition they play. They are miles away the best team in their conference so they dominate the scoreboard and then are able to put their 9-13 men on the court for a good 10ish minutes a game. I'm not saying that this is going to be an easy game or anything like that because I do believe NMSU is a good team I just don't think they compare to anyone in the SEC except for maybe Vanderbilt. I really don't think their guards are going to be able to handle the pressure defense that we play nor do I think their bigs can contend with Okeke and Wiley (for the few minutes he'll play).

OP also mentioned they don't turn the ball over a lot but that's not really true. They turn the ball over 11.9 times a game against weak competition. When they played Kansas they turned it over 16 times and only played 11 men, 2 of which only played 3 minutes. 

Yup on paper we have the better athletes.

But that's the thing about March. That doesn't matter. We just have to hit our shots and force the issue inside if we are hitting from outside. We have shot out of our cold spells within games lately so that's a good sign at least. NMSU is going to be ready to bring it they know they're schedule is weak and have a big opportunity to knock off the SEC Champions -- we have to match their intensity.

Very much hoping for the refs to let em play

ok you bball geeks ... like in baseball, will the altitude affect our outside shooting?  I may be setting myself to get creamed for that question ...

With our size advantage, do we play all out crazy D and let the O flow through our bigs?  Lots of drives to the basket by our 3's, oops to our 4/5's and a bunch of work for wiley?  

will the altitude really affect our legs and our pressure D?  even if we go 10 deep?

14 minutes ago, Pedaler said:

I would defend them the way Ole Miss defended us both times.

i can't believe they were able to pull it off twice....they hit ridiculous shots as the buzzer was going off...

watching NMSU last night, remember,just like football, when you get two bad teams (not saying NMSU is bad at all) that are evenly matched, sometimes a team looks better than it is....i have watched many a football games that were great games that were played by teams that did not even make a bowl game....i will say if bruce will put chuma on the low block and feed him the ball, he'll score 40.....i'm going to watch them again tonight against another opponent and see how much they drive....they didn't drive much against GCU

16 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i can't believe they were able to pull it off twice....they hit ridiculous shots as the buzzer was going off...

watching NMSU last night, remember,just like football, when you get two bad teams (not saying NMSU is bad at all) that are evenly matched, sometimes a team looks better than it is....i have watched many a football games that were great games that were played by teams that did not even make a bowl game....i will say if bruce will put chuma on the low block and feed him the ball, he'll score 40.....i'm going to watch them again tonight against another opponent and see how much they drive....they didn't drive much against GCU

Well, these guys are a 12 seed so some folks in the decision making process apparently discounted all the gaudy stats and considered who they were playing when those stats were accumulated....AU just needs to play it's usual game IMO....and play lots of players.....the drop off in talent for us lately has not been much when we send 6-9 onto the floor. 

Archived