Malik Willis

AUght2win

Throws side armed. Our backup QB of the past 2 seasons. Never noticed until today. Unless he picked up this habit in the offseason. 

Wild that a guy at a D1 school can be three years in and yet allowed to throw a football like a shortstop.

20190318_203154.jpg

20190318_203139.jpg

20190318_203045.jpg

20190318_203117.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Malik is solid, however it’s the Bo show. Everyone knows it. 

Lol, nobody "knows" that and nowhere close to everyone thinks it. 

Also, why do you say Malik is solid? What is solid about his abilities? 

• Like 2

I saw that in the video too but i didnt want to really point it out because im not sure what difference it would make.     Every other QB i noticed release is much higher .  i did have a hard time judging velocity based on the film. 

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

when he has played in a game, he has made maybe,two correct reads,    total

Meanwhile:

And then the inexplicable happened: Willis held on to the ball. Alabama State defensive end Ricky Haley came through the left side untouched, as tight end Jalen Harris failed to pick up the block. Willis saw the rush coming and by the time he reacted, he was a few yards deep in his own end zone.

Haley dropped the backup Auburn quarterback for a safety, and suddenly a shutout turned into a 42-2 lead with less than 5 minutes remaining.

Willis made his season debut in the opener Sept. 1 against Washington on a 2-point conversion. He tucked the ball instead of throwing and was stopped short of the goal line following Auburn's first touchdown of the 21-16 victory.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

To be fair, the next superstar Patrick Mahomes still does this till this day.

He does lots of other stuff, too, though, lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

To be fair, the next superstar Patrick Mahomes still does this till this day.

I think he’s already there. He’ll get even better but if he doesn’t he’s still elite. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think he’s already there. He’ll get even better but if he doesn’t he’s still elite. 

Whew, man, he is good. 5 losses last season:

-3 pt loss to eventual SB champion Patriots in Foxboro (40 pts scored)
-3 pt loss to other best offense in football in LA (51 pts scored)
-1 pt loss to playoff team (28 pts scored)
-7 pt loss to playoff team in Seattle (31 pts scored)
-OT loss in the SB to the greatest dynasty ever

His stat line for the season:

383 580 66.0% 5,097   50 12   113.8

:'(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He does lots of other stuff, too, though, lol

Yes, he does, but I am not going to subtract from MW just because he has a "Shortstop" delivery I think people forget Patrick was a three-star recruit with only three true offers out of high school. He went to the right school, who let him grow into who he is. Cam Newton still throws off his back foot. That isn't changing. Now, I am not saying MW will turn into any of this. Just saying this shouldn't be as big of a deal. If it works, it works.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, he does, but I am not going to subtract from MW just because he has a "Shortstop" delivery I think people forget Patrick was a three-star recruit with only three true offers out of high school. He went to the right school, who let him grow into who he is. Cam Newton still throws off his back foot. That isn't changing. Now, I am not saying MW will turn into any of this. Just saying this shouldn't be as big of a deal. If it works, it works.

Agree. This specific habit can be worked around. 

IIRC, Nick Marshall bounced a LOT of passes off DLs' helmets, at least early on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Lol, nobody "knows" that and nowhere close to everyone thinks it. 

Also, why do you say Malik is solid? What is solid about his abilities? 

Maybe he means solid as opposed to liquid or gas. :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Throws side armed. Our backup QB of the past 2 seasons. Never noticed until today. Unless he picked up this habit in the offseason. 

Wild that a guy at a D1 school can be three years in and yet allowed to throw a football like a shortstop.

20190318_203154.jpg

20190318_203139.jpg

20190318_203045.jpg

20190318_203117.jpg

A side armed motion by itself is nothing to be alarmed about. Stidham, who threw one of the best balls from any QB we've ever had, threw at least partially side armed. Bo Nix, who is known as throwing maybe the best ball among highschool QB prospects, has at least a partial side armed motion. I'm not saying Malik has good fundamentals, but side arm by itself not a huge deal. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 1

He can Underhand the throws as long as they are accurate and not questionable decisions.  I hope he reads the option a little better now as well.  Jay Tate was on JOX the other day and suggested that the light may have come on for Willis.  Aday won’t tell us a lot but it’ll be nice to see him drop back and make a read or read the defensive end/LB and take it on the outside for a big gain.  Defense should be pretty stacked 2 deep up front so he’ll have to work for it every snap in practice and scrimmages if they go live.

For anyone that is under 35 years of age, that hasn't seen Bernie Kosar, please go watch his throwing motion. He was very successful at Miami U and in the NFL with his awkward throwing motion.

• Like 2

I don't think a 6 foot flat QB can afford to throw side armed. Mahomes does it occassionally when he is scrambling. Rivers does it but is 6'5. If he can pull it off, more power to him. But I think Malik is gonna have no chance with this delivery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Percolator said:

For anyone that is under 35 years of age, that hasn't seen Bernie Kosar, please go watch his throwing motion. He was very successful at Miami U and in the NFL with his awkward throwing motion.

25 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Related image

Philip Rivers throws like Uncle freaking Rico.....he's only passed for a little over 31 miles in the NFL.

Also Matthew stafford! 

51 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Related image

Philip Rivers throws like Uncle freaking Rico.....he's only passed for a little over 31 miles in the NFL.

You beat me to this one. Not only side armed but very awkward throughout hs and NCSt. Still unique. To much being made ( if anything at all is being made other than this thread) about this 3/4 delivery. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Also Matthew stafford! 

Like Mahomes, I don't think the sidearm is Stafford's default motion. They can use it sometimes. Now Rivers is a true side armer. 

images (7).jpeg

usa_today_11095315.0.jpg

1 hour ago, alexava said:

You beat me to this one. Not only side armed but very awkward throughout hs and NCSt. Still unique. To much being made ( if anything at all is being made other than this thread) about this 3/4 delivery. 

Phillip Rivers is a half foot taller with HOF level vision, accuracy, and football acumen. Malik is a RB playing quarterback. Point being that sidearming doesn't help Malik's chances, and the staff should have fixed it long ago. 

• Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Phillip Rivers is a half foot taller with HOF level vision, accuracy, and football acumen. Malik is a RB playing quarterback. Point being that sidearming doesn't help Malik's chances, and the staff should have fixed it long ago. 

My point is{ well first off Malik is likely a career depth spot} Phillip was passed over by big boys or recruited to other positions by them. He kept his throwing style all the way through college and still is not a blue print pro mechanic now with his throwing motion. Sometimes you just work with what you got. But I guarantee you they probably tried it and decided it’s not going to happen  

During a golf discussion about Sergio Garcia was taking place during a major several years ago. Jack Nicholas responded to a question from a commentator. “Should Sergio change his grip? “ “ Yes. If he wants to get his name off his bag and get his amateur status back. “. 

• Like 1