Malik Willis

AUght2win

1 minute ago, alexava said:

My point is{ well first off Malik is likely a career depth spot} Phillip was passed over by big boys or recruited to other positions by them. He kept his throwing style all the way through college and still is not a blue print pro mechanic now with his throwing motion. Sometimes you just work with what you got. But I guarantee you they probably tried it and decided it’s not going to happen  

During a golf discussion about Sergio Garcia was taking place during a major several years ago. Jack Nicholas responded to a question from a commentator. “Should Sergio change his grip? “ “ Yes. If he wants to get his name off his bag and get his amateur status back. “. 

Everybody keeps mentioning big name successes. If you become a pro side-arming, of course you shouldn't change. That's what made you a pro. But Malik is raw clay who struggles throwing the football. He wasn't a heralded passer coming out of HS. 

He is 3 years in now. If he doesn't win the starting job out of spring he should change positions IMO. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Like Mahomes, I don't think the sidearm is Stafford's default motion. They can use it sometimes. Now Rivers is a true side armer. 

images (7).jpeg

usa_today_11095315.0.jpg

That is fair but I think what several of us are saying that we do not think the side arm mechanics will be the reason or even the associate factor for MW either failing or not starting. Just my .02 cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are three crucial things Mw needs to be our starter. 

1.  Decrease turnovers 

2. Make the right read 9/10 times

3. Be effective at throwing the stop, slant and fade

He needs to try to shape his game like Pat White tbh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm among those who think Malik Willis has no chance of becoming the starter.  I think it's an even race between Nix and Gatewood.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAG said:

There are three crucial things Mw needs to be our starter. 

1.  Decrease turnovers 

2. Make the right read 9/10 times

3. Be effective at throwing the stop, slant and fade

He needs to try to shape his game like Pat White tbh.

That’s a good one to shape into. We already have a Noel Devine clone. Except he’s probably a lot more rounded player and student. 

• Like 1

I think Willis will finish dead last in this race. He has looked impressive when he can get into open field. But what is startling is he makes such poor reads. On the read option and the few trick plays he has run. 

I know the read option isn't as easy as it looks but it is actually relatively easy. You basically just judge which direction the DE is leaning/commiting to. 

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think Willis will finish dead last in this race. He has looked impressive when he can get into open field. But what is startling is he makes such poor reads. On the read option and the few trick plays he has run. 

I know the read option isn't as easy as it looks but it is actually relatively easy. You basically just judge which direction the DE is leaning/commiting to. 

That's not easy at all. Not even the slightest 

• Like 1

This thread REEKS of just burying Malik Willis.

Guys have named 100 factors more needed for Willis to be the guy and instead, the OP replies with, "but yeah those are HOF guys"

the point shouldn't be that there's only rarities who can fight through a weird throwing motion (Nick Marshall had a weird throwing motion, to me anyway, and he isn't soon to be a HOFer), it's that you can build a successful game around a weird throwing motion and it's not truly detrimental. especially on the collegiate level 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Guys have named 100 factors more needed for Willis to be the guy and instead, the OP replies with, "but yeah those are HOF guys"

the point shouldn't be that there's only rarities who can fight through a weird throwing motion (Nick Marshall had a weird throwing motion, to me anyway, and he isn't soon to be a HOFer), it's that you can build a successful game around a weird throwing motion and it's not truly detrimental. especially on the collegiate level 

I don’t even think it’s that weird. It looks like a strong athletic motion to me. The only thing wrong is the ball comes out at a little lower trajectory. Not good but not a deal breaker either. 

7 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Related image

Philip Rivers throws like Uncle freaking Rico.....he's only passed for a little over 31 miles in the NFL.

bncc

Tommy Tuberville is the final authority, Rivers is no SEC QB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

That's not easy at all. Not even the slightest 

It is one of the simplest plays in football. Hence why every team at every level of football runs it now. Even if you just guess you've got a 50/50 chance of guessing right. Relative to a QB diagnosing a blitz or figuring out a combo coverage in a split second, the option read is a piece of cake.

Edited by AUght2win

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He's not gonna be the guy, dawg. Or at least he shouldn't be.

4 hours ago, DivisionN said:

Tommy Tuberville is the final authority, Rivers is no SEC QB

From the “Sad but true” department 

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It is one of the simplest plays in football. Hence why every team at every level of football runs it now. Even if you just guess you've got a 50/50 chance of guessing right. Relative to a QB diagnosing a blitz or figuring out a combo coverage in a split second, the option read is a piece of cake.

No offense personally, but this isn't really accurate.  The QB read option developed with the spread which was devised to create mismatches for smaller and faster athletes against larger and physically superior defenders.  By putting the ball in the hands of a QB who, for the time between the wishbone and the spread, never ran the ball it created another element of surprise.  The read component isn't the piece of cake you make it out to be.  In a bona fide read situation, you've got a mesh between two players who both have to see the same thing and both have to react correctly.  I would be willing to bet significant money that in the Malzahn offense at Auburn we've almost never run a true read with the QB...not with Cam, and not with Nick.  Because it's not that easy and because Gus is paranoid when it comes to putting his guys in position to even remotely increase the chance of fumbling.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

He is 3 years in now. If he doesn't win the starting job out of spring he should change positions IMO. 

Dude's got great metrics for WR or DB. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

No offense personally, but this isn't really accurate.  The QB read option developed with the spread which was devised to create mismatches for smaller and faster athletes against larger and physically superior defenders.  By putting the ball in the hands of a QB who, for the time between the wishbone and the spread, never ran the ball it created another element of surprise.  The read component isn't the piece of cake you make it out to be.  In a bona fide read situation, you've got a mesh between two players who both have to see the same thing and both have to react correctly.  I would be willing to bet significant money that in the Malzahn offense at Auburn we've almost never run a true read with the QB...not with Cam, and not with Nick.  Because it's not that easy and because Gus is paranoid when it comes to putting his guys in position to even remotely increase the chance of fumbling.

The runningback does not make a read on the read option play. Idk what play you are referring to but it's not really relevant to this discussion. The read Auburn runs is very simple and easy. But Malik has struggled with it.

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Simple ≠ easy

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I really think that Willis will finish last in the QB race when it is all said and done.  I could be wrong and have no problem admitting this. However, it will be Bo or Joey.  I like Joey in this race!  I wish we could find out how the QB race is going. I guess it is all under raps though. 

Gonna comment only on the sideways throwing motion.

the last 2 years he has been qb camping with micheal Vick. They both have that same throwing motion so that’s probably where he got it from

• Like 5

19 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I really think that Willis will finish last in the QB race when it is all said and done.  I could be wrong and have no problem admitting this. However, it will be Bo or Joey.  I like Joey in this race!  I wish we could find out how the QB race is going. I guess it is all under raps though. 

If he doesn't improve his decision making and accuracy on passing plays, I don't see him being the starter. CGM has to know that he needs a strong presence at QB, if our offense is going to be consistently productive.