Malik Willis

AUght2win

11 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Not to derail the side-arm debate, but the way he throws is not why he isn't going to be the starter. His judgement is. 

Agree. We don't even know what his in-game throwing motion is because he keeps holding onto the ball instead of throwing it. Hey-o, jokes. 

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

If he doesn't improve his decision making and accuracy on passing plays, I don't see him being the starter. CGM has to know that he needs a strong presence at QB, if our offense is going to be consistently productive. 

are you talking about Joey or Willis?  Thanks!

On 3/23/2019 at 9:25 PM, DAG said:

Some of you guys need to stop. If you have a favorite that is one thing , but speaking down on a player like they would ruin our season is a joke. Whoever wins this thing will have rightly earned it and should be saluted for it. 

It's the worst part about QB battles on here

Then there are some that wait to pounce when the starter struggles because they were "rooting" for another guy

• Like 1

bo nix will start at QB due to the built-in excuse for losing 6 games....well, "we are building for the future and started a true freshman at QB" so you can't fire me because of that...wait and see

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

If Gus wasn't in make or break mode he would could afford to play Bo or JG (whoever he deems has the highest ceiling). But because he will be trying to hold on to his job he will most likely play the guy with the highest floor instead. Who knows who that is at this point, but that's not an ideal spot to be in as a program.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

If Gus wasn't in make or break mode he would could afford to play Bo or JG (whoever he deems has the highest ceiling).

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

But because he will be trying to hold on to his job he will most likely play the guy with the highest floor instead.

Cord and Malik seem to be running third or fourth in all the practices so far. Nix and Gatewood getting a lot of the first team reps as well.

If we are talking highest floor, I think Nix is that guy anyway. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 8:25 PM, DAG said:

Some of you guys need to stop. If you have a favorite that is one thing , but speaking down on a player like they would ruin our season is a joke. Whoever wins this thing will have rightly earned it and should be saluted for it. 

But MAN...if you said something about Stidham during that Miss St game...here's your "vacation"....

• Haha 2

On 3/23/2019 at 6:25 PM, DAG said:

Haven't seen anything close to running guys down. We can't point out flaws in a QB's game in a forum post about a QB race?

52 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Haven't seen anything close to running guys down. We can't point out flaws in a QB's game in a forum post about a QB race?

Saying we are in a dire situation if MW is the starter? Yeah that’s really pointing out flaws. There is a guy on the REAL qb thread in the media forum who flat outs says Gus should pack his bags if MW is starting. But you haven’t seen anything close? Right.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 6:11 AM, JDUBB4AU said:

Malik is solid, however it’s the Bo show. Everyone knows it. 

Taking odds on it being The Gatewood Show......

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, auburn4ever said:

Willis, Gatewood and Nix will be our only QB's that's on scholarship. I hope they all stay heathly all year.

Is cord leaving or not on scholarship?

Edited by auskip07

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Saying we are in a dire situation if MW is the starter? Yeah that’s really pointing out flaws. There is a guy on the REAL qb thread in the media forum who flat outs says Gus should pack his bags if MW is starting. But you haven’t seen anything close? Right.

Well, no. I personally haven't. We are supposed to be talking about this thread, right? I can't read every thread on the forum. This one seems pretty fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Well, no. I personally haven't. We are supposed to be talking about this thread, right? I can't read every thread on the forum. This one seems pretty fine. 

1. You referenced a QB race thread. This thread has nothing to do with a QB race. This thread was specifically geared to calling out MW for a supposed ”flaw.” I referenced the real QB race thread, which was moved to the media forum. You don't have to read every thread on this page. But yes, if you are going to quote me and take issue with a post I made regarding how people view our QBs, I expect you to at least look at the specific content that addresses it.

2. There is a person specifically on this thread who flat out says we are in dire straits if MW is the starting QB. I have given you two post with two sources. It doesn't get any easier than that to find them. 

That is absolute crap and should not be occurring with any of our players. Critique is one thing. That is not critiquing. If you choose to overlook that, this is on you, but don't sit here and gloss over stuff.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2019 at 10:38 PM, AUght2win said:

Throws side armed. Our backup QB of the past 2 seasons. Never noticed until today. Unless he picked up this habit in the offseason. 

Wild that a guy at a D1 school can be three years in and yet allowed to throw a football like a shortstop.

Michael Vick and McNabb threw a lot of sidearm balls. It tends to happen amongst scrambling quarterbacks. I feel the same way about it that I did about Tebow's throwing motion. As long as he can get the ball to the right spot I'm okay with it. Regardless, I'm willing to bet he's our starter day 1; though we might have another 3 quarterback rotation if Willis doesn't work out  due to indecisiveness.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:11 AM, JDUBB4AU said:

Malik is solid, however it’s the Bo show. Everyone knows it. 

I would love for it to be but I'm highly skeptical Gus would start a freshman.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I know one thing

Whoever is taking reps as the starter can't be as embarrassing under pressure as our former leader...

As someone who survived the Nick Marshall to Jeremy Johnson transition I would caution against making this type of assumption. Especially since we've seen nothing out of any of the QBs we have.

"He can't possibly be a worse thrower than Nick Marshall! He misses wide open receivers that would be touchdowns!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

As someone who survived the Nick Marshall to Jeremy Johnson transition I would caution against making this type of assumption. Especially since we've seen nothing out of any of the QBs we have.

"He can't possibly be a worse thrower than Nick Marshall! He misses wide open receivers that would be touchdowns!"

Yeah but Nick Marshall was good in 2014, that’s the difference in this comparison. You’re talking about going from a great player to an unproven one, Im talking about going from Jarrett to an unproven one 

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah but Nick Marshall was good in 2014, that’s the difference in this comparison. You’re talking about going from a great player to an unproven one, Im talking about going from Jarrett to an unproven one 

You have the benefit of hindsight by saying that. Nick Marshall was criminally underrated during his time here and it was not widely accepted that he was a great QB for us until after his time had past. And if not for JJ being as bad as he was NM may still be underrated to be honest.

This board was ready for the JJ6 show by the end of 2014 as I remember it. Ideas of having a QB that "could actually throw the ball" had people feeling giddy. And we know what happened after that

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

You have the benefit of hindsight by saying that. Nick Marshall was criminally underrated during his time here and it was not widely accepted that he was a great QB for us until after his time had past. And if not for JJ being as bad as he was NM may still be underrated to be honest.

This board was ready for the JJ6 show by the end of 2014 as I remember it. Ideas of having a QB that "could actually throw the ball" had people feeling giddy. And we know what happened after that

JJ was expected to be an ATG and a heisman caliber guy. I been on this forum for 7 years, I know how Marshall was thought of lol. He was thought of a great guy and QB but not an ATG and at his very best a fringe heisman guy. That’s a far bigger jump than whatever the next QB will have to make to be better than Stidham in 2018 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

JJ was expected to be an ATG and a heisman caliber guy. I been on this forum for 7 years, I know how Marshall was thought of lol. He was thought of a great guy and QB but not an ATG and at his very best a fringe heisman guy. That’s a far bigger jump than whatever the next QB will have to make to be better than Stidham in 2018 

All I'm saying is assuming we will somehow upgrade at a position after a multi-year starter leaves is a dangerous thing to do and setting you up for disappointment. Normally when you lose a guy who held down a position for a significant amount of time there is an immediate dropoff. Not saying QB won't be upgraded next year but it's unlikely freshman versions of Joey Gatewood/Bo Nix or junior version of Malik Willis will be a boost to our offense.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DAG said:

1. You referenced a QB race thread. This thread has nothing to do with a QB race. This thread was specifically geared to calling out MW for a supposed ”flaw.” I referenced the real QB race thread, which was moved to the media forum. You don't have to read every thread on this page. But yes, if you are going to quote me and take issue with a post I made regarding how people view our QBs, I expect you to at least look at the specific content that addresses it.

2. There is a person specifically on this thread who flat out says we are in dire straits if MW is the starting QB. I have given you two post with two sources. It doesn't get any easier than that to find them. 

That is absolute crap and should not be occurring with any of our players. Critique is one thing. That is not critiquing. If you choose to overlook that, this is on you, but don't sit here and gloss over stuff.

Just difference of opinion I guess, but I don't think the dire straits thing is that bad. Nor is pointing out Malik is a side armer. What's wrong with negative commentary as long as it's pertaining to our guys as athletes and not unwarranted personal attacks on them as human beings? It's a sports forum.