Malik Willis

AUght2win

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Just difference of opinion I guess, but I don't think the dire straits thing is that bad. Nor is pointing out Malik is a side armer. What's wrong with negative commentary as long as it's pertaining to our guys as athletes and not unwarranted personal attacks on them as human beings? It's a sports forum. 

What’s wrong with negative commentary? It becomes personal. Which is completely different than constructive criticism. One is an opinion that allows for input and discussion. Another is an opinion that is rooted in your own personal agenda. Saying Gus is horrible and if he coaches our team, we will be in for a losing season is completely different than saying I think Gus lacks the ability to properly gameplan. One opinion completely takes away any sort of the ability to have discourse (You know what drives a sports forum). The other allows for room to bring valid points from each side. Big difference.

By saying the first opinion, you have already determined that the season will end in a negative manner because of your personal feelings as Gus as a head coach. The same goes for some of you guys with MW. If he is the starter, some of you guys have such personal vendettas for whatever reason, that you feel that there is no way we can have a successful season, if he is named the starter. Then why even discuss? Your mind is already made up.

At this point, I don't think I can explain it any more than that. I think most people get the general idea of what I am getting at.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

What’s wrong with negative commentary? It becomes personal. Which is completely different than constructive criticism. One is an opinion that allows for input and discussion. Another is an opinion that is rooted in your own personal agenda. Saying Gus is horrible and if he coaches our team, we will be in for a losing season is completely different than saying I think Gus lacks the ability to properly gameplan. One opinion completely takes away any sort of the ability to have discourse (You know what drives a sports forum). The other allows for room to bring valid points from each side. Big difference.

By saying the first opinion, you have already determined that the season will end in a negative manner because of your personal feelings as Gus as a head coach. The same goes for some of you guys with MW. If he is the starter, some of you guys have such personal vendettas for whatever reason, that you feel that there is no way we can have a successful season, if he is named the starter. Then why even discuss? Your mind is already made up.

At this point, I don't think I can explain it any more than that. I think most people get the general idea of what I am getting at.

I don't think anyone is on MW personally.....just making an evaluation.

MW has not been an effective QB and that's probably not going to change

So...if MW is the starter at AU....we will probably not have an effective QB

And if we do not have an effective QB we will not have a good season.....

It's simple math...  :dunno:

Seems that last year we had a similar conversation over the implications of K Mart being the starting RB....just change the names above and you see where the conversation is going.  

Just to be clear, I've been a MW fan for a couple years but I think his  window of opportunity is closed....time for him to find where he can contribute the most to this team....too athletic to sit on the bench another year waiting on mop up time for someone to get hurt.   JMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I don't think anyone is on MW personally.....just making an evaluation.

MW has not been an effective QB and that's probably not going to change

So...if MW is the starter at AU....we will probably not have an effective QB

And if we do not have an effective QB we will not have a good season.....

It's simple math...  :dunno:

Seems that last year we had a similar conversation over the implications of K Mart being the starting RB....just change the names above and you see where the conversation is going.  

Just to be clear, I've been a MW fan for a couple years but I think his  window of opportunity is closed....time for him to find where he can contribute the most to this team....too athletic to sit on the bench another year waiting on mop up time for someone to get hurt.   JMO

You don't know that. That is the freaking point.  How the heck , based on a limited sample size, can you already conclude whether MW is capable of being an effective QB or not?

How do you know JG is effective? He had one run against Purdue and a poor throw against them. Does that make him an effective QB?

Bo Nix has only played high school football. Does that make him effective? 

You really think people in the sports world can’t grow and change? Look at NM in the Washington State game. His stats were hardly remarkable. He even got called out by the Washington state team. That’s just not a fair assessment 64. What if he has shown throughout this competition based on Gus's evaluation that he should be the starter? (This question can be interchanged with Nix, Cord or Gatewood).

Sorry 64' I apologize for coming off so abrasive.

My whole point in all of this is not about criticism. It is about how people are already reacting to the idea of someone whom they may not want being named the starting QB. If Cord is this starting QB, then at the very least give him the freaking benefit of a doubt that he won the position because he was the best QB in a competitive QB battle. It does not mean our QB situation must be horrible, if he won. Nor does it mean our season will be free-falling.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

All I'm saying is assuming we will somehow upgrade at a position after a multi-year starter leaves is a dangerous thing to do and setting you up for disappointment. Normally when you lose a guy who held down a position for a significant amount of time there is an immediate dropoff. Not saying QB won't be upgraded next year but it's unlikely freshman versions of Joey Gatewood/Bo Nix or junior version of Malik Willis will be a boost to our offense.

All I’m saying is they can’t be as bad a negative

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

All I'm saying is assuming we will somehow upgrade at a position after a multi-year starter leaves is a dangerous thing to do and setting you up for disappointment. Normally when you lose a guy who held down a position for a significant amount of time there is an immediate dropoff. Not saying QB won't be upgraded next year but it's unlikely freshman versions of Joey Gatewood/Bo Nix or junior version of Malik Willis will be a boost to our offense.

I agree.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not a problem.....you are enthusiastic...I understand....but I do think we've seen enough of MW to have a sense of who he is at QB …..the sum of small samples is a big sample and there were almost no bright spots in those samples....that's the issue.  Now that could have changed and he's due a try but  I'm still of the view that if he is the best QB come August, we are likely to have problems....feel free to disagree... 

JMO and this is just an opinion, I see JG as the starter with Nix as backup with JG on a short leash and with the 4 game redshirt rule being used to assess when and how much to play him  depending on how well JG does.    Oregon is a bad game to have to earn the job.....but I still think it's in Nix's best interest to red shirt but the good news is the coaches have a lot of opportunity under game conditions to evaluate his readiness....and still have the redshirt option as a Plan B

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not a problem.....you are enthusiastic...I understand....but I do think we've seen enough of MW to have a sense of who he is at QB …..the sum of small samples is a big sample and there were almost no bright spots in those samples....that's the issue.  Now that could have changed and he's due a try but  I'm still of the view that if he is the best QB come August, we are likely to have problems....feel free to disagree... 

JMO and this is just an opinion, I see JG as the starter with Nix as backup with JG on a short leash and with the 4 game redshirt rule being used to assess when and how much to play him  depending on how well JG does.    Oregon is a bad game to have to earn the job.....but I still think it's in Nix's best interest to red shirt but the good news is the coaches have a lot of opportunity under game conditions to evaluate his readiness....and still have the redshirt option as a Plan B

That's fair. I feel like Nix will be the starter only based on my limited views of seeing of all of these guys, he seems to be the most polished in the pocket and with passing fundamentally. Now with that being said, He is a true freshman, and I can understand why that would cause caution in a lot of people, including myself. The game speed may be incredibly to fast for him, which really can be an issue. JG is a phenomenal athlete. He has the look of an all-SEC QB. My only concern is I have not heard anything in terms of how he passes, which is what I prioritize. If anything I think MW should move to CB, If he doesn't win, which speaks volume to the incredible athlete he also is.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DAG said:

No, negative commentary about athletes' athletic performance is not personal.

Thanks for attending my TED talk. 

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No, negative commentary about athletes' athletic performance is not personal.

Thanks for attending my TED talk. 

Even guys like Chizik and Gus, who have really crapped the bed at times, I love as people. I'm rooting for anybody in orange and blue. But critiquing how they do on a ball field is not personal. Criticism is not an attack. 

On 3/19/2019 at 7:52 AM, McLoofus said:

Lol, nobody "knows" that and nowhere close to everyone thinks it. 

Also, why do you say Malik is solid? What is solid about his abilities? 

Competition makes everybody better.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

To add on to this,  I think one reason why fans are down on Willis is that he seemed to regress from 2017 to 2018 as a QB.  Some of that may have been due to a lack of trust in the OL or protection or it may have been that he was told what to do with the ball prior to the snap (instead actually making a read).  But, based solely on what we saw last year, it does not bode well for his future.  The rest of the QBs are pretty much unknowns, although the little bit we saw of Joey in the bowl game looked promising.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DAG said:

You don't know that. That is the freaking point.  How the heck , based on a limited sample size, can you already conclude whether MW is capable of being an effective QB or not?

How do you know JG is effective? He had one run against Purdue and a poor throw against them. Does that make him an effective QB?

Bo Nix has only played high school football. Does that make him effective? 

You really think people in the sports world can’t grow and change? Look at NM in the Washington State game. His stats were hardly remarkable. He even got called out by the Washington state team. That’s just not a fair assessment 64. What if he has shown throughout this competition based on Gus's evaluation that he should be the starter? (This question can be interchanged with Nix, Cord or Gatewood).

My whole point in all of this is not about criticism. It is about how people are already reacting to the idea of someone whom they may not want being named the starting QB. If Cord is this starting QB, then at the very least give him the freaking benefit of a doubt that he won the position because he was the best QB in a competitive QB battle. It does not mean our QB situation must be horrible, if he won. Nor does it mean our season will be free-falling.

Totally agree, there is just no way to know who is the best QB at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think MW will be the starter either but I also haven’t seen enough to state that emphatically. We are mostly in a wishful thinking mode and hoping what we haven’t seen will shine. I still think Bo. I don’t know hs stats for all of them but I would suppose he had more completions and yards in one year as the others did in their careers. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think MW will be the starter either but I also haven’t seen enough to state that emphatically. We are mostly in a wishful thinking mode and hoping what we haven’t seen will shine. I still think Bo. I don’t know hs stats for all of them but I would suppose he had more completions and yards in one year as the others did in their careers. 

I agree that nix will start, but I hope to see the other guys make him earn it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

That may be a Gus helping Hugh thing. Good place for MW that will teach him how to play QB.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That may be a Gus helping Hugh thing. Good place for MW that will teach him how to play QB.

Awesome news. Hopefully people salute the young man, without slick comments. The kid wants to play QB while earning a degree. Good for him.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Awesome news. Hopefully people salute the young man, without slick comments. The kid wants to play QB while earning a degree. Good for him.

Nothing bad to say about the guy whatsoever. Only hope the best for him. 

Agree with Bird's assessment. This seems like a big win win for Willis and Freeze. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Isn't Liberty FBS now? This is a great opportunity for him to develop under a true QB developer. 

Freeze with be able to utilize Malik at Liberty's level of competition.  I'm happy for the kid and hope the NCAA clears him to play immediately.

Edited by keesler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:
2 hours ago, DAG said:

Nothing bad to say about the guy whatsoever. Only hope the best for him. 

Agree with Bird's assessment. This seems like a big win win for Willis and Freeze. 

I agree.  He is a kid that appears to have all the tools to be Nick Marshall-esque but he had the bad timing to be at AU while the offense was tweaked for a different type of QB.  In his VERY few opportunities I just think he panicked and thought he had to "do it all" in order to impress and gain headway.  Unfortunately, he pressed into mistakes (sometimes appearing selfish) and the rest is history.  FTR, I don't think he was selfish....just pressing too hard.

Much like Woody Barrett, I suspect Malik will have a good time in a different uniform and I hope he does very well.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t know what grounds he would get immediately eligible but I would like him to get it. 

I too wondered about this... I too would love for it to be approved but on what grounds does even qualify to apply for a waiver? Getting beat out by underclassmen isnt normally something that warrants immediate eligibility.

I do hope he gets it approved though. 

• Thanks 2