A Damaged Soul and a Disordered Personality

homersapien

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, SaltyTiger said:

I had thumbs up from ICHY the other day. 

Wish @TitanTiger would start listing the weekly ICHY leader

I'm sure that if ICHY posted anything he would go with the my account was hacked response.

22 hours ago, Grumps said:

I thank you for sharing your opinion. It just seems to m that to be removed from office ASAP there ought to be a legitimate reason other than that he is a douche and a lot of people don't like him.

Have I ever said otherwise?

21 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

How young were you when the adults in your life recognized that you are so gifted?

It doesn't take a special gift.  Common sense and critical thinking suffice just fine.

Of course, exposing yourself to information beyond "Fox and Trump's twitters" helps. ;)

23 hours ago, japantiger said:

"What in hell was he supposed to do" ?  Simple,  apply common sense.  Common sense would tell any reasonable person the whole thing was a complete fabrication as it has now been shown to be.... 

McCain's actions in combat speak for themselves; and unfortunately so do his political actions.   One does not insulate the other.  And please, spare me the decency horse***t.  Lets go back and review the Kavanaugh hearing's process and talk about decency.  Let's review the entire sordid "Dossier" bull**** and talk decency.  Look at anything Harry Reid ever did or said about anyone and talk decency.   Look at what Democrats said about McCAin while he was running for President and talk decency.  You only care about McCain because you think he gives you leverage because of his military background.  Fortunately, most Americans are smarter than you.  

Actually, I much prefer "soldiers who didn't get captured".  Just like your Dear Leader.

But you're right about one thing, "decency horse***t" is totally wasted on a jerk like you. You have that in common with Trump.

19 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Brother Homer as an adult

tenor.gif

You give him way too much credit. If he has a diploma from AU it must be fake.

1) DJT was damaged 30+ years ago. it is a shame that it took most of the country watching him get elected to see it. 

2) The dossier? I think some really intelligent people would have seen it as nothing more than political year snark and gossip. No one went on record. The report was brimming with salaciousness. I swear if I hear one more pseudo-intellectual tell one more "urine trouble" or "urine danger of losing the election" pun I will go postal myself. 

3) The media, except for Buzzfeed <eyeroll> understood it was crap and would have nothing to do with it until after HRC lost.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Classic attack the messenger.

Yep. I should not have done that. Had a glass and half of wine and some fresh lime pound cake last night. The cake must have made me do it.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Of course, exposing yourself to information beyond "Fox and Trump's twitters" helps

Ya mean like Vox and Salon?

Hey, I have been without Fox since the Hurricane. Do get local news and Family Feud.

I am a hurricane victim. Very insensitive of you to say that. Trumplike...... 

On 3/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, homersapien said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/trump-tweets-attack-john-mccain/585193/

Trump’s continuing attacks on John McCain reveal a worrisome state of mind.

Donald Trump is not well. Over the weekend, he continued his weird obsession with a dead war hero. This time, his attacks on John McCain came two days after the anniversary of McCain’s release from a North Vietnamese prison camp. He tweeted this:

And this:

And retweeted this:

All this comes in the aftermath of Trump’s comments about McCain in 2015. “He’s not a war hero,” Trump said. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

These grotesque attacks once again force us to grapple with a perennial question of the Trump era: How much attention should we pay to his tweets; and what exactly do they reveal about America’s 45th president?

I’m sympathetic to those who worry that too many Americans spend too much time paying too much attention to what Trump tweets. The danger is that we allow Trump to succeed in keeping us in a state of constant agitation and moral consternation, in ways that are unhealthy and even play to Trump’s advantage, allowing him to control the nation’s conversation.

But that view, which might apply in some circumstances, shouldn’t apply in all circumstances. The real danger in so desensitizing ourselves to Trump’s tweets is that we normalize deviant behavior and begin to accept what is unacceptable.

A culture lives or dies based on its allegiance to unwritten rules of conduct and unstated norms, on the signals sent about what kind of conduct constitutes good character and honor and what kind of conduct constitutes dishonor and corruption. Like each of us, our leaders are all too human, flawed and imperfect. But that reality can’t make us indifferent or cynical when it comes to holding those in authority to reasonable moral standards. After all, cultures are shaped by the words and deeds that leaders, including political leaders, validate or invalidate.

“To his equals he was condescending; to his inferiors kind; and to the dear object of his affections exemplary tender,” Henry Lee said in his eulogy of George Washington. “Correct throughout, vice shuddered in his presence, and virtue always felt his fostering hand; the purity of his private character gave effulgence to his public virtues.”

But the other reason we should pay attention to the tweets and other comments by the president is that they are shafts of light that illuminate not only his damaged soul, but his disordered personality.

It doesn’t take a person with an advanced degree in psychology to see Trump’s narcissism and lack of empathy, his vindictiveness and pathological lying, his impulsivity and callousness, his inability to be guided by norms, or his shamelessness and dehumanization of those who do not abide his wishes. His condition is getting worse, not better—and there are now fewer people in the administration able to contain the president and act as a check on his worst impulses.

This constellation of characteristics would be worrisome in a banker or a high-school teacher, in an aircraft machinist or a warehouse manager, in a gas-station attendant or a truck driver. To have them define the personality of an American president is downright alarming.

Whether the worst scenarios come to pass or not is right now unknowable. But what we do know is that the president is a person who seems to draw energy and purpose from maliciousness and transgressive acts, from creating enmity among people of different races, religions, and backgrounds, and from attacking the weak, the honorable, and even the dead.

Donald Trump is not well, and as long as he is president, our nation is not safe.

Peter Wehner is a contributing editor at The Atlantic and a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center. He writes widely on political, cultural, religious, and national-security issues.

I won't go as far as calling him not well, but that was childish. And there was no reason for it. None.

He doubles down a lot. More childishness: http://hopelesslypartisan.com/the-worlds-richest-barroom-loudmouth-cont-3/

This is one time Trump needs to nix it. John McCain is one of my war heroes but I lost respect for him as a politician. He got nasty himself sometime. But he has passed on so time for Trump to move on.

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

Actually, I much prefer "soldiers who didn't get captured".  Just like your Dear Leader.

But you're right about one thing, "decency horse***t" is totally wasted on a jerk like you. You have that in common with Trump.

Oh Homey....it's politics....Trump's just playing by the democrat playbook.  That's what really gauls you.  He's finally an R that won't self disqualify by letting the Democrat media machine define him or his policies.  He actually fights back....and oh man, it hurts doesn't it....

In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.

George Orwell

On 3/19/2019 at 2:20 PM, homersapien said:

Are you really OK with a president - who fraudulently avoided military service - to disparage and trash a veteran who spent 5 years in an enemy prison camp undergoing torture while in service to our country?

Is that the new norm?

Before I read the rest of the thread, I'm gonna bet a bajillion dollars no one answers this question.

EDIT: Hey, guess what... everyone ignored it.

22 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Before I read the rest of the thread, I'm gonna bet a bajillion dollars no one answers this question.

EDIT: Hey, guess what... everyone ignored it.

Hell, Trump is more the norm than the exception.  Carter served from '46-'52 as a Naval Officer, Reagan served but made training movies for the Army and Army Air Force during WWII, GHW Bush served as a pilot and was a war hero in WWII, Clinton got special deferments and lead anti US protests in London while attending Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, then said he would join ROTC in order to get another deferment....he never joined ROTC (BTW Clinton's mentor was Sen J William Fullbright from Fullbright Scholarship fame...He filibustered and voted against all the Civil Rights legislation with all the other racists like Al Gore Sr), GW Bush served in the Air Force Reserve (that was dangerous duty), Obama never served (not old enough for the draft), Trump got deferments.  Everyone that had any political clout or connections were able to get Viet Nam Draft deferments.  

Homer, you claim to be old....did you serve?  If not how did you get out of the draft?

10 hours ago, japantiger said:

Oh Homey....it's politics....Trump's just playing by the democrat playbook.  That's what really gauls you.  He's finally an R that won't self disqualify by letting the Democrat media machine define him or his policies.  He actually fights back....and oh man, it hurts doesn't it....

In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.

George Orwell

Are you really OK with a president - who fraudulently avoided military service - to disparage and trash a veteran who spent 5 years in an enemy prison camp undergoing torture while in service to our country?

Is that the new norm?

17 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Ya mean like Vox and Salon?

Hey, I have been without Fox since the Hurricane. Do get local news and Family Feud.

I am a hurricane victim. Very insensitive of you to say that. Trumplike...... 

Vox and Salon don't even represent 10% of my regular news and opinion sources.

You - on the other hand - specified Fox and Trump tweets, period.

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

Hell, Trump is more the norm than the exception.  Carter served from '46-'52 as a Naval Officer, Reagan served but made training movies for the Army and Army Air Force during WWII, GHW Bush served as a pilot and was a war hero in WWII, Clinton got special deferments and lead anti US protests in London while attending Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, then said he would join ROTC in order to get another deferment....he never joined ROTC (BTW Clinton's mentor was Sen J William Fullbright from Fullbright Scholarship fame...He filibustered and voted against all the Civil Rights legislation with all the other racists like Al Gore Sr), GW Bush served in the Air Force Reserve (that was dangerous duty), Obama never served (not old enough for the draft), Trump got deferments.  Everyone that had any political clout or connections were able to get Viet Nam Draft deferments.  

Homer, you claim to be old....did you serve?  If not how did you get out of the draft?

Nice deflection, but none of those people, including me, trashed McCain.

I signed up for the draft at age 18 and would have gone if called. But I started with a student deferment and wound up with a high lottery number.  My father or I never made an concerted effort to avoid it, like Trump. 

But more to the point, I recognize and honor McCain for the hero he was, regardless of his politics.

That's a far cry from Trump said "I prefer soldiers who didn't get captured."  What  POS think to say. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Vox and Salon don't even represent 10% of my regular news and opinion sources.

You - on the other hand - specified Fox and Trump tweets, period.

When?

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

I signed up for the draft at age 18 and would have gone if called. But I started with a student deferment and wound up with a high lottery number.  My father or I never made an concerted effort to avoid it, like Trump. 

But more to the point, I recognize and honor McCain for the hero he was, regardless of his politics.

That's a far cry from Trump said "I prefer soldiers who didn't get captured."  What  POS think to say. 

Ha Ha😂, you and Trump are deferment brothers!!!  I could not make this stuff up if I tried.  You are such a hoot.  Trumps education deferments and one for bone spurs is what you classify as "making a concerted effort to avoid it," but your deferment was not the same at all was it?  If it means so much to you, you could have volunteered to go.  But no, you sat at home!  You were just lucky, huh?.  I wonder if the NY Times sent a bunch of reporters to investigate your deferment, with the intent to cast aspersions on your character, if they would come back with anything?  You should run for President then you could have a bunch of people, just like you, mouthing off about everything you say or do.  My guess is you would crumble from the scrutiny!!!!

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

Ha Ha😂, you and Trump are deferment brothers!!!  I could not make this stuff up if I tried.  You are such a hoot.  Trumps education deferments and one for bone spurs is what you classify as "making a concerted effort to avoid it," but your deferment was not the same at all was it?  If it means so much to you, you could have volunteered to go.  But no, you sat at home!  You were just lucky, huh?.  I wonder if the NY Times sent a bunch of reporters to investigate your deferment, with the intent to cast aspersions on your character, if they would come back with anything?  You should run for President then you could have a bunch of people, just like you, mouthing off about everything you say or do.  My guess is you would crumble from the scrutiny!!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/12/27/trump-vietnam-war-bone-spur-diagnosis/2420475002/

WASHINGTON – Two daughters of a New York podiatrist say that 50 years ago their father diagnosed President Donald Trump with bone spurs in his heels as a favor to the doctor's landlord, Fred Trump, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

Trump received five deferments from the draft for military service during the Vietnam War. He received four education deferments while he was a college student and a fifth deferment in 1968 for a medical exemption after he graduated. 

That's what is known as a "concerted effort" to avoid the draft.

And yes, I was just lucky. Because had I been called, I would have gone.  I would not have cheated to avoid it.

I don't apologize for not volunteering for Viet Nam out of high school.  I was the first one in my family to attend college and at the time, that was a lot more important to me than volunteering for a war I didn't understand.  Had I been drafted during or while in college, I would have gone.  I wouldn't have my daddy finagle a way out, as Trump did.

Regardless, unlike Trump, I always respected the people who did serve in Nam - especially those who sacrificed more than just their time.  I would never disparage them the way Trump did:  "I prefer soldiers who weren't captured"

You'd have to be a real POS to say that about someone who suffered 5 years as a POW while refusing a release before his prisoners. And that's true even if you hadn't made a concerted effort to avoid serving.

But if you don't see the distinction, that's your problem, not mine.

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

I admire that Homer every male over 18 was reguired to sign up as did I and just like you I had a student deferment with a high draft number. Lucky lucky me. My Dad was a disabled vet from WWII and as you say I would have gone but I'm glad it didn't happen. I had classmates from high school die over there. This is not a jab at you or your Dad Homer just that we were so so lucky we did not have to go. Also I was in many protests against the war my girlfriend at Auburn at the time was a Weatherman Sgt. yes Auburn had Weathermen all be it only 10 members who I was never allowed to see or meet. If you were enrolled at Auburn around 1970 or 71 you would remember a bomb threat at Thach Hall. Well that was Weathermen

As for McCain I truly admire him for his service in Nam and the pain he went thru at Hanoi Hilton especially turning down early release after they found out his Dad was a Admiral. I actually met him and Jeremiah Denton at a function. 

And finally for Trump who avoided the draft he's a prick and low life POS but if we're all honest who are we to say we would not have done the same to avoid Nam if we had the ability to do so.

Nam was the worst god awful s&^% to happen war when it did not have too.

peace sign GIF

Archived