Depth Chart Today

toddc

I’ll try to update when things change and when the team updates during spring practice!

1st-team offense:

-- QB Malik Willis

-- RB Kam Martin

-- HB/TE: John Samuel Shenker

-- WR: Shedrick Jackson

-- WR: Eli Stove

-- WR Sal Cannella

-- OL: LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Marquel Harrell, C Kaleb Kim, RG Mike Horton, RT Jack Driscoll

2nd-team offense:

-- QB: Joey Gatewood

-- RB: Boobee Whitlow

-- HB/TE: Harold Joiner

-- WR: Seth Williams

-- WR: Matthew Hill

-- WR: Marquis McClain

-- OL: LT Bailey Sharp, LG Tashawn Manning, C Nick Brahms, RG Brodarious Hamm, RT Austin Troxell

3rd-team offense:

-- QB Cord Sandberg

-- RB: D.J. Williams

-- HB/TE: Tyler Fromm

-- WR: Kolbi Fuqua

-- WR: James Owens Moss

-- OL: LT Kameron Stutts, LG Alec Jackson, C Jalil Irvin, RG Trent Kelley, RT Prince Michael Sammons

4th-team offense:

-- QB Bo Nix and RB Malik Miller saw reps on the fourth rotation, with the rest of the second-team offense surrounding them.

1st-team defense:

DL: DE Marlon Davidson, DT Derrick Brown, DT Tyrone Truesdell, Buck Nick Coe

LB: OLB Chandler Wooten, MLB K.J. Britt, OLD Zakoby McClain

CB: Noah Igbinoghene and Roger McCreary

Nickel: Christian Tutt

S: FS Jeremiah Dinson, SS Daniel Thomas

*Note: Davis and Monday did not participate in these drills.

2nd-team defense:

-- DL: DE Big Kat Bryant, DT Coynis Miller Jr., DT Gary Walker, Buck T.D. Moultry

-- LB: OLB Owen Pappoe, MLB Michael Harris, OLB Josh Marsh

-- CB: Devin Guice, Devan Barrett

-- Nickel: Zion Puckett

-- S: FS Jamien Sherwood, SS Malcolm Askew

3rd-team defense:

-- DL: DE Colby Wooden, DT Caleb Johnson, DT Jacob von Eschenbach, Buck Richard Jibunor

-- LB: OLB Tanner Dean, MLB Barrett Tindall, OLB Russ Logan

-- CB: Cam’Ron Kelly, Traivon Leonard

-- Nickel: Craig Carter

-- S: FS Sam Sherrod, SS Josh French

I’m a little surprised by Seth W. on 2nd team and S. Jackson on 1st team. Someone who knows wr positions better than I can explain, please!

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

I’m a little surprised by Seth W. on 2nd team and S. Jackson on 1st team. Someone who knows wr positions better than I can explain, please!

Don't put any stock into that. A lot of mixing and matching happens at this stage every season. You'll see several more combinations before spring is over. 

Jackson earned a start against arky I think. Jackson has shown to be a great blocker and unfortunately for us that seems to be the best attribute our coaches value from the wr position

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Jackson earned a start against arky I think. Jackson has shown to be a great blocker and unfortunately for us that seems to be the best attribute our coaches value from the wr position

He's my 2019 early pick for TZac clone of the year. 

I should note that this prediction has never panned out. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He's my 2019 early pick for TZac clone of the year. 

I should note that this prediction has never panned out. 

Now if we could only bring back TZach's stop-n-go...

If I recall correctly, we haven't seen it since '09 or close to it.

No big surprises so far except for Jackson but I thought maybe Davidson or Coe  would move inside with Big Cat starting at Buck. But Truesdell was coming on for sure at end of last season. That definitely gives us a huge DL   Also Nigh was backup FB/HB all last year but not on depth chart now.  Another surprise but not a big deal are you sure Eschenbach was 3rd team DT at 220 lbs?

Seth Williams is the best WR we have, hands down. And I understand Kam is a senior and all but really? I think Boobee has earned that number one spot on the depth chart. I know we switch WRs and RBs around a lot early in the season so it doesn’t matter, but those two guys deserve their starting roles.

I’ll actually be very surprised if Malik can beat out Gatewood and Bo. If he does, we basically know that Gus is going back to the old Nick Marshall variation of his offense. The QB tells the story this season. Nix/Stidham, Gatewood/Cam, Malik/NM.

14 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Seth Williams is the best WR we have, hands down. And I understand Kam is a senior and all but really? I think Boobee has earned that number one spot on the depth chart. I know we switch WRs and RBs around a lot early in the season so it doesn’t matter, but those two guys deserve their starting roles.

I’ll actually be very surprised if Malik can beat out Gatewood and Bo. If he does, we basically know that Gus is going back to the old Nick Marshall variation of his offense. The QB tells the story this season. Nix/Stidham, Gatewood/Cam, Malik/NM.

Unless WIllis settles down and shows vast improvement and accuracy w/ his passing, he won't be the starter. Gus couldn't use Willis like Marshall bc Marshall had a very good passing arm. Willis, I feel strongly does not and we can't win if we don't have a consistent passing game.

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Interesting they have Stutts over at left tackle. A little development going on!

Who else is gonna go there?

When looking at RB and WR, don't forget that Shivers and Schwartz are not participating due to track season.  Can't take these depth charts too seriously because we know both of those guys will be used.

14 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Kam “starts”, Boobie carries the load.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 12:57 PM, toddc said:

I’ll try to update when things change and when the team updates during spring practice!

1st-team offense:

-- QB Malik Willis

-- RB Kam Martin

-- HB/TE: John Samuel Shenker

-- WR: Shedrick Jackson

-- WR: Eli Stove

-- WR Sal Cannella

-- OL: LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Marquel Harrell, C Kaleb Kim, RG Mike Horton, RT Jack Driscoll

2nd-team offense:

-- QB: Joey Gatewood

-- RB: Boobee Whitlow

-- HB/TE: Harold Joiner

-- WR: Seth Williams

-- WR: Matthew Hill

-- WR: Marquis McClain

-- OL: LT Bailey Sharp, LG Tashawn Manning, C Nick Brahms, RG Brodarious Hamm, RT Austin Troxell

3rd-team offense:

-- QB Cord Sandberg

-- RB: D.J. Williams

-- HB/TE: Tyler Fromm

-- WR: Kolbi Fuqua

-- WR: James Owens Moss

-- OL: LT Kameron Stutts, LG Alec Jackson, C Jalil Irvin, RG Trent Kelley, RT Prince Michael Sammons

4th-team offense:

-- QB Bo Nix and RB Malik Miller saw reps on the fourth rotation, with the rest of the second-team offense surrounding them.

1st-team defense:

DL: DE Marlon Davidson, DT Derrick Brown, DT Tyrone Truesdell, Buck Nick Coe

LB: OLB Chandler Wooten, MLB K.J. Britt, OLD Zakoby McClain

CB: Noah Igbinoghene and Roger McCreary

Nickel: Christian Tutt

S: FS Jeremiah Dinson, SS Daniel Thomas

*Note: Davis and Monday did not participate in these drills.

2nd-team defense:

-- DL: DE Big Kat Bryant, DT Coynis Miller Jr., DT Gary Walker, Buck T.D. Moultry

-- LB: OLB Owen Pappoe, MLB Michael Harris, OLB Josh Marsh

-- CB: Devin Guice, Devan Barrett

-- Nickel: Zion Puckett

-- S: FS Jamien Sherwood, SS Malcolm Askew

3rd-team defense:

-- DL: DE Colby Wooden, DT Caleb Johnson, DT Jacob von Eschenbach, Buck Richard Jibunor

-- LB: OLB Tanner Dean, MLB Barrett Tindall, OLB Russ Logan

-- CB: Cam’Ron Kelly, Traivon Leonard

-- Nickel: Craig Carter

-- S: FS Sam Sherrod, SS Josh French

Gatewood is now running with the 1st team offense. Everything I have read about him is saying he is a different player than last year and is doing a very good job with running the offense.  I think tomorrow we will see him light it up in the scrimmage. JMHO.  WDE Doc!! Team Gatewood all the way!!

On 3/21/2019 at 12:14 AM, TexasTiger said:

Boobie carries the load.

Too easy

To me, the biggest surprise on that entire list is Richard Jibunor running with 3rd team right now.   I think he has starter potential!   I would like to see Nick Coe start at DE, Davidson at DT, and watch Big Kat and RJ compete for the starting Buck role.   🤷‍♂️

Guess I have lots of doubts about the offensive first team listing....

Sad to see Malik Willis drop from 1st team offense to 3rd team offense in a matter of about a week but they got it correct. I do miss that 2013 Nick Marshall read option offense though.

Excited to see how they are using Joey that's kicking him to top of the heap. Not many Cam sized QBs are legit dual threats (except short yardage) and he must have made huge passing game strides if he's now seen as our best pocket/short yardage run threat.

Archived