Post Game thread

AUTigersfan89

If anything, I hope this game is a major lesson. It's worrying that we didn't look anything like our SECT team from last week. We played the same ball that made us lose to Ole Miss mid-season (get complacent). Huge mental mistakes all the way through (by our most experienced players!). Honestly, at the end, NMSU wanted it more, and I would've been okay watching us lose.

Going forward, if we even dare get complacent with a 10+ point lead, we'll get run out of the arena by Kansas and anyone beyond that. Our players need to realize they just got away with one, and they need to step it up in more ways than one if we even want to sniff the Sweet 16

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sure that the 4 games in 4 days and altitude that literally everyone said might give us problems don't at least partially explain the collapse at the end?

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You sure that the 4 games in 4 days and altitude that literally everyone said might give us problems don't at least partially explain the collapse at the end?

lack of oxygen to the brain, you mean?....it was not legs nor altitude that caused the callapse...it was dumbass basketball

Just now, doverstutts said:

lack of oxygen to the brain, you mean?....it was not legs nor altitude that caused the callapse...it was dumbass basketball

Um, yes, tired people make mental mistakes whether they're oxygen-deprived or not. (But oxygen deprivation, if it was in play today, compounds that.)

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Um, yes, tired people make mental mistakes whether they're oxygen-deprived or not. (But oxygen deprivation, if it was in play today, compounds that.)

I am just glad we won, but NMSU played at the same altitude that we did....bruce needs to make them go back to the hotel and rest,have meals brought to them.......basketball is much more nerve wracking than football for me, or at least it is NOW

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know if we're being facetious here or not. But I doubt oxygen deprivation at 4200 ft would cause us to be that absent minded.

Haven’t actually watched the game, but listened to the Sirius broadcast of the last 2 minutes.  I’ve had blood pressure issues all week and I blame it on basketball (plus the little heathens I am teaching this year 🙄).  Can I get Bruce Pearl to pay my doctor copay for me?

Sometimes  I feel like they force the ball to someone who is cold, just to try and turn it on.  I need to watch this game and see, but I’ll need to take an extra losartan!

1 minute ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I don't know if we're being facetious here or not. But I doubt oxygen deprivation at 4200 ft would cause us to be that absent minded.

I think you focused on the wrong part of my post. 

1 minute ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

mcloofus has a point, and he is right about the altitude and dead legs, but it won't lower you basketball IQ,lol

21 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Reflect on our disappointing, unacceptable performance in this thread.

If anything, I hope this game is a major lesson. It's worrying that we didn't look anything like our SECT team from last week. We played the same ball that made us lose to Ole Miss mid-season (get complacent). Huge mental mistakes all the way through (by our most experienced players!). Honestly, at the end, NMSU wanted it more, and I would've been okay watching us lose.

Going forward, if we even dare get complacent with a 10+ point lead, we'll get run out of the arena by Kansas and anyone beyond that. Our players need to realize they just got away with one, and they need to step it up in more ways than one if we even want to sniff the Sweet 16

We won an NCAA Tournament game today. I’m okay 

Dear OP,

It's the freaking NCAA Tournament.  If you win at all, it's not "disappointing or unacceptable".  Kindly go jump in a lake.

Sincerely,

Long Suffering AU Hoops Fans Everywhere Who Have Waited Years For Any Kind of Success

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I am just glad we won, but NMSU played at the same altitude that we did....bruce needs to make them go back to the hotel and rest,have meals brought to them.......basketball is much more nerve wracking than football for me, or at least it is NOW

Agree with all. Only thing I'll point out is Las Cruces is 3900' above sea level. Auburn is at 702'. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

And y’all, I just don’t think 4200 feet is all that high.  I never had any problems with it.  

It is if you aren't used to it.  Spent a ton of time in Denver myself growing up.  Sprinting and running up and down like this will take it out of you quickly.  There's a reason every NFL team that plays against the Broncos uses copious amounts of oxygen tanks.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dear OP,

It's the freaking NCAA Tournament.  If you win at all, it's not "disappointing or unacceptable".  Kindly go jump in a lake.

Sincerely,

Long Suffering AU Hoops Fans Everywhere Who Have Waited Years For Any Kind of Success

True

5 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

And y’all, I just don’t think 4200 feet is all that high.  I never had any problems with it.  

All due respect, did you attempt to play sports at an elite level? Just a day or two after attaining that altitude? And immediately after a 4-day tournament run? 

Pearl was right. We certainly won that game because NMSU definitely didn’t lose it. They played spectacularly the last few minutes. We had done just enough to squeak it out. 

Winner. Moving on. 

I expect us to be locked in next game after that scare. Think we’ll wake up a little 

19 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Don't think it makes you stupid.....ask Docforaday…..he lives at about 4000 feet and sounds pretty smart to me...:)

5 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

@McLoofus and @Brad_ATX, y’all got a point. 😂😂😂 I bet I couldn’t run down the court once without falling over.  I just never felt any kind of difference in the air when I was in Salt Lake.  

If you're just walking, you wouldn't.  It's when you start running that you notice it.  Or drinking.  Never get into a drinking contest with someone from higher elevations.  You will lose.

Archived