Post Game thread

AUTigersfan89

11 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

You should try it.

C,mon....4000 is not that high...much less than many major U.S. Cities...like Denver where football and basketball are played with little effect on visitors and people are not making bad decisions because of "oxygen deprevaton"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

C,mon....4000 is not that high...much less than many major U.S. Cities...like Denver where football and basketball are played with little effect on visitors and people are not making bad decisions because of "oxygen deprevaton"

Man. Thank You. I was really hoping people weren't really going to run with this and it be a thing

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Denver altitude has little effect on visitors? Huh?

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man. Thank You. I was really hoping people weren't really going to run with this and it be a thing

Tired legs. Altitude. SEC tournament win hangover. A lot going on. Play well and smart for 35 minutes and then suddenly turn into idiots? I dunno, they might've been tired.

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Denver altitude has little effect on visitors? Huh?

Tired legs. Altitude. SEC tournament win hangover. A lot going on. Play well and smart for 35 minutes and then suddenly turn into idiots? I dunno, they might've been tired.

There are a bunch of teams that go through hardships. I still don't know what the tired legs thing have to do with ANYTHING as far as last two minutes. Everybody on 🌎 can find an excuse as far as when things go wrong. Tired legs has nothing to do with leaving a guy wide open two times when the game is on the line. SEC hangover? Everybody knows you play all those games just to get to this moment. Everybody knows 5 12 seeds are prime for "upsets". That's like saying you have a hangover for what your goal and what you prepared to do for an entire year. 

They have a history of not making good decisions at the end of games. Nobody's brain is deprived of oxygen to a point where they get confused should they run out of bounds? Should I want the ball or give it to the other team. Should I foul a guy with the lead? 

Making excuses like that would make a team weak. Make a team entitled. You have some kids playing basketball in winter outside because they want it just that bad.....you have some kids that won't play in a gym without air condition.....don't know about you but I'd put my money on the kids that will play anywhere as far as being successful. 

Fatigue is real. I actually wrote about I think Harper played too many minutes during the regular season and he would be fatigued now. Fatigue effects jump shots, free throws, getting through screens. It doesn't effect you leaving a guy wide open, handling a ball, driving to the goal out of control. That's freezing up when the pressure is turned up. That's not knowing how to win

I agree on the general fatigue thing but not the poor decision making.  Mostly AU played a "walk the ball up game" so fatigue should not have been a big issue anyway.    Yep....it would have been nice for the SEC tourney to be over on Saturday ….or for AU to get into one of the Friday brackets which the committee could have easily done.  

JMO but BP did a good job of spreading the minutes around during the SEC tournament ..but our inside guys still have trouble finding the basket unless their hand is still on the ball when it goes through the rim....and we seem to make more mistakes when we get ahead and are trying to milk the clock.   Played one of the worst games of the year and still won the game......so there's that to be happy about. 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

They have a history of not making good decisions at the end of games.

This is what I was looking for and didn't know. Thank you.

As for the rest, it seems like the conversation keeps separating all of these different things- fatigue, hangover, altitude- and why they individually wouldn't matter, whereas all of them combined might present an unusual challenge that not many teams face and certainly that these guys aren't used to. 

But I didn't know about them having a history of this, so I'm glad to get educated. 

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

They have a history of not making good decisions at the end of games.

BS. If this were true the team's record wouldn't be 27-9.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Sure…why not?    .like yesterday and a few other recent games....made a ton of mistakes and still managed to win the games...but let some get away also if I recall correctly.    .that kind of play just made them unnecessarily more stressful for players and coaches....and fans....but interesting  too...:).  

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is what I was looking for and didn't know. Thank you.

As for the rest, it seems like the conversation keeps separating all of these different things- fatigue, hangover, altitude- and why they individually wouldn't matter, whereas all of them combined might present an unusual challenge that not many teams face and certainly that these guys aren't used to. 

But I didn't know about them having a history of this, so I'm glad to get educated. 

I'm not going to give anything to altitude as to a bunch of teams is playing in that same gym. And once again hang over...I just don't see how anything can top the working hard to get to a tournament where every game is win or go home....I don't think I ever hear in football playoff games a team say they were hung over. If anything they don't take the other games seriously but not the playoff game. 

Like I said fatigue is real but they don't correlate to the things that went wrong

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You seem to be confused as to think every post I make I have to prove something to you. Love me or hate me nobody on here can really say I don't know basketball and be serious. If I did feel I need to prove something it wouldn't be to you

I may give you too much credit but I just feel like you can't be serious with some stuff you say. We just won yesterday but we didn't close out well so what do you posting a record have to do with anything? In your mind do you think every game end in a high stress close out? Or did you really just post that because you felt like it made sense?

We didn't close out well south C and NC State those are games we lost. We didn't close out Xavier and this team well and those are just a couple and we won. I use those to show the progression from here to now. I'm not going to argue with you about every little thing, if you have some insecurity with me posting then formulate a debate that even seems like you're trying to be legit. What you did here is ridiculous.....if you were being serious. I hope you weren't.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm not going to give anything to altitude as to a bunch of teams is playing in that same gym.

Yeah, and the team we played yesterday's home gym is basically at the same altitude.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think I ever hear in football playoff games a team say they were hung over.

Well, I mean, LSU 2012 is a really easy and obvious example, but we don't have to go nearly that far back to find dozens of other examples.  

I get it. They did the same dumb stuff late that they've been doing. Point conceded. But it doesn't mean that there weren't other unique challenges in play. 

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Fatigue is real. I actually wrote about I think Harper played too many minutes during the regular season and he would be fatigued now. Fatigue effects jump shots, free throws, getting through screens. It doesn't effect you leaving a guy wide open, handling a ball, driving to the goal out of control. That's freezing up when the pressure is turned up. That's not knowing how to win

Bingo. I’m dissatisfied with tbe upperclassmen (basically the whole team) that didn’t help stop the bleeding. Jvon stepped up with some critical FTs but that’s about the only player that made a difference. We have numerous players that should be grizzled enough to handle their nerves and to respond to what NMST was doing. Everybody points out tbe TOs, the missed FTs, and the bad fouls late in tbe game, but we put ourselves into the situation. We passed the ball to the wrong guy and it resulted in a missed FT. We didn’t rebound, and didn’t block out the running rebounders. We played like we were cocooned into a fetal position hoping the time would run out. A win is a win but I feel like we lost our confidence that was built up during the SEC tourney. 

I hope Dunbar will play better tomorrow night, his game was off yesterday.  

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, and the team we played yesterday's home gym is basically at the same altitude.

Well, I mean, LSU 2012 is a really easy and obvious example, but we don't have to go nearly that far back to find dozens of other examples.  

I get it. They did the same dumb stuff late that they've been doing. Point conceded. But it doesn't mean that there weren't other unique challenges in play. 

No I don't think that's the same. Playing in a bowl game is one thing but a team wasn't ready to play in a game that's directly lined up to go to the championship. I haven't seen it, so I'm missing the dozens of examples. But it's not about that to me. I don't care if your legs are tired your chest hurt whatever excuse, what does that have to do with dribbling should I stay inbounds. Should I possess this ball. Should I foul this guy shooting a 3. People can play high and know not to do that. Tired legs doesn't correlate. Yet alone all the things every team goes through every year that people don't know about. We didn't face a hardship that's unique. If we are going to make excuses about travelling then why are we even playing? 

These are guys who've been starting since they were freshmen and they're upper classmen now

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No I don't think that's the same. Playing in a bowl game is one thing but a team wasn't ready to play in a game that's directly lined up to go to the championship. I haven't seen it, so I'm missing the dozens of examples. But it's not about that to me. I don't care if your legs are tired your chest hurt whatever excuse, what does that have to do with dribbling should I stay inbounds. Should I possess this ball. Should I foul this guy shooting a 3. People can play high and know not to do that. Tired legs doesn't correlate. Yet alone all the things every team goes through every year that people don't know about. We didn't face a hardship that's unique. If we are going to make excuses about travelling then why are we even playing? 

These are guys who've been starting since they were freshmen and they're upper classmen now

Okay man, you really are arguing just to argue now. I already told you twice that I now understand that we made mistakes that are characteristic of this team and have nothing to do with the other issues.

Why you refuse to acknowledge that other teams don't usually have that many of those other issues at once- whether or not they made our team stupid at the end- I don't know. But I'll take the L on getting you to think about it and let the conversation get back to basketball. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay man, you really are arguing just to argue now. I already told you twice that I now understand that we made mistakes that are characteristic of this team and have nothing to do with the other issues.

Why you refuse to acknowledge that other teams don't usually have that many of those other issues at once- whether or not they made our team stupid at the end- I don't know. But I'll take the L on getting you to think about it and let the conversation get back to basketball. 

I'm just letting you know the reasons I say what I say and when you summarize it up you're saying something different than what I'm saying. But I don't want to start the whole I'm arguing to be arguing thing, when I wrote what I wrote I wasn't even talking to anybody in particular. The convo I was having was always about basketball. Didn't want people who may not play basketball to think you can ever reach a point where you are so tired you get confused as to literally not know what you are doing on a basketball court....

I don't acknowledge it because the issues aren't issues. They are made up and they are scenarios many teams have dealt with before. Fatigued and playing in Denver? Just about every team that is playing in Denver.....hangover from winning? I mean ok if that's a thing. Nothing I've experienced in my life or heard people talk about that have played in the tournament so I don't believe it. 

I think you could've just said agree to disagree before you said the argue stuff though. I respected you enough to explain myself. I don't see where you or anybody else on this board do anything different. Didn't talk down, didn't insult, stayed on topic explained my position and why I don't agree with the other. I guess I just can't get it right

McLoofus is correct, the cumulative effects of ending the SEC tourney on Sunday, a long travel day, adjusting to time change, as well as altitude all have a cumulative effect.

Because, Science!

https://www.wildsafe.org/resources/outdoor-safety-101/altitude-safety-101/high-altitude-oxygen-levels/

(And don't forget the cabin pressure of that long jet ride is set to equal an altitude of 6000 to 8000 ft.)

All of these things affect physical and mental performance to some degree. Hell, you can notice it on a business trip if you are paying attention.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

McLoofus is correct, the cumulative effects of ending the SEC tourney on Sunday, a long travel day, adjusting to time change, as well as altitude all have a cumulative effect.

Because, Science!

https://www.wildsafe.org/resources/outdoor-safety-101/altitude-safety-101/high-altitude-oxygen-levels/

(And don't forget the cabin pressure of that long get ride is set to equal an altitude of 6000 to 8000 ft.)

All of these things affect physical and mental performance to some degree. Hell, you can notice it on a business trip if you are paying attention.

Nobody really debated that. The question is on that business trip do you forget for business on the trip because you're elevated

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody really debated that. 

Really?

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't acknowledge it because the issues aren't issues. They are made up

Also:

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The question is on that business trip do you forget for business on the trip because you're elevated

You still refuse to read what anybody is saying. Nobody said the team bricked at the end exclusively because of elevation. 

I'm normally with you in these arguments but kind of seeing everybody else's side on this one. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I lived in Fort Collins, CO(alt. 5k) for 2 years and never felt any ill effects. The only thing that the altitude affected was I could get a good buzz going on 4 beers as opposed to 6. 

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I lived in Fort Collins, CO(alt. 5k) for 2 years and never felt any ill effects. The only thing that the altitude affected was I could get a good buzz going on 4 beers as opposed to 6. 

Played golf at higher altitudes and get several more yards out of the drives....but been to several cities in the 7000 foot elevation range in Mexico and Colombia and it can be noticeable but 4000 is not critical unless you want to make hard boiled eggs. 

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

After getting acclimated, no, you didn't feel any effects. But what about that first week? What did you do those first days? Also, did you drive out there? How long was the drive? Did you gradually ascend as you drove west from Kansas? 

Auburn was in Nashville on Sunday. They drove back to Auburn that night and were greeted by 15-20k people. I'm going to venture a guess that maybe they stayed up a little late. They landed in Salt Lake on Tuesday. They played a game- an NCAA D1 basketball game- on Thursday. This, after not having rested, healthy bodies to begin with.

I'm going to venture a guess that not many people on this board really have a frame of reference for that. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

After getting acclimated, no, you didn't feel any effects. But what about that first week? What did you do those first days? Also, did you drive out there? How long was the drive? Did you gradually ascend as you drove west from Kansas? 

Auburn was in Nashville on Sunday. They drove back to Auburn that night and were greeted by 15-20k people. I'm going to venture a guess that maybe they stayed up a little late. They landed in Salt Lake on Tuesday. They played a game- an NCAA D1 basketball game- on Thursday. This, after not having rested, healthy bodies to begin with.

I'm going to venture a guess that not many people on this board really have a frame of reference for that. 

25 hours of driving and moving door to door. I was tired from moving furniture back to back days, but anyone would be no matter what the altitude. After that, exploring the surroundings of my new town.

I’m not trying to discredit that they did just run through a gauntlet of games, but I’m thinking people may be leaning too hard on the altitude excuse. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

25 hours of driving and moving door to door. I was tired from moving furniture back to back days, but anyone would be no matter what the altitude. After that, exploring the surroundings of my new town.

I’m not trying to discredit that they did just run through a gauntlet of games, but I’m thinking people may be leaning too hard on the altitude excuse. 

All I see is people saying that it factored in along with everything else, and then I see people on the other side saying that it doesn't matter at all. It's sort of confusing, really. Like, why is it hard to acknowledge that a combination of things- including altitude that our opponent plays in all the time- might have compromised the team? 

I don't remember anybody arguing about it when people were talking about it before the game. Like, a LOT of people were saying ahead of time that these might be factors. Maybe I missed people arguing against that before the game, but no matter what, nobody's just making up excuses just because we played poorly. Not that you have suggested this. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

All I see is people saying that it factored in along with everything else, and then I see people on the other side saying that it doesn't matter at all. It's sort of confusing, really. Like, why is it hard to acknowledge that a combination of things- including altitude that our opponent plays in all the time- might have compromised the team? 

I don't remember anybody arguing about it when people were talking about it before the game. Like, a LOT of people were saying ahead of time that these might be factors. Maybe I missed people arguing against that before the game, but no matter what, nobody's just making up excuses just because we played poorly. Not that you have suggested this. 

I do agree that it’s likely a combination of a bunch of different factors. I just think altitude probably didn’t affect them as much as some may believe. 

Let’s hope resting yesterday after the game, some today, and most of the day tomorrow will have the guys back and ready to play to their potential for the full game. 

Archived