Baseball Miss State series

This series is going to be tough. Mississippi State is really good. They took two of three from Florida in Gainesville last week and almost swept 'em. They've beaten East Carolina and Texas Tech this season as well. Good news is, we've beaten some really good teams too. Went to UCF and took two of three from a team that has an RPI of 18. Also just swept a really good Tennessee team that has pitched extremely well this season, and have an RPI of 9 themselves. (By the way, we have the number 4 RPI in the country). 

Couple Notes:

- Miss State starters:

Ethan Small:     2-0,  1.59 ERA ,  51 Ks  ,   5BB

JT Ginn:    5-0,  2.59 ERA  ,43 Ks ,  3BB

Keegan James:   2-1  ,  2.89 ERA,   20Ks ,  10BB

Auburn Starters:

Tanner Burns: 4-0 ,  0.54 ERA  , 48Ks ,  5BB

TBA (Probably Carson Skipper: 3-0,   2.86 ERA,   25 Ks ,    5BB)

TBA (Maybe Bailey Horne :  1-0,   8.59 ERA,   3 Ks     3BB)

Miss State Lineup:

They have Jake Mangum again which is really annoying. The guy is batting .406 with just under 100 at-bats. Justin Foscue, Elijah MacNamee, and Tanner Allen, and Dustin Skelton are their big time power threats with 16 HRs between the four of them.

They're hitting .313 and slugging .483 as a team. For context, Auburn is hitting .272 and slugging right at .400. Granted, Auburn is not a power-house offensive team (yet) but Miss State is second in the SEC in batting average (Vanderbilt .314) and slugging percentage (South Carolina .504...... this number is insane). 

Overview:

Fortunately, I don't think they've faced as good of a bullpen as ours. We lead the SEC in ERA, and at 2.11, we are the lowest ERA they will have faced this season. 

On our side of the bats, we've obviously got more than capable hitters, but Miss State's pitching staff is certainly not one to ignore. They boast a 2.32 ERA and strike out more batters than anyone in the SEC. They can get a little wild at times though, as they are second in the SEC in wild pitches, and third in hit batters. Interestingly, they actually give up the least amount of walks in the SEC, so it seems like they'll throw a few bad pitches, but come right back at you. Tigers need to lay off the crap, and be ready to hit on the next pitch. Don't know if I'd be willing to take a lot of close pitches if I were Auburn this weekend. Home crowd will have the umps juiced up to ring some batters up, and Miss State is too good to let you on base without a good pitch or two. 

One win in this series is a good weekend. If we can get an all-star performance from Burns (which is always a possibility when he's throwing) and pick up the first one, we'll be playing with house money the rest of the weekend. Mangum is gonna get on. Gotta limit the rest of their lineup from big hits. On our side, we've got to be ready to swing em, because I don't think we'll get a ton of free bases. I expect us to compete as we look like a really good team too. Need the bullpen to play well as we'll be without Jack Owen and Davis Daniel, but if we can do that, this should be a really great weekend of competitive baseball. 

0 wins = Crap, but not the end of the world

1 win = good

2 wins = great

3 wins = Omaha favorites

MacNamee tore through our pitchers during last season's series.  I wish he'd graduate or do MLB or something....lol.

Worried about our young pitchers. But hey it's baseball and anything can happen. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball Miss State series

Archived