Fatigue is a concern for AU

toddc

serious concern for Auburn against Kansas

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

SALT LAKE CITY — Bruce Pearl joked Thursday his heart stopped beating in the final moments of a near-meltdown in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Now the coach just hopes the blood is flowing for his Auburn players heading into the second round against No. 4 seed Kansas.

“Look, five games in eight days. That’s a lot,” Pearl said. “I think it showed. We had only so much effort and energy, we weren’t very good defensively and I think a lot of it had to do with fatigue. And a lot of it had to do with their quickness, and so on and so forth, but they beat us to 50-50 balls, they out-rebounded us. This is a long afternoon today, getting that early game out of the way and a full day’s rest tomorrow, I can tell you right now they will not be on their feet much before Saturday. A lot of film, not much walkthrough.”

Auburn (27-9) led by as many as 13 against New Mexico State, but faltered in the final minutes as the Tigers committed five turnovers in the final three minutes and watched an eight-point lead dwindle to one point twice. New Mexico State, however, could not hit two of three free throws or a 3-pointer in the final seconds to upset the No. 5 seed Tigers. Auburn won 78-77.

What is concerning for the Tigers is just how lackadaisical they looked on defense in the second half. The Tigers allowed 48 points and the Aggies hit 58.3 percent of their shots in the second half. New Mexico State’s guards blew past Auburn’s defense, leaving the Tigers on their heels.

Auburn entered the tournament with one of the shorter turnarounds of the Power 5 teams after winning the SEC Tournament on Sunday. The Tigers won four straight games in as many days to win in Nashville traveling back to Auburn that night and later across the country Tuesday morning to Salt Lake City. The Tigers’ 11:30 a.m. tipoff here Thursday was the third game on the first full day of the NCAA Tournament. The quick turnaround, along with only one day away from the court before a five-hour flight to Salt Lake City and practices Tuesday and Wednesday in the high altitude, proved to be an issue late against the Aggies.

“They’re popped,” Pearl said, “and that had a lot to do with the fact we could not get a stop, and we couldn’t close out the win.”

The good news for Auburn arrived late Thursday night, when most player were or should have been in bed. The Tigers will play the final game of the day Saturday at 8:40 p.m. CT, giving them roughly eight more hours of rest than some expected.

Center Austin Wiley played in his fourth straight game Thursday after missing 11 games with a lower-leg injury. His minutes increased again against the Aggies as he played nearly 11 minutes while scoring 4 points and grabbing 2 rebounds. He said he could see his teammates tiring as the game progressed Thursday.

“A little bit,” he said. “We know how to push through it. That goes back to preseason training, just working out throughout the season. We’re ready for it. We’re built for it.”

Pearl spoke to his two top guards, Jared Harper and Bryce Brown, in the locker room as teammates loaded their belongings into bags and headed out the door for the team bus. He told Harper, who led the way with 17 points but also fouled out for the first time this season, to drink plenty of milk.

He’s also not joking about keeping the players off their feet. There will be a light walkthrough and more film study than usual Friday. Wing man Samir Doughtymentioned the most tired players on the team are those two leaders: Brown and Harper. They led the team in minutes, with both playing more than 30 against the Aggies. Brown struggled shooting, missing his first six 3-pointers before hitting two in the second half.

Harper, the unquestioned leader of the team, was one of the final players to leave the locker room Thursday. Both knees were heavily wrapped in ice. He hobbled out the door, reached to his left and grabbed a drink.

"You want a sandwich?" an Auburn staffer asked.

Harper did not turn around. He saved his strength for the walk to the bus.

I hoped this would stop the argument as to whether fatigue and altitude had a effect on our players at the end of the first game! Not an excuse, but definitely a factor.

Another argument in the case of Saturday vs Sunday championship day for the SEC tournament. The switch to Saturday needs to happen next season if possible. 

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@Tiger

Did you watch the game?

Yup I did. 

Not trying to ignite another discussion of whether they're valid reasons or not but I am a believer if you're physically fatigued it certainly can affect one's mental sharpness at the very least. No, it's not going to make you dribble out of bounds but some of the brain farts, like Mac not boxing his guy out on the last FT attempt of the game for example can be attributed to both physical and mental fatigue in my personal opinion.

Also, the moment itself can cause some people to have a mental lapse (see JR Smith... Or the NMSU guy kicking out for 3 instead of going for an open layup/drawing a foul) and when we aren't a program that truly has "been there before" outside of 1 season when the pressure is on we just have to work through it. It sucks that we don't have any freshman on the team to take some of these experiences moving forward IMO

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yup I did. 

Not trying to ignite another discussion of whether they're valid reasons or not but I am a believer if you're physically fatigued it certainly can affect one's mental sharpness at the very least. No, it's not going to make you dribble out of bounds but some of the brain farts, like Mac not boxing his guy out on the last FT attempt of the game for example can be attributed to both physical and mental fatigue in my personal opinion.

Also, the moment itself can cause some people to have a mental lapse (see JR Smith... Or the NMSU guy kicking out for 3 instead of going for an open layup/drawing a foul) and when we aren't a program that truly has "been there before" outside of 1 season when the pressure is on we just have to work through it. It sucks that we don't have any freshman on the team to take some of these experiences moving forward IMO

You feel like anything is on Bruce? I feel like a good coach will go over the more important things during timeout. I always made it a point to tell my big men to box out at the end of games. I'd actually make everybody call out names. I feel like the assistants all should have a few things to say. And lastly I feel like Bryce and Harper should be the last people making the mistakes

You can't get accolades and titles then get passes IMO. It's your team then take owner ship. If you're the man be the man but if you're not him in the pressure situations you don't need the shine.....these are convos I would have with my cousin. I remember when I played one time his grand dad fussed at me because his dad missed a lady up😂

I said why you yellingat me he said you knew he wasn't going to make it! True story

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

we aren't a program that truly has "been there before" outside of 1 season

Such a big factor for any team, no matter the sport. 

I was saying prior to the SEC tourney that I was concerned about this, and here we are. If we can beat Kansas we can rest. Have to be mentally tough and suck it up, nothing else to do at this point. 

I would love the SEC tourney to adapt the schedule that the ACC uses. Start the games one day earlier and have the final on Saturday night. I'm sure the NCAA selection committee would also appreciate it.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I hoped this would stop the argument as to whether fatigue and altitude had a effect on our players at the end of the first game! Not an excuse, but definitely a factor.

It's definitely a factor. Anyone who says that it isn't is just.....not very well informed.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You feel like anything is on Bruce? I feel like a good coach will go over the more important things during timeout. I always made it a point to tell my big men to box out at the end of games. I'd actually make everybody call out names. I feel like the assistants all should have a few things to say. And lastly I feel like Bryce and Harper should be the last people making the mistakes

You can't get accolades and titles then get passes IMO. It's your team then take owner ship. If you're the man be the man but if you're not him in the pressure situations you don't need the shine.....these are convos I would have with my cousin. I remember when I played one time his grand dad fussed at me because his dad missed a lady up😂

I said why you yellingat me he said you knew he wasn't going to make it! True story

I actually do put a lot of it on Bruce in addition to all the other things. He is yelling the correct instructions like fouling to prevent 3 etc BUT this was one of Bruce's worst games as a coach at AU - - or last few minutes at minimum. Why were our poor FT shooters in the game at a crucial point? Bruce can't get mad at Chuma for passing to Horace when he's the only guy open when NMSU is pressing. Horace shouldn't have even been in the damn game. Additionally, Bruce reallllly botched our front court rotation yesterday. Horace and Mac gave us essentially nothing yesterday while Wiley had a chance to eat and was being pretty productive in his limited minutes. 

I always see during the mic'd up segments Bruce is telling the guys the right things but man that gym must have been smelling terrible last night because we were brain farting up a storm. 

But we had 2 vets make some of the worst decisions of their careers yesterday. Bryce fouling the shooter and then Harper making 2 asinine mistakes in one play where he fouled with 14 sec left but also burned his fifth foul! I mean C'MON!!!! I do think this was related to fatigue and pressure in some way, those guys don't usually make THAT bad of a mistakes even in games where we don't close as well as we would like. 

I love Bruce (favorite AU coach of mine in any sport) but yesterday was not his finest moment. I think the players and coaches together screwed up the last 3 mins. And Bruce actually told the team that they bailed him out after the game if I'm not mistaken. I do like that. Extremely happy we get to keep playing despite ourselves yesterday.

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I was saying prior to the SEC tourney that I was concerned about this, and here we are. If we can beat Kansas we can rest. Have to be mentally tough and suck it up, nothing else to do at this point. 

I said it middle of the year specifically about Harper. Of course that was an argument, said we have to get mentally tough because saying things like we traveled from here or had classes that day won't be viable especially when we literally got specifically right here at this point.....that was anargument too....and like you say here we are.....all the things everybody complain about in threads like refs and whatever; all the things like shooting a bunch of jump shots or throwing it to the post all that stuff was just for a chance to get here right now. No excuses can save you, nobody cares, have to go out there and perform

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I said it middle of the year specifically about Harper. Of course that was an argument, said we have to get mentally tough because saying things like we traveled from here or had classes that day won't be viable especially when we literally got specifically right here at this point.....that was anargument too....and like you say here we are.....all the things everybody complain about in threads like refs and whatever; all the things like shooting a bunch of jump shots or throwing it to the post all that stuff was just for a chance to get here right now. No excuses can save you, nobody cares, have to go out there and perform

I recall our conversations about mental toughness, I believe I agreed with you then. Also lobbied for McCormick to get more minutes as we got into the SEC schedule. I always enjoy your input and debate.

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually do put a lot of it on Bruce in addition to all the other things. He is yelling the correct instructions like fouling to prevent 3 etc BUT this was one of Bruce's worst games as a coach at AU - - or last few minutes at minimum. Why were our poor FT shooters in the game at a crucial point? Bruce can't get mad at Chuma for passing to Horace when he's the only guy open when NMSU is pressing. Horace shouldn't have even been in the damn game. Additionally, Bruce reallllly botched our front court rotation yesterday. Horace and Mac gave us essentially nothing yesterday while Wiley had a chance to eat and was being pretty productive in his limited minutes. 

I always see during the mic'd up segments Bruce is telling the guys the right things but man that gym must have been smelling terrible last night because we were brain farting up a storm. 

But we had 2 vets make some of the worst decisions of their careers yesterday. Bryce fouling the shooter and then Harper making 2 asinine mistakes in one play where he fouled with 14 sec left but also burned his fifth foul! I mean C'MON!!!! I do think this was related to fatigue and pressure in some way, those guys don't usually make THAT bad of a mistakes even in games where we don't close as well as we would like. 

I love Bruce (favorite AU coach of mine in any sport) but yesterday was not his finest moment. I think the players and coaches together screwed up the last 3 mins. And Bruce actually told the team that they bailed him out after the game if I'm not mistaken. I do like that. Extremely happy we get to keep playing despite ourselves yesterday.

I agree with much of that. I personally think he blew our guards up a little bit which is perfectly fine as you need to sell your program, I hope he doesn't believe all of that hype and forget to coach these guys as far as directing them as they may be more scared and can get the deer in headlights effect if caught at the wrong time

2 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I recall our conversations about mental toughness, I believe I agreed with you then. Also lobbied for McCormick to get more minutes as we got into the SEC schedule. I always enjoy your input and debate.

You were right and I was wrong about McCormick. I waited but I just about gave up on him. I knew we needed a back up in the worst way though. I wish Bruce would've played the bench a little more than he did

Agree wiley needed more minutes.  I harped on it during the game.  But ... it assume they are still building his minutes and we kept a fairly comfortable lead most of the game until the last couple minutes ... when we needed FT shooters in the game

I can imagine a lot of teams that are still in the tournament are battling fatigue.

4 in 4 was odd but I guess next time we need to earn a double bye in the SECc.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

actually do put a lot of it on Bruce in addition to all the other things. He is yelling the correct instructions like fouling to prevent 3 etc BUT this was one of Bruce's worst games as a coach at AU - - or last few minutes at minimum. Why were our poor FT shooters in the game at a crucial point? Bruce can't get mad at Chuma for passing to Horace when he's the only guy open when NMSU is pressing. Horace shouldn't have even been in the damn game.

Think he was battling rebounding and FT problems at the same time. 

And I WILL STOP YOU RIGHT HERE 😇

Horace has stopped the bleeding for us many times in a lot of ways. Maybe he should’ve been the one to inbound the ball. But I think it was okay that he was in the game.

Archived