Softball vs. Mississippi State Game 1

Auburn currently leads 4-3 in bottom 3.  Mia Davidson just homered for MSU with a runner on - Swindle coming in to relieve Handley.

Auburn scored on solo homers by TanSnow and McCrackin; Perry had an RBI triple, and Podany an RBI bunt.

I take issue with Dean's game management here.  Davidson is hitting .529 and an absolute beast at the plate.  With a runner on second and first base open, I walk Davidson.

Edit:  Miss. St. has now scored six in bot 3, Swindle finally gets the last two outs.  MSU leads 7-4.  Maresette, Perry, Greenwood due up.

Maresette singled, but Perry hit into a dp, and Greenwood flied out.  Still 7-4 going to bot 4.

MSU is retired uneventfully, but so is Auburn.  Going to bot 5 at 7-4 MSU.  Rivera, TAnSnow, and Veach will be due up for Auburn in top 6.

Auburn gets two to pull within one.  Rivera grounds out, but Tannon singles and Veach homers.  Maresette grounds out, but Perry walks, and Greenwood doubles.  Runners on 2d and 3d w/ 2 out for Godwin, pinch hitting for Podany, but Godwin pops to short.  Going to bot 6 it's MSU 7, Auburn 6.

FINAL:  Miss. St. 7, Auburn 6  Our top 3 go out quickly in top 7.

Editorial Comment:  Please get us the LiveStats program that MSU has.  Way better than what we have.

Agree - I thought Harris would be the starter.  For Live Stats, I went to MSU's schedule and clicked on their LiveStats link.  I've done that before with other teams.  It's not available right now, since the game has been over for a while.

I also thought Handley got a rather quick hook, but maybe the back was acting up.

This one hurt. Up 4-1 I was feeling really confident. This is where Martin will be most missed. Shutting the door on teams when we have a lead.

With none out, up 4-1 fairly early in the game, you have to pitch to her even if she's having an insane year.

The pitching decisions are definitely questionable, one defense though is that Harris is a fly ball pitcher and the ball appears to have been carrying (slight wind blowing out, WNW 2 MPH).

I wouldn't have intentionally walked her but I would have tried to get her to chase a couple down and in, down and out or offspeed.  If she walks, it's ok. 

I think she's the type that's fine taking walks, and Handley's command isn't the best, so I don't like the nibble strategy that much either. Go at her, she'll hit some bombs but she'll also get herself out  a lot too. You have Fa Leilua on deck who is very good, and then the 3-4-5 sticks, who are definitely big steps down but not totally incompetent.

Miss. St. pitching is not elite, but it is unpredictable with 5 pitchers, each of whom have started 3+ games. Their innings leader Emily Williams has only one appearance since Mar 10, an ugly 0.1 IP, 3 ER on Mar 16 against Kentucky. They have two good freshman in Grace Fagan (no relation I don't think) and Kayla Boseman, and junior Candace Denis. I would think Williams would pitch if she's not injured, but any of the the non-Loza four are realistic possibilities.

https://static.hailstate.com/custompages/stats/SB/2019/teamcume.htm

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/430/stats?id=14800&year_stat_category_id=14661

• WarTiger changed the title to Softball vs. Mississippi State Game 1

Archived