Softball vs. Mississippi State game 2

AU leaves one runner stranded in top of first

MSU loaded the based in the bottom of the first but Harris wiggled off the hook with an infield grounder to close out the inning and leave 3 runners on base.

No score going to the second inning.

a

AU with another runner left on base but unable to score in the top of 3rd .....so still no score....

Harris had a good second inning …..in order.

Pitching in the bottom of 3rd....

Double down 3rd with one out.

Podany tracks one down to deep center to save possible run and keeps runner from advancing to 3rd

Bouncer through the infield scores a run and the batter  is tagged out when she stumbles rounding  over the base....

MSU up 1-0..

Snow singles with one out..., pinch runner comes in....several pitches later AU falls victim to strike out and thrown out on the attempted steal....DP to end the inning. 

Bottom of 4th and AU still down 1-0

MSU gets a runner on in the bottom of 4th but she is stranded with two fly balls to the outfield....and score remains 1-0

AU unable to get a clutch hit...leaves 2 on base courtesy of some loose play by MSU but could not get them in...score remains 1-0

bottom of the 5th.....game moving right along 

Harris pitching well

Auburn scores on a MSU miss play to tie the game.....top of 6th and it's 1-1

Veach hit by a batted ball for final out in the 6th.

Going to top of 7th tied at 1-1

Excellent game by Harris today......hope the team can win it for her right here.......

No success for AU in top of 7th...

MSU coming to bat in bottom of the inning....game still tied at 1-1

Harris in the circle trying to protect the game.... 

MSU with a bleeder for a single to open the inning....and pinch runner goes in.

Line single to right and 2 runners on and no outs...

Harris gets out of the mess....fly balls to the outfield and MSU leaves 2 on base..

So....on to the 8th

Snow lead's off and McCrackin walks....two on and nobody out...

Note that AU has had 3 runners thrown out at second......not looking like that is a good plan today.

Rivera sac bunt to move both runners to scoring position for Tan Snow

Snow hit by pitch to load the bases....

Veach a the plate...Sac fly to right and AU takes the lead...2-1

Maresette with a double to bring in two more runs...AU up now 4-1. 

Perry with a single to bring in another run...now 5-1 

Another hit and another run....batted around mostly after two outs.....and score is now 7-1 and Ta Snow at bat..

Well, looks like the thread died out.  Good job by the girls to play tight defense and keep the game close.  Game-saving play by Rivera to score from second on that infield single by Veach.  Evidently both starting pitchers' warranty expired after 7 innings.  Dean changed pitchers in time, and Studemann didn't.  So proud to see that solid hit from Taylon, she was 0 for a lot.  Want to mention Greenwood and Maresette, who had important hits in that 8th.  You really can't overlook anyone in our lineup.

Great great bounce back ladies!!! Lets get the series win tomorrow. WAR EAGLE!

I guess we are flip flopping with the baseball team.  Maybe both take the series tomorrow. 

About a month ago I began considering going over to Starkville for the Friday and Saturday SB games Driving distance from Bham about the same as going down to AU and no problems getting tickets since free admission to softball games. I thought it might be fun to get an inside look at Nusz Stadium and attend an away game. Initially looked into a motel in Starkville and seemed to be adequate choices available but beginning about 2 weeks ago they were full and I got a room in Columbus about 22 miles away. By this week I noticed they were sold out also. Found out later the AU team was at another motel in Columbus. The area was filled up because of multiple sporting events which included baseball, softball, track, and basketball that I know of. We ended up parking about a 20 - 30 minute walk from Nusz Stadium. The stadium is nice with chairbacks numbering 1,000. They pipe in a lot of excessive loud music and audio which was irritating. I mean it is really loud. The pregame introduction is drawn out compared to what I am used to at Auburn. During the Friday game went to concession stand and found about 15 people ahead of me. Understaffed and very slow. I gave up after about 10 minutes as had barely moved. I know it sounds like I am bitching but just some observations. During the Saturday game it seemed there were fans who were going to attend the baseball game (started at 2 pm) who come into the SB game to sit in the shade and then went over to baseball. Compared to Auburn home games I would say their fan base is sedate. They definitely don't have out Auburn hard hat cheer guy. During our 8th inning rally there were some AU fans who started some Auburn cheers and others joined in. We let our presence be known. In the past I know coach Vann Stuedeman has been coaching from 3rd base on offence. She was in the dugout during the game and rarely came on to the field. After the game the MS team would do a "cheer" to the fans and then immediately go up into the stadium to meet with family and friends. I estimated attendance at both games to be 1/3-1/2 full and was reported Sat. as 476. They have a pretty good contingent who gather around the outfield. After they score or hit a homerun someone would run around and throw a t-shirt into the stadium. Pretty sure many saw the terrible call on the attempted bunt (I think 7th inning). From my vantage point behind home plate the home plate umpire clearly should have been able to make the strike call. When he appealed to the 3rd base umpire it was like someone had to wake him up and then he signaled "no swing". Also thought they had a ball foul down 3rd base line that was called fair. I could not tell for sure on replay when I got home last night. CMD came out of the dugout on both occasions. Feel I should give the game ball to my wife. Walking back to the car in the dark Friday night I attempted to go around some slow walkers and she got her foot hung up on some uneven pavement and did a face plant skinning up both hands and knees. Next morning she was fairly bruised and I offered to just drive home and we could watch the game in our recliners and not have to walk to and from the stadium. She would have nothing to do with it and wanted to cheer for the Tigers and that's what we did. "Mama knows best". Got home in plenty of time to watch the BB game which made for a very good day. Pitching should be interesting today......look for a committee effort.

Great writeup, slot.  Never been to a game at Starkvegas,   this is great information.  Thanks for taking the time!    Always appreciate your posts on AU softball!

Auburn hard hat cheer guy

Mr Cooper is our legend   :)        GO TIGERS

WDE ladies!!!!!

• WarTiger changed the title to Softball vs. Mississippi State game 2

Thanks for your observations, Slot and hope the Mrs. is recovering well from her injury.  I still have never made it to an Auburn softball game.  Had tickets two years ago when we were going to play UT in Columbia (50 miles away), but a cold front came through and the game was cancelled due to the cold.

Had the pleasure of watching our 9-0 run rule win over MSU today.  MSU started Fagan and she walked Snow and McCrackin, then Tan and Rivera both had RBI hits.  With two runs in and Veach coming up, Studemann changed pitchers to Loza.  Veach hit the first pitch over the centerfield wall for 5-0 Auburn.  Got 4 more in the third - Greenwood had another nice double today.  Swindle started and went the distance.   Baserunners got on, but between Swindle and the defense we held the shutout.  Tannon made two errors almost back-to-back in one inning that helped create a bases loaded situation, but then fixed it with a 5-3 DP to end the inning.

Veach really stroking the ball today.  In addition to the dinger, she had a double in the 4th and also hit a shot to LC that the CF made a running, overhead catch on near the wall.

I did not see the play on which Taylon was injured, trying to get some chores done between innings.   Anyone have details on what happened?

Archived