2019 Spring Practice Updates

AUght2win

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Been awfully quiet regarding the first week of spring. Which is understandable. But what are y'all hearing? Anybody been able to attend a practice yet?

Read this earlier...

Quarterback race heating up for Auburn in spring practice

By Jason Caldwell

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:02 pm ET • 2 min read

Gus Malzahn talks to the QB's at a recent spring practice (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama—With one week of spring practice in the books Coach Gus Malzahnand the Auburn Tigers continue to rotate quarterbacks Malik Willis, Joey Gatewood, Cord Sandberg and Bo Nix as they head towards the first scrimmage next Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. With Willis, Gatewood and Nix splitting reps with the first unit during team drills on Saturday, Malzahn said they’re continuing to move forward with the competition.

“From a talent standpoint, I think all four of the guys care capable of running the offense,” Malzahn said on Saturday. “Now, I’m not ready to say at what level and all that, but I think all four after one week, you can tell has some skills to be successful running the offense. They’re all a little bit different, which I think is a good thing. Once we narrow it down and actually pick a guy, we’ll build it around his strengths.”

One of the players that has continued to take strides forward with his play since arriving on campus last year is Gatewood. Sharper in his passing and showing the ability to make plays with his legs, the redshirt freshman has performed well to this point.

“First of all, you can tell he’s not a freshman anymore,” Malzahn said of Gatewood. “I’d say all the guys, Malik included too, when you have a high-profile guy established like Jarrett (Stidham) and he moves on, I think a lot of times it gives people new life. You’ve seen that with Joey. He’s competing hard for the starting job. His approach has been completely different than it was last year, which is to be expected, especially being a freshman.”

Needing to see some separation to help narrow things down at the position, Malzahn has talked about the potential of making the quarterbacks live in a scrimmage setting in the spring. Still deciding on if that will happen or not, Malzahn said it’s all about making sure everyone around them is up to speed and ready to go as well.

“I just wanted to make sure that up front, specifically with our twos, that we're sound enough and in a good enough spot to do that,” Malzahn said. “So it's still a possibility. It could be next week or the week after.”

With practices on Monday, Wednesday and Friday before the first scrimmage on Saturday, Malzahn said he just wants to see more development out of his team as they continue to get important reps in practice.

“We just need more plays offensively and defensively, 11-on-11, playing football,” Malzahn said “Probably more for our quarterbacks than anyone else, but it's also great for the rest of our group. I think it'll have a chance to give a good foundation, especially for our twos, when we do scrimmage. When we rotate two quarterbacks, everybody can't go with orange. You want to make sure that you have the execution part offensively.”

45 minutes ago, gr82be said:

when you have a high-profile guy established like Jarrett (Stidham) and he moves on, I think a lot of times it gives people new life. You’ve seen that with Joey.

good point....big difference between going through the routine of practice to be the third back-up....and actually competing for the starting job....

23 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t remember a week of spring practice this quiet since the internet was invented. 

Me either. I was beginning to wonder if they cancelled it.

20 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Me either. I was beginning to wonder if they cancelled it.

That's what having a team at the Big Dance will do to everyone's point of focus.....and provides some evidence that AU is not just a football school if there is something more significant happening.  

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's what having a team at the Big Dance will do to everyone's point of focus.....and provides some evidence that AU is not just a football school if there is something more significant happening.  

You are probably correct but we can multitask.

1 minute ago, alexava said:

It's march. There's nothing to talk about when it comes to football. All they're doing is practicing and some guys are running track. That's it

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

True….and I'm trying to watch basketball, baseball and softball  where scores are kept and wins or losses mean something..      So ...and this is just me....it is hard to get cranked up about PRACTICE when nobody knows what's going on anyway.....thus will keep an eye on BP's guys until there is no more reason to do that.  WE..          

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True….and I'm trying to watch basketball, baseball and softball  where scores are kept and wins or losses mean something..      So ...and this is just me....it is hard to get cranked up about PRACTICE when nobody knows what's going on anyway.....thus will keep an eye on BP's guys until there is no more reason to do that.  WE..          

Practice? We talking about practice? ....Iverson

I’ll be interested to hear about the scrimmage in a week if Gus does indeed let the Qbs go live.  Let’s see how they do against a top defensive line crashing down.  That should go a long way toward figuring out the Qb race.

The football program is the money maker but it’s hard to get too invested until they start giving legitimate reasons to believe in them again 

every other sport is giving you sustained success year in and year out, so I’m glad they’re getting their shine 

16 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t remember a week of spring practice this quiet since the internet was invented. 

This is what happens when your basketball team is on a roll, winning the SECT, winning 10 in a row, going to the Sweet 16.

We just haven't had that in about 16 years. lol. So all those other years, we turned to spring football to satisfy our cravings.

But trust me, it will change soon, as practice heats up leading up to A-Day, and especially when they have a full scrimmage next weekend, with the Jo and Bo competition continues.....

Gentlemen, thanks for the in depth analysis about how basketball is also happening. Wouldn't have known otherwise.

But can we get back to the topic at hand?

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep.  We're a Basketball school now. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gentlemen, thanks for the in depth analysis about how basketball is also happening. Wouldn't have known otherwise.

But can we get back to the topic at hand?

I think that is your answer.  Since we are excelling in basketball, all of our news outlets have been focusing on that

5 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Yep.  We're a Basketball school now. 

And equestrian, and possibly baseball.  Gymnastics not too shabby either.

20 hours ago, tigerchris said:

Spring football has been boring since Wade Christopher graduated.

Even though he has lifetime eligibility that he granted himself. He has graciously taken pity on college football and just decided to retire to hold up the Earth. 

1 hour ago, api1957 said:

Even though he has lifetime eligibility that he granted himself. He has graciously taken pity on college football and just decided to retire to hold up the Earth. 

I hear they're gonna rename those books full of maps after him.

16 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I hear they're gonna rename those books full of maps after him.

He's gonna roll the royalties over to his victims gofundme accounts.

Archived