2019 Spring Practice Updates

AUght2win

as far as who is listed as first,etc is it not possible malik will remain number one until the qb race is over because of seniority? because brandon the beard has said it is a two way race between joey and bo. he said it on finebaum so there is no link.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DAG said:

I do believe you are speaking of one Mr. Tyler Russell.

thanks....I could not remember his replacement to save my life.

Well, won't the Aday game give us a clear picture of Number 1 and Number 2 QB? In 24 hours we will know the pecking order

17 minutes ago, shabby said:

Well, won't the Aday game give us a clear picture of Number 1 and Number 2 QB? In 24 hours we will know the pecking order

Image result for pecking order

16 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I agree with everything else you said, but the statement in bold is just plain ridiculous.   Only sounds like something one of the Gus pumpers would say, not anyone who pays attention to football.

I’m struggling to see what exactly was incorrect about 64s comment?

It isn’t that uncommon, it isn’t an issue limited to just Gus, and it certainly doesn’t mean you cannot be successful in doing so. That being said, in our experience, rotating bodies at QB hasn’t been a great sign. 

2 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I’m struggling to see what exactly was incorrect about 64s comment?

It isn’t that uncommon, it isn’t an issue limited to just Gus, and it certainly doesn’t mean you cannot be successful in doing so. That being said, in our experience, rotating bodies at QB hasn’t been a great sign. 

Using multiple qbs to start the season because you do not know who your starter is, is not common place in football.   The NFL does not do this.  Almost every team names a starter at QB,  Gus included.   It very seldom happens and most of the time when it does it is a package in the lines of a Tebow thing, not determining who the starter is.  Hopefuly that helps.

40 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Using multiple qbs to start the season because you do not know who your starter is, is not common place in football.   The NFL does not do this.  Almost every team names a starter at QB,  Gus included.   It very seldom happens and most of the time when it does it is a package in the lines of a Tebow thing, not determining who the starter is.  Hopefuly that helps.

I guess I interpreted it differently. I was operating under the assumption that 64 was more so saying that you can have a starter and not be 100% settled on them (short leash if you will). 

Now, if 64 was intact saying that it’s common to not have a starter period and playing hot hand QB, then yeah, I agree it would be redicilous. 

I personally think we’re going to see Gatewood and a quick action plan B if things start to fall to pieces like JJ had against Louisville. 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:48 AM, AUFriction said:

Malik Willis got the first rep with the first-team offensive line, while Joey Gatewood got the first snap with the second-team unit. Bo Nix alternated with Willis, while Cord Sandberg rotated with Gatewood on the second team.”

To me, this sounds like Willis is number 1 right now and Cord is number 4, with the other two falling in between. That’s not to say Willis will win the job, but, from this, I don’t see how anyone can say he’s not showing at least equivalent talent to Bo and Joey.

Most of the reports have hinted that Joey is the guy, followed by Bo. Gus is probably to see if anything clicks with Willis and the 1st team, but most articles have praised Gatewood, and he's been with the first team the majority of the spring.

My personal guess is Gatewood starts. Gus wants to keep his job and will use Gatewood's size and feet quite a bit this year. Joey has a year of playbook experience under his belt as well.

I think it will narrow down to Gatewood and Nix at the end of Spring, but will be a whole new competition between them in fall practice.

I could see us playing both a fair amount in the early games.

Ultimately I think it will come down to which QB makes the fewer number of mistakes (interceptions, fumbles, incorrect reads, etc.), rather than particular skill.

This is strictly guessing and probably wishful thinking, but I think in will probably be Joey running an offense that looks closer to 2013 than 2018. Gus had had 4 seasons to figure out that his offense works best when there is a QB that is a legitimate threat to run. Joey is big, can run around you/through you, and can make the big throws. 

For some reason I feel really good about our situation. I'm expecting a slower start (not necessarily losses, just not pretty), but hoping things are clicking by mid season. 

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

Ultimately I think it will come down to which QB makes the fewer number of mistakes (interceptions, fumbles, incorrect reads, etc.), rather than particular skill.

You are correct because Gus plays "not to lose" vs. "playing to win", most of the time. (i.e. when he's comfortable and not about to be fired)  I think his choice at QB will pretty much tell us how he plans on coaching this season.

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

You are correct because Gus plays "not to lose" vs. "playing to win", most of the time. (i.e. when he's comfortable and not about to be fired)  I think his choice at QB will pretty much tell us how he plans on coaching this season.

That makes no sense....

23 hours ago, shabby said:

I don't think there will be a clear picture of anything after A Day.  There is not much that can be gleaned from having 1s scrimmage against the 2s.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

That makes no sense....

Hopefully this is more clear.  Old Gus will choose to start the QB with the highest floor.  If he's coaching for his job, he'll choose the QB with the highest ceiling.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, BigWhiskey91 said:

I guess I interpreted it differently. I was operating under the assumption that 64 was more so saying that you can have a starter and not be 100% settled on them (short leash if you will). 

Now, if 64 was intact saying that it’s common to not have a starter period and playing hot hand QB, then yeah, I agree it would be redicilous. 

I personally think we’re going to see Gatewood and a quick action plan B if things start to fall to pieces like JJ had against Louisville. 

I agree with this assumption.

I am more pleased now that Gatewood is right up there, possibly fighting for 1A or 1B. That means, I think that his passing is improving, which the QB Malzahn selects has to run the Read/Option well, but also be effective passing.

I think this is going to be more like the 2010 year, where Cam, who was still developing his comfort zone and his passing game, so at first we ran the ball more with him, and threw very little. As he handled the offense better over the next few games, he got to pass it more, to help us become more of a dual offensive team running and passing effectively.

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Looks like I’m the only one excited for the spring game. 

War eagle anyways! 

I thought it was next Saturday.🤦‍♂️

Here is the only update that matters: Joey G and Bo really good. Malik and Cord? EH a bunch of MEH going on with them. 

On 4/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Looks like I’m the only one excited for the spring game. 

War eagle anyways! 

No you are not!! I am also and I am old and I know stuff. I am really tired of the negative "Nancies" on here that the only sport on here is Gus bashing. Gus is way ahead of the midget across the state in coaching success for the time has been a head coach.  Granted he as made mistakes  but who the hell hasn't. God save us from all the "experts" on here that think they know more than people that coach for a living. I've had a few glasses of wine so I guess  I am just venting . I am just tired of all the negativity I see on here. Ok, I'm gone. Bash away!!

WDE till I die which probably isn't that far off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 8:10 AM, AU64 said:

That makes no sense....

I agree with the sentiment, but I believe it applies to most coaches, not just CGM. When a new coach comes in, he has nothing to lose. After a few years, he has everything to lose. They usually become conservative, and the risk level tends to drop. If the pressure increases, some coaches will try to move back to a higher risk/reward.

31 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I believe it applies to most coaches, not just CGM. When a new coach comes in, he has nothing to lose. After a few years, he has everything to lose. They usually become conservative, and the risk level tends to drop. If the pressure increases, some coaches will try to move back to a higher risk/reward.

That’s life in general, not just football or sports. It’s human nature.

Archived