Now Trump Wants To Eliminate the ACA - All of It

homersapien

While it would cause a lot of people a lot of grief, it sure as hell would hand the Democrats a good campaign issue for 2020. 

Maybe even give them the senate as well as the presidency?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-administration-pre-existing-conditions-court_n_5c999b91e4b0d42ce360169c

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

While it would cause a lot of people a lot of grief, it sure as hell would hand the Democrats a good campaign issue for 2020. 

Maybe even give them the senate as well as the presidency?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-administration-pre-existing-conditions-court_n_5c999b91e4b0d42ce360169c

...with nothing to replace it with that's better.  Lovely.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

...with nothing to replace it with that's better.  Lovely.

You have to repeal it before you can see the new plan...

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You have to repeal it before you can see the new plan...

And I am sure it will be better in all ways.  Cheaper too.

Trump couldn't even sit in the meetings discussing their replacement.  Too much detail for him to maintain attention.

6 promises Trump has made about health care

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-obamacare-promises-236021

18 Confusing Things Donald Trump Has Said About Health Care

What does the president really understand about one of his biggest campaign promises?

What do you mean "NOW"...that was a major issue he ran on and won the election with.....and you are surprised?   :no: where you been for the last 3 years?  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

What do you mean "NOW"...that was a major issue he ran on and won the election with.....and you are surprised?   :no: where you been for the last 3 years?  

False.  There are parts of the ACA he explicitly campaigned on keeping.  Allowing people to stay on parents plans until 26 and covering pre-existing conditions are prime examples.

A complete repeal negates those.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

False.  There are parts of the ACA he explicitly campaigned on keeping.  Allowing people to stay on parents plans until 26 and covering pre-existing conditions are prime examples.

A complete repeal negates those.

They can be added in to whatever ends up replacing it.....but repeal and replace was the campaign....

Just now, AU64 said:

They can be added in to whatever ends up replacing it.....but repeal and replace was the campaign....

And that failed miserably already.  The Republican controlled Senate, only needing 50 votes, couldn't make it happen.  It has no chance of happening now with a Democratic House.  So yes, this would be a straight repeal if the administration wins in court.

1) Screw Trump. This is a backdoor way of doing the nation great harm.

2) He has stumbled into a way of possibly doing what was never going to happen in the legislature. 

I dont know if this will work, but Roberts did say that the "ACA is a tax and therefore Constitutional." If it's not a tax, then has Trump really pulled the rug out from under it? I do not know that. In fact i would be very skeptical of it happening. But either way, we NEED more coverage not less. One thing I am learning in all this, sometimes things dont go as planned in politics. I bet this is one of those times. Trying to destroy the ACA may actually get it fixed for everyone..If this gets us to Medicare-for-All, then so be it. Lets wait and see just how this plays out. 

I cant see SCOTUS letting this happen. I just cant.

13 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

2) He has stumbled into a way of possibly doing what was never going to happen in the legislature. 

I dont know if this will work, but Roberts did say that the "ACA is a tax and therefore Constitutional." If it not a tax, then has Trump really pulled the rug out from under it? I do not know that. In fact i would be very skeptical of it happening. But either way, we NEED more coverage not less. One thing I am learning in all this, sometimes things dont go as planned in politics. I bet this is one of those times. Trying to destroy the ACA may actually get it fixed for everyone..If this gets us to Medicare-for-All, then so be it. Lets wait and see just how this plays out. 

I hope you are right, but honestly, I just don't see this moving the needle toward Medicare-for-all.

I see us landing right back where we started. Where people are being sold cheaper plans that don't actually cover anything, even more bankruptcies due to medical issues, pre-existing coverage being completely gone (and frankly that was always a huge risk once the individual mandate was repealed). If a court strikes down ACA, then what happens to those on expanded Medicaid. States can't afford to just pick up the tab (not without enormous tax increases to cover it).

There are several countries who do this cheaper and better, but yet, we refuse to even talk about exploring other ways of doing it here. It's really infuriating.

Well Trump has handed the Dem Nominee THE Issue they need. The Economy isnt that bad, maybe much better for most. But this is an impact issue for so many and those people have friends and family. 

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

I thought he finally figured out it was a losing position. 

Guess I was wrong.

15 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I dont know if this will work, but Roberts did say that the "ACA is a tax and therefore Constitutional." If it not a tax, then has Trump really pulled the rug out from under it? I do not know that. In fact i would be very skeptical of it happening. But either way, we NEED more coverage not less. One thing I am learning in all this, sometimes things dont go as planned in politics. I bet this is one of those times. Trying to destroy the ACA may actually get it fixed for everyone..If this gets us to Medicare-for-All, then so be it. Lets wait and see just how this plays out. 

While I particularly like your first sentence ;), "Medicare for all" is not the only way to achieve universal coverage.  Other countries (Germany, Switzerland) do it with private insurers as at least part of the mix.

But I am inclined to think "medicare for all" would be cheaper.

White House Obamacare reversal made over Cabinet objections

The heads of the Justice Department and Health and Human Services Department opposed the unexpected switch in legal tactics.

The Trump administration’s surprising move to invalidate Obamacare on Monday came despite the opposition of two key cabinet secretaries: Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Attorney General Bill Barr.

Driving the dramatic action were the administration’s domestic policy chief, Joe Grogan, and the acting director of the Office of Management and Budget, Russ Vought, according to three sources with direct knowledge of the decision. Both are close allies of White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, who helped to engineer the move.

Read the rest at:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/26/trump-obamacare-reversal-cabinet-1238359

Thank you Mr. Grogan, Vought and Mulvaney!

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Thanks for your contribution.  (The "posse" loved it!) ;D

You're welcome

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Why does anybody need obamacare? Can't they just buy the insurance from private companies? Isn't obamacare MORE expensive not less?

Do you really think everyone can afford private insurance?  For those on the lowest ends of the financial totem pole, Obamacare is very much a cheaper, viable solution to their healthcare needs 

39 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do you really think everyone can afford private insurance?  For those on the lowest ends of the financial totem pole, Obamacare is very much a cheaper, viable solution to their healthcare needs 

From what I saw it looked like premiums were much higher, deductibles also greatly increased.  The only difference was if you couldn't afford it you got fined. A lot of people lost their plans and were forced into higher cost plans by obamacare.

58 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

From what I saw it looked like premiums were much higher, deductibles also greatly increased.  The only difference was if you couldn't afford it you got fined. A lot of people lost their plans and were forced into higher cost plans by obamacare.

Yeah, look deeper.  For people who couldn't afford plans, it offered them a chance to get coverage either nearly free or at a substantially reduced premium.

Yes, other plans got more expensive.  But it's not as simple as you're trying to make it out to be.  Private insurance is friggin expensive and there are a ton of folks in this country who need medical insurance that weren't being covered previously because it was cost prohibitive.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:31 PM, jj3jordan said:

Why does anybody need obamacare? Can't they just buy the insurance from private companies? Isn't obamacare MORE expensive not less?

How long have you been out Rip? :rolleyes:

Before the ACA I went without insurance for more than 5 years, not because it was unaffordable, it was unavailable. No one would insure me because of pre-existing conditions. 

And these conditions were very common - I took an anti-depressant and had borderline high blood pressure which was under control with medication.  The simple fact I took these meds ruled me out.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

And these conditions were very common - I took an anti-depressant and had had high blood pressure which was under control with medication.

Image result for not gonna say it meme

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

How long have you been out Rip? :rolleyes:

Before the ACA I went without insurance for more than 5 years, not because it was unaffordable, no one would insure me because of pre-existing conditions. 

And these conditions were very common - I took an anti-depressant and had had high blood pressure which was under control with medication.

Don't know what you did before. Right now no one is talking about restricting pre-existing conditions. What did you have previous to your five year time without insurance? Did you have it before?  Lots of companies covered hbp before the ACA and also depression. I have family members who had both of those. That issue could be remedied by allowing nationwide competition instead of state only access.

Archived