2020 3* QB Chayil Garnett Commits to AU!

aucanucktiger

I like this kid. Very intelligent, good wheels with a 4.7 40, strong arm, 6'2" 205 pounds which is decent size for a QB but needs some development.  By the time he arrives Bo or Gatewood should be entrenched as QB with other as very, very good backup and the kid redshirts first year and then some backup time second year and ready to play third if he has developed. On top of that I read his comment on joining the class. This kid is a a class act who obviously was brought up by great parents. This is an ideal QB for this class. I would not be surprised to see this kid competing and winning QB race his third year even if we sign a high 4 star or a 5 star in 2021.

War Eagle and welcome aboard

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, alexava said:

If his stars ️ is raised we’ll never keep him. But I’ll be happy to try. 

From reading what he said. He is not the type of kid to change teams once he is committed even if his ranking goes way up. 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From reading what he said. He is not the type of kid to change teams once he is committed even if his ranking goes way up. 

Hope so,  it would be nice to develop some QBs and build some depth from within, not consume grad transfers (as has been stated so many times before).  

I would love to get another 5* in a year or so also.

19 hours ago, alexava said:

If his stars ️ is raised we’ll never keep him. But I’ll be happy to try. 

He's obviously not a dumb kid, he'll have more and more offers that'll come. Why would he leave just because he got another star?

36 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

He's obviously not a dumb kid, he'll have more and more offers that'll come. Why would he leave just because he got another star?

You answered your own question 

Coming out of high school, college coaches drool over physical gifts. But intellect is extremely important (and arguably underrated) in a QB. This kid is clearly athletic and has a big arm. Pair that with a high IQ, and he should turn out to be a pretty good player. I like this pick up! I’m kind of surprised he is rated as low as he is though. Anyone know what’s keeping him rated so low?

What’s Auburn getting in QB commit Chayil Garnett?

Updated 1:37 PM; Today 12:51 PM

Photo Courtesy of 247Sports

Three-star dual-threat quarterback Chayil Garnett committed to Auburn on A-Day.

103shares

By Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

Lake Wales (Fla.) coach Tavaris Johnson remembers then-freshman quarterback Chayil Garnett walking in with a resume in hand.

The hard-copy resume included information about Garnett's academic and community service experience, Johnson remembered, as well as goals for his football career.

"We knew right away, he's different," Johnson said. "This is not your typical athlete."

Garnett committed to Auburn last weekend, becoming Auburn’s seventh commitment in the Class of 2020 and the Tigers’ quarterback of the future.

Deshaun Davis recalls childhood in Prichard, recruitment and setbacks on road to Auburn

So, what is Auburn getting in the 6-foot-2, 205-pound Garnett, a 3-star prospect who drew Power 5 attention but didn’t have a Power 5 offer until getting one from Auburn?

Johnson described Garnett as "one of a kind" and raved about Garnett's competitiveness, work ethic intelligence and leadership.

"He gives his all to making the team and himself better," Johnson said. "He demands the best from those around him. There's a quote, I think it's from Peyton Manning, that said the most valuable player is the player who makes those around him most valuable."

Garnett took over the starting quarterback "in the 10th game" of his freshman season, Johnson said, and replaced senior Xavier Gaines, a 4-star prospect who is now a tight end at Marshall.

Garnett threw for threw for 1,582 yards and 16 touchdown and three interceptions as a sophomore. In 2018, according to MaxPreps, he completed 126-of-208 passes for 2,028 yards with 18 touchdowns and four interceptions while also running 64 times for 336 yards and four touchdowns.

Johnson said Garnett will make a "smooth" transition to Auburn and the college game.

“A lot of what Auburn does, we do here,” Johnson said. “We run the same style of offense. It will be a smooth transition. He’s a smart kind and his decision-making shows that.”

View image on Twitter

AL.com H.S. Sports@aldotcomPreps

Football or baseball? Elite 2020 QB prospect Robby Ashford faces tough decision https://trib.al/eLSwtAY

5:27 AM - Apr 17, 2019

See AL.com H.S. Sports's other Tweets

Twitter Ads info and privacy

View Comments (6)

Always interests me that when AU shows interest or offers a relatively unknown kid,  the offers seem to come rolling in from other SEC schools and power 5 schools.   Guess someone has to be the first to see the potential, but  a 3* rating for a young guy like this is probably meaningless.   Nice work by the AU staff.

He also is a multi sport guy. He has never focused solely on football.  He has a very very high ceiling imo...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 8:30 AM, AU64 said:

Always interests me that when AU shows interest or offers a relatively unknown kid,  the offers seem to come rolling in from other SEC schools and power 5 schools.   Guess someone has to be the first to see the potential, but  a 3* rating for a young guy like this is probably meaningless.   Nice work by the AU staff.

On my rare and brief breaks from Gus bashing, I like to sing his praises for finding under-recruited guys who become much more highly recruited after committing to us. It is absolutely remarkable, at least to me. And it's at most position groups on the roster. 

Congrats to Mr. Garnett on his hard work paying off. Excited to see what he can do at Auburn. WDE, dude. 

On 5/2/2019 at 8:07 AM, McLoofus said:

On my rare and brief breaks from Gus bashing,

43545CA0-73F1-4F82-BB2F-2808EFA4AD9D.gif

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Transferred to Lakeland High which is a big time program in Fl. He will see much better competition and have better players around ......... time for him to shine

27 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Transferred to Lakeland High which is a big time program in Fl. He will see much better competition and have better players around ......... time for him to shine

And he will get the exposure to improve his rating should he play well.

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I can't believe we have a QB committed and there is no highlight video in the thread for this kid

That's cuz I wasn't around when the thread was created.

Fixing now.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* QB Chayil Garnett Commits to AU!
1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We could be getting a steal with this kid. 

Let's see what he does against better competition, but I tend to agree with you on this.  If he can up his game at this next level of competition, then he could be a true find

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's cuz I wasn't around when the thread was created.

Fixing now.

Thanks E.  Don't know how we survived without you

You just spoil us

He looks to throw with all arm. Once he learns to throw with his lower body as well, the sky's the limit.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He looks to throw with all arm. Once he learns to throw with his lower body as well, the sky's the limit.

I could see something different about his motion but couldn't put my finger on it.  When you said that it made perfect sense.  Once he learns to use his body to throw he is really going to have a cannon.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Fortunately, if any staff can mold a guy into an NFL passer...

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fortunately, if any staff can mold a guy into an NFL passer...

Normally I'd agree. The addition of Dilly has changed that.

Archived