2020 3* QB Chayil Garnett Commits to AU!

aucanucktiger

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No kidding? Huh. 

Dilly has been impressive with his work with the QBs.  That's just from others descriptions and testimony. I haven't seen it 1st hand.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Normally I'd agree. The addition of Dilly has changed that.

Do you really think he can mold a QB to NFL in this system or is the GM System too immature\basic to allow a true development of a QB?

9 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Do you really think he can mold a QB to NFL in this system or is the GM System too immature\basic to allow a true development of a QB?

I believe Dilly can develop the physical technique and skills to be a good QB. However, the mental skills like reading defenses, progressions, timing/awareness will always be underdeveloped in QBs coming from Gus' system. JMO

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Dilly has been impressive with his work with the QBs.  That's just from others descriptions and testimony. I haven't seen it 1st hand.

Well, it's not the first time we've heard that Denny Killingham has earned Gus's favor where others have not. I reckon I might as well stick around and see what all the fuss is about. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, McLoofus said:

Well, it's not the first time we've heard that Denny Killingham has earned Gus's favor where others have not. 

Much easier when you walk into a situation knowing what the boundaries between your job and Gus' are.  Dilly can step into an undivided situation without notions of wanting to run the offense to feel validated as the OC.  He can focus solely on helping Gus run his offense...something Chip didn't have the privilege of.

18 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Much easier when you walk into a situation knowing what the boundaries between your job and Gus' are.  Dilly can step into an undivided situation without notions of wanting to run the offense to feel validated as the OC.  He can focus solely on helping Gus run his offense...something Chip didn't have the privilege of.

Fair point. And I can see where that works both ways and Gus doesn't feel threatened. 

54 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The other OCs knew their boundaries. Gus changed them though at various times which made it frustrating for them to work with.

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fair point. And I can see where that works both ways and Gus doesn't feel threatened. 

I don't think it's a Gus feeling threatened deal. I think he just he made promises to Rhett & Chip his play calling & OC mind couldn't keep.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

The other OCs knew their boundaries. Gus changed them though at various times which made it frustrating for them to work with.

Chip Lindsey was a good example of knowing his role when hired, and then Gus changing it, causing dysfunction, i felt, last year.

49 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

This kid has not looked very good so far this season.  I'm not sure he's an SEC level QB.

He's been injured, lets give him a chance.

17 hours ago, amsterjam said:

With the possibility of Gatewood transferring I hope this kid is the real deal.

What makes you think Gatewood is a transfer risk?  Seems like he is in good spirits currently. Maybe in a few seasons I would say he is a risk . Also he is one play away from leading AU . 

12 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

What makes you think Gatewood is a transfer risk?  Seems like he is in good spirits currently. Maybe in a few seasons I would say he is a risk . Also he is one play away from leading AU . 

Small sample size on his passing but he appears talented enough to start for a number of P5 schools and he's only a redshirt freshman. I just don't see him riding the bench for 5 years at AU when he could likely find somewhere he could start for 2-3 years. I'm sure Jalen Hurts loved Alabama but he did what he needed to do to improve his situation and no one can blame him one bit. 

11 hours ago, amsterjam said:

Small sample size on his passing but he appears talented enough to start for a number of P5 schools and he's only a redshirt freshman. I just don't see him riding the bench for 5 years at AU when he could likely find somewhere he could start for 2-3 years. I'm sure Jalen Hurts loved Alabama but he did what he needed to do to improve his situation and no one can blame him one bit. 

Good call . 

On 9/28/2019 at 1:11 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

Because the staff is monitoring it. If he does leave the staff is prepared to take a 2nd QB in the class.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Because the staff is monitoring it. If he does leave the staff is prepared to take a 2nd QB in the class.

That makes sense. The more Nix takes control Gatewood knows his time to show his major college skills are dwindling. Notice Gatewood didn't have any packages that Gus used in the MSU except the one play where he went out for a pass. 

These kids, especially QBs with his measurements need to play to get the chance to play in the NFL. 

And with the transfer portal, Gatewood will start for someone if he transfers. Its a matter for him, if he wants to sit out a year or go to a smaller college in order to start next year.

I see no reason for him to stay ...

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I hope the staff is monitoring every player on the team with regard to a potential transfer. That's a new factor in college football that has to be paid attention to.

I can see Gatewood leaving after he graduates early but as of right now he doesn't seem to be giving off those vibes. Having already redshirted, he'll waste a year of eligibility if the transfers before graduating and he'd only have 2 years left. He might as well just stay here for now, play as much as he can and and hit the books if he's interested in moving on later.

12 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

If gatewood went to moo state. Holy hell he would be tough 

If I were Gatewood and I had chosen to transfer you’d have to look at some of these AAC schools or even a Big 10 school if you really believe in yourself as a passer.

If I’m a gambling man I likely lean towards JG departing; wouldn’t blame him and I’d follow his career cheering for him.

That being said, I’m glad to hear we’re already preparing for this possibility. Bo’s trajectory is tremendous but I don’t know if we want Cord coming in in case of injury. Garnett might be viable in the future but he strikes me as a little bit of a project.

Looking at who we’ve offered (according to 247).

Tennessee’s 4* star commit Harrison Bailey 6’4.5” 224 lbs could be considering sliding somewhere else unless playing time is a premium to him.

I don’t think we flip the Clemson/Ohio State/LSU/Notre Dame commits.

Haynes King would have been a tremendous get and I think he may push to start right away at TAMU.

Young (Bama) and Card (Texas) won’t be flipped.

4* 6’1” 193 lbs. DT Luke Doty (SCar) could be flippable as Muschamp inevitably burns down another program and offense.
4* 6’2” 175 lbs. DT Malik Hornsby isn’t committed anywhere. Might be a kid who would warm up to us if we pushed harder.

Would still really like to get Robby Ashford. Ole Miss could very well be another program about to experience a coaching turnover. I know there’s some differing opinions on Ash but I like him.

4* Chandler Morris is committed to Arky which also might have some turnover soon. He’s only 5’10” and 172 lbs. though. Surprised he’s a 4* with those abysmal measurements. Maybe he turns into a gamer but that’s an unfortunate frame to try and win with in the SEC.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Looking at who we’ve offered (according to 247).

We have identified & zeroed in on 4* UNC commit Jacolby Criswell should the need arise.

Archived