Softball vs. UGA

Georgia comes to Jane B. Moore with an SEC record of 1-5.  They won the first game at Missouri, then were swept at home by LSU.  Their preseason schedule was notably light, which explains their 42 RPI compared to our 17.  As polls go, I'm seeing wide variation; they're as high as 12 in one poll, and not listed in the top 25 in another.  They don't seem to have an ace on the pitching staff, but use 4 with ERAs between 1.78 and 2.6.  One of these is Alley Cutting, whom we saw last year, when she pitched for Kennesaw State.  Mary Wilson Avant has thrown the most innings, 59 to Cutting's 56.  Lauren Mathis and Kylie Bass have thrown about 40 each.

The strength of this UGA team is probably hitting.  They've lost the two sisters in the outfield who led off the batting order last year, but still have a team BA of .321, with seven hitters hitting .300 or better.  The bellcow is Alyssa DiCarlo, the senior infielder hitting .429 with 18 homers.  Savana Sikes, the longtime Auburn commit who flipped to Georgia after Myers left, has started every game for them, hitting .255 with 7 homers. 

So, two pretty good hitting teams, neither with a shutdown ace, should make for an interesting series.  With Martin healthy, we'd be a strong favorite; in her absence I'm still thinking we should win the series, but will need effective work from the pitching staff and fielding that doesn't give them any extra at-bats.

Adding to the good info from Whiskey. Based on current rankings they have clearly played a more difficult SEC schedule to this date. Their series losses have been to the #7 and #3 teams. Their two losses to Missouri were by 4 and 1 runs. Their losses to LSU were by 7,2,and 3 runs. Their overall win-loss record is 26-9 with 5 of the losses in SEC play. Auburn wins in conference have been against the #11 and #13 teams. As Whiskey indicated AU, based on RPI, has played overall tougher opposition. UGA has overall BA of .321 which falls to .248 in conference play. Auburn BA in conference is .335. The Georgia pitching ERA increases to 5.21 in conference compared to the ERA of 2.87 overall. AU in conference has ERA 2.87. One area of interest looking at conference stats was that teams are 7 for 7 on stolen bases against the bulldogs compared to 0 for 2 against AU so I would expect many runners who might make it to 1st base will get a green light. It would be nice to have a healthy Makayla Martin for this series but not the case.

Wellllp a 4-0 deficit in the first is not... ideal.

Ouch  UGA up 4-0 in top of first....no TV best I can tell but live stats or radio are available.

With Martin out and only 3 other pitchers on our roster Harris has to pitch and she just doesn’t look confident and the Georgia hitters are all over her to start.

4 Georgia batters up to the plate so far 

4 Runs scored in so far.

Hopefully we can pull off the comeback we have the offensive power to do so!!

COMEBACK is underway!!! Lets go ladies!!!

score please!  Thanks!!!

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Remember to breathe tonight Gwill. You must be super stoked!!

Score please!  Thanks

The game was livestreamed.  I watched it on laptop and basketball on the TV.  Harris just wasn't comfortable in that first inning.  She threw an obvious strike and the ump didn't call it, threw her hands in exasperation.  Have to put that behind you, although it was an extraordinarily bad call.  Offense did a decent job of coming back for 6 runs, normally enough to win a game.

Maresette has had some good and timely hits as well.  Not sure I would know which one to start, either.  Godwin has the bigger upside, but Maresette has put a lot of work in the program, and deserves a chance, also.  JMO.

She's gotten a chance, no? She's not doing too poorly, but Godwin has done much better, and Maresette doesn't pass the eye test imo, a mostly arms swing, poor baserunning, and she's a little emotional at the plate (often looking visibly exasperated when she swings and misses). This is a high level D1 program, not house league.

To date Maresette has 24 hits in 70 at bats for a 34% hit success rate.  Godwin is 11/28 for 39% hit success rate. Maresette has struck out 7 times  (10% ) and walked twice.  Godwin has struck out 4 times (14%) and walked 5 times.  Clearly Maresette has a larger sample size so the smaller number of at bats for Godwin are have a bigger impact on her percentages.  .  Based on walks you might say Godwin is more selective;  however she has more SO.  Both have done some good things.  I am always impressed when someone can come into a game "cold" and get a hit or RBI or draw a walk.  At this point it is a tough call.  Yesterday, Brit struck out and had pop out to SS.  Aspyn had SO and outfield hit.  If you look at individual stats from yesterday, we had others in the line up who did not have success at the plate.  

26 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

To date Maresette has 24 hits in 70 at bats for a 34% hit success rate.  Godwin is 11/28 for 39% hit success rate. Maresette has struck out 7 times  (10% ) and walked twice.  Godwin has struck out 4 times (14%) and walked 5 times.  Clearly Maresette has a larger sample size so the smaller number of at bats for Godwin are have a bigger impact on her percentages.  .  Based on walks you might say Godwin is more selective;  however she has more SO.  Both have done some good things.  I am always impressed when someone can come into a game "cold" and get a hit or RBI or draw a walk.  At this point it is a tough call.  Yesterday, Brit struck out and had pop out to SS.  Aspyn had SO and outfield hit.  If you look at individual stats from yesterday, we had others in the line up who did not have success at the plate.  

Maybe use some stats invented after 1900? Godwin gets on base much more often, and has more power, and has had to do it more often in PH situations as you said, all signs point to her being better than Maresette.

Then Marrisette comes through with ITPHR yesterday as pinch hitter.  Crazy.  Too bad nobody got on in front of her. 

And Godwin still has the higher OBP and SLG%! But let's just go with what they did in the previous game or two, McCrackin should definitely be benched this Saturday.

I'm glad we have two weapons to choose from. Maresette started Friday, went 0 for 2, Godwin pinch-hit and got a hit. Godwin started Saturday, went 0 for 2, Maresette pinch hit and got the homer (only hit of the game for Auburn). So Maresette started Sunday and had a career day, 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs, on base 4 times. If I'm the coach, Maresette will start Saturday in Game 1 against UT, barring unforeseen developments. It's much like two years ago, when McCrackin and Crocker were alternating at second. It required a whole year for McCrackin to win that job.

Archived