Baseball vs South Carolina Game 1.

score please!  THanks

4 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

score please!  THanks

Last I saw on Twitter was 4-2 AU in the 9th. I didn't watch the game so Tanner Burns had a great game, of course.

4 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Last I saw on Twitter was 4-2 AU in the 9th. I didn't watch the game so Tanner Burns had a great game, of course.

thanks!!  It is hard to get scores for some reason.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

thanks!!  It is hard to get scores for some reason.

No problem. I'm too emotionally drained from Bball to watch any more games so was just checking twitter. AU won 4-2 with Greenhill getting the save and Burns with the win.

Final was 4-2 Auburn.

This is as un-intimidating of a lineup as I have ever seen from South Carolina.  Burns gave up 4 hits in 6 2/3 of an inning.  Got in the only bit of trouble in the sixth when the leadoff batter hit a thirty-eight hopper back to him and he had to throw across the mound to first base.  Sammy Dunn used to call that the hardest play in baseball because a pitcher throws the whole game to a stiff front leg and often forgets to bend his knees on the throw over.  Burns did just that and threw it into right field for a two base error.  Next batter hit a no doubt two run home run and that was it for the Gamecock offense.  Anderson and Greenhill pitched the final seven outs without giving up a hit.  The Auburn offense erupted in the top of the second with a walk and four consecutive singles to put up a 3 spot...really should have been more but with nobody out and runners on first and second and the 9-1-2 hitters went pop up, strikeout and strikeout.  We did add a big run in the top of the ninth when Rankin Woley came up with a clutch two out double to score Matt Scheffler.  After watching the Gamecock offense, I hope our guys are thinking seriously about taking all three of these games...Carolina starts six guys hitting .250 or less (two of those are hitting less than .200).

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Nor are you allowed to for the rest of the season......you have created the mojo now. Gotta stick with it.......    :nonono:

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

No problem. I'm too emotionally drained from Bball to watch any more games so was just checking twitter. AU won 4-2 with Greenhill getting the save and Burns with the win.

I was bouncing back and forth between the two games in two different rooms in my house.....so stressful. I bet I could skip Zumba for a week after tonight's workout. Exhausted!

Some delayed commentary from last nights game. Burns was huge on the bump,  had great stuff, and efficient with his pitches. It may be time for Gabe to move some guys around in the lineup. Our 1 and 2 hitters are hitting about .240 and .250 respectively, with low OBPs, and a lot of strikeouts. We need someone in those spots that is consistently putting the ball in play and getting on base. The USC pitchers last night were not special, but we made them look that way most of the night. We dont have the pitching depth to keep winning low scoring games against the better SEC teams. A road win the in league is huge, and I will take it, but we need more juice from our bats. 

10 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Final was 4-2 Auburn.

This is as un-intimidating of a lineup as I have ever seen from South Carolina.  Burns gave up 4 hits in 6 2/3 of an inning.  Got in the only bit of trouble in the sixth when the leadoff batter hit a thirty-eight hopper back to him and he had to throw across the mound to first base.  Sammy Dunn used to call that the hardest play in baseball because a pitcher throws the whole game to a stiff front leg and often forgets to bend his knees on the throw over.  Burns did just that and threw it into right field for a two base error.  Next batter hit a no doubt two run home run and that was it for the Gamecock offense.  Anderson and Greenhill pitched the final seven outs without giving up a hit.  The Auburn offense erupted in the top of the second with a walk and four consecutive singles to put up a 3 spot...really should have been more but with nobody out and runners on first and second and the 9-1-2 hitters went pop up, strikeout and strikeout.  We did add a big run in the top of the ninth when Rankin Woley came up with a clutch two out double to score Matt Scheffler.  After watching the Gamecock offense, I hope our guys are thinking seriously about taking all three of these games...Carolina starts six guys hitting .250 or less (two of those are hitting less than .200).

South Carolina in a down year....hope we can take advantage this weekend.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our 1 and 2 hitters are hitting about .240 and .250 respectively, with low OBPs, and a lot of strikeouts. We need someone in those spots that is consistently putting the ball in play and getting on base. 

Those two guys are the leaders of this team (it's their club) and I believe Gabe will go to any lengths to keep them where they are and wait til they get it clicking.  I'm convinced Wiliams has got the best left handed swing since Will Clark.  He is devestating on the fastball in, he just has to lay off the one up and away.  Holland had a horrible start, but he's coming along albeit slowly.  Ten hits in an SEC Friday game is about all you can ask in my opinon.

23 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Those two guys are the leaders of this team (it's their club) and I believe Gabe will go to any lengths to keep them where they are and wait til they get it clicking.  I'm convinced Wiliams has got the best left handed swing since Will Clark.  He is devestating on the fastball in, he just has to lay off the one up and away.  Holland had a horrible start, but he's coming along albeit slowly.  Ten hits in an SEC Friday game is about all you can ask in my opinon.

JMO but the on base percentage is what matters in those slots......and both are not bad though a few more walks and a few less Ks would be more appropriate for those slots in the order.  JMO.

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the on base percentage is what matters in those slots......and both are not bad though a few more walks and a few less Ks would be more appropriate for those slots in the order.  JMO.

Bliss or Ward would be more prototypical in the leadoff, but I would bet Gabe doesn't yet want to put that kind of pressure on them.  Williams swing is absolutely gorgeous, but too "long" to be a two hole guy.  At some point, maybe not until next year, we might see Bliss and Ward at the 1-2.  When this offense gets dialed in, it could be really scary.

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Bliss or Ward would be more prototypical in the leadoff, but I would bet Gabe doesn't yet want to put that kind of pressure on them.  Williams swing is absolutely gorgeous, but too "long" to be a two hole guy.  At some point, maybe not until next year, we might see Bliss and Ward at the 1-2.  When this offense gets dialed in, it could be really scary.

True….and I understand the reasons for what is being done.....just would be nice if both had a bit more swing discipline.   SW does have a great swing....takes me back to my youth watching Ted Williams... a great doubles swing and should be 3 or 5 and get more RBI opportunities. . 

Looks like Gabe and CBT have switched up the order today with Ward leading off and Howell batting second. Interested to see if this sparks Holland at all

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Nothing against those two at all. It often helps the hitters as much as anyone when the lineup is shifted a little. Just saw todays starting lineup, and happy Gabe took my advice. 😂

10 minutes ago, au302 said:

Looks like Gabe and CBT have switched up the order today with Ward leading off and Howell batting second. Interested to see if this sparks Holland at all

must have read our chat earlier in the morning....:)

Archived