UVA Scouting report

TexasTiger

I’m just an enthusiastic basketball 🏀 fan, but let’s hear from the more knowledgeable folks how we stack up and what we need to do against UVA.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are known for the defense. They slow the ball down and grind out wins. they have two really good tall guards. They shoot the 3 well. If we get out and running, it doesn't bode well for them. 

Their "pack line" man defense is different than most.  Defenders one and two passes away sag to help with dribble penetration, yet are close enough to close out on the perimeter pass to their man. On ball screens they typically hedge and recover, but they will double the ball.  It is different, but it is good that we have a few days to prepare for it.  Almost like playing a mix of man and zone.

first-look-2019-final-four espn

Just now, Randman5000 said:

258.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Virginia Cavaliers

Kyle Guy has had an up-and-down tournament for Virginia, but remains dangerous. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Final Four matchup: vs. Auburn
2018-19 record (conference record): 33-3 (16-2 ACC)
Road to the Final Four: Gardner-Webb, 71-56; Oklahoma, 63-51; Oregon 53-49; Purdue 80-75
Coach (record): Tony Bennett (252-89 in 10 seasons at Virginia, 320-122 overall)
National championships (team): 0
Final Fours (team): 3rd (1981, 1984)
Leading scorer: Kyle Guy (15.2 points per game)
Leading rebounder: Braxton Key (5.4 per game)
Assists leader: Ty Jerome (5.3 per game)
Most three-pointers made Kyle Guy (114)
Offensive rank (BPI): 2nd
Defensive rank (BPI): 2nd
Experience (KenPom): 1.60 years (203rd in Division I)

How they beat you: Ask any coach in the ACC and they'll say it's just draining to face the Cavaliers. Tony Bennett's team takes any opponent out of its rhythm due to its grind-it-out, half-court style. The Cavaliers play the slowest tempo in the country. Virginia's calling card is still on the defensive end of the floor, where the Cavaliers rank in the top seven in adjusted defensive efficiency for the sixth straight season. They pack the paint, closing off driving lanes and essentially try to force opponents to take contested 3-pointers.

But this year's Virginia team is slightly different -- the Cavaliers can score. They actually rank higher in offensive efficiency than defensive efficiency. Ty Jerome is one of the most confident guards in the country, capable of getting shots for himself or others. Kyle Guy runs relentlessly off pin-downs and back screens, looking to get open for jumpers. The key is De'Andre Hunter. The future top-10 pick brings a dimension to the offensive end of the floor that Virginia hasn't had very often under Bennett. They wear teams down with their style, they take care of the ball, they make shots and they force teams to make tough jumpers -- it's awfully tough to beat the Cavaliers. -- Jeff Borzello 

How you beat them:Having Carsen Edwards on your team is a good start. Well, considering Purdue still lost despite a superhuman effort from Edwards, maybe that doesn't even work. Look, Virginia is very difficult to beat. The Cavaliers have lost just six times in the last two seasons, including two this season to Duke and the 16-over-1 shocker to UMBC. They're not perfect, though.

The offense, while improved from past years, can still struggle if the guards aren't making shots. After a stretch in February and March where Virginia shot 40 percent or better from 3 in five straight games, the Cavaliers have shot 33.3 percent or worse in each of their last five games. Guy's second-half perimeter resurgence on Saturday is the primary reason Virginia is still playing. Hunter had been relatively anonymous for three full games until Saturday's overtime session.

Now, how do you score on Virginia? The easy answer is simply to make 3-pointers. Purdue made 14 on Saturday, while Duke buried 13 in a win earlier this season. It's not the only way, though. Virginia still can be beaten by teams with significantly more length and athleticism than them. As mentioned, Duke did it twice and Florida State handled them by double-digits in the ACC tournament. -- Jeff Borzello

Like the idea of being to prepare for them...no doubt they're good...but we have won playing both styles....UNC and Kansas was up and down...UK tried to keep it in the 50's but it didn't work....we beat UF in the SEC tourney in a 50's game....we have the quickness that no team left has faced...ask Kansas...UNC and UK (they knew, that is why they didn't want to go up and down with us)....you can practice against the fast-paced with your scout team, but it is different when you face it....that is why we produce a ton of turnovers and quick baskets off their mistakes....I feel a lot better playing Virginia then having to play Purdue...that team had length and 2 outstanding shooters....how would you like to chase J. Harper around the court????

War Eagle...

It might go slightly unnoticed but their lineup is very similar to what we ran last year, out of desperation. They ran 4 guards and Diakite (who's basically Spencer but..better, IMO). Kihei is 5'9, Guy is 6'2, Jerome is 6'5, and Hunter is 6'7. In essence Hunter is a tall 2, but he fills in the same role that Dunbar does. We match up PERFECTLY. perfectly. roster wise with them. There should be negative physical mismatch on the court. This is the rare game where there's not really a disaster case, we could get out rebounded and lose by 20, type of outcome. If anything, we could just run the three guard look from earlier this season and then have Dunbar at the 4 and try to shoot them out the game early

UVA has some big slow guys. With that being said, they have one really big guy, but if we could use our speed, he will be a non-factor. Wish we had Okeke for that matchup. Their backcourt can hit threes. They have one goofy dude, last name guy who can play. But like I said the Purdue guard was slicing and dicing through them. Their fanbase is very confident they will walk through us. I like to think we played against two quality teams BETTER than UVA. Let's get to the ship.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

they also run 8, so depth shouldnt be at play

Against Purdue, they played 8 guys but 2 of them COMBINED for 1 minute ... which included OT. 

not sure what they typically do but if we can run them, it’ll be fun.

were gonna have to create O from our D.  Turn them over and run the floor.  Get an early lead and make them have to play catch up.  Force them to need more possessions therefore up their tempo.  

I know someone compared them to ole miss against us but are their guards as athletic as ole miss?

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Against Purdue, they played 8 guys but 2 of them COMBINED for 1 minute ... which included OT. 

not sure what they typically do but if we can run them, it’ll be fun.

were gonna have to create O from our D.  Turn them over and run the floor.  Get an early lead and make them have to play catch up.  Force them to need more possessions therefore up their tempo.  

I know someone compared them to ole miss against us but are their guards as athletic as ole miss?

No, but they are more fundamentally sound and can shoot pretty good. Our guards will have to make them play on both ends. Don't just chuck up 3s and bail them out. Tyler Herro was getting cooked by our guards tonight. He defends better than them IMO

I think athleticism is the furthest term possible to describe this team. Diakite definitely fits that mold and I dont watch Hunter but hes a lottery pick so...Guy at least is your quintessential JJ Reddick type, rolls perfectly off of screens and finds soft spots, can shoot off the dribble. Jerome is also a shooter although Im not too familiar with the rest of his game. Obviously as evidenced by our season, athleticism isnt the end all be all 

They play seven guys. Clark, Guy, Jerome, Hunter (he’s the guy Chuma gets compared to... or did before Chuma started playing better), Diakite, Salt (who started most of the last two years),  and Key. No one else plays minutes with any regularity. 

Hunter is a tough matchup, but he’s not PJ Washington. I think Bryce will do a good job harassing Clark and Guy. Jerome is the guy for them. He’s their best ballhandler, their best defender at creating turnovers, a quality shooter, and a tough matchup with his size. Samir and Malik will have their hands full with him. 

On the defensive side for us, it’s a pretty decent matchup though. Diakite isn’t a score first guy or a massive banger so it should be a little easier on Mac and Spence. Wiley has to match Salt’s physicality. Purifoy/Spence should be okay on Hunter, although he can be a load. Malik/Samir on Jerome. Clark/Guy fit our backcourt (unlike a UK/UNC backcourt). Key is an athlete with length. I expect him to play a lot against us. 

If Harp/J’Von can pierce their defense and we make threes, this is a winnable game. Tough game against a really good team. But winnable. 

17 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

They play seven guys. Clark, Guy, Jerome, Hunter (he’s the guy Chuma gets compared to... or did before Chuma started playing better), Diakite, Salt (who started most of the last two years),  and Key. No one else plays minutes with any regularity. 

Hunter is a tough matchup, but he’s not PJ Washington. I think Bryce will do a good job harassing Clark and Guy. Jerome is the guy for them. He’s their best ballhandler, their best defender at creating turnovers, a quality shooter, and a tough matchup with his size. Samir and Malik will have their hands full with him. 

On the defensive side for us, it’s a pretty decent matchup though. Diakite isn’t a score first guy or a massive banger so it should be a little easier on Mac and Spence. Wiley has to match Salt’s physicality. Purifoy/Spence should be okay on Hunter, although he can be a load. Malik/Samir on Jerome. Clark/Guy fit our backcourt (unlike a UK/UNC backcourt). Key is an athlete with length. I expect him to play a lot against us. 

If Harp/J’Von can pierce their defense and we make threes, this is a winnable game. Tough game against a really good team. But winnable. 

Salt is very physical and can get up for his build.  I've seen a lot of one handed rebounds where he basically slaps the ball back outside to one of his guys.  Jerome and Guy will be the key matchups.  I think we can handle them though.  I'm not sure they can run with us if we get the transition game going. 

What is the scouting report on US Bank Stadium? That is almost as important. The depth perception at these huge football stadiums are tough on teams like us that are 3 point shooting teams. 

Two elite shooters in Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy, am all around small forward in De’Andre Hunter. An Elite Rim protector and rebounder in Mamadi Diakete (Black Guy with blonde hair). And a midget 5’9” guy Kihei Clark which I’m not really sure what his contribution is. They also have a bench of 3 slow tall bigs that are essentially there to set screens and get rebounds. They’re number one in the country in not turning the ball over and they have one of the slowest paces in college basketball. We CANNOT I really CANNOT let Virginia get hot from 3. I would throw a zone/trap to double Jerome and Guy and make Diakete and Clark beat you offensively. They will shoot you out of the building, lock you down on defense, and slow the pace down at that. The slower the game the more advantage Virginia. The faster the pace the advantage goes to Auburn.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What is the scouting report on US Bank Stadium? That is almost as important. The depth perception at these huge football stadiums are tough on teams like us that are 3 point shooting teams. 

This always concerns me.  Most people don't realize how much difference the larger venues make in shooting.  The lines in the stadiums are farther away and they go up at a lesser angle. This does affect the depth perception of the shooter.  Hopefully, we can get plenty of shoot around time before the game. 

WDE!

Maybe we can get Gene Hackman to come in with a tape measure before the first practice.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I  HATE that they do this. I get it. But I hate it. 

We just need to get ahead by a lot early in the second half and make them have to speed up! Then play chaotic and wide open.

We will be fine. We will play Pearl ball at its best and make our fair share of 3 pointers. We very likely have already played the toughest games we will play in the tourney. We match up well against UVA and could blow this game out. My guess is that we will win this game by 8 or more points. I think this team now is on a mission and believe in themselves 110% and then some. 4 down, 2 to go baby!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

We just need to get ahead by a lot early in the second half and make them have to speed up! Then play chaotic and wide open.

you read my mind.

Turn them over and try to speed up the play of the game.  They will slow it down.  They have three good players, Guy, Hunter, and Jerome.

Archived