UVA Scouting report

TexasTiger

It will be very difficult to force them to play at a fast pace. We attempt 60 shots per game, and they have only allowed that many shots 4 times all season (1 was an overtime game).  They play a very difficult half-court man defense, and intentionally sacrifice offensive rebounding opportunities (getting only 8 per game), to get 2 and 3 guys back on defense to prevent transition offense off a miss. They also limit offensive rebounding very well. 

Even in the game with Purdue going to OT, they only allowed 55 attempts, and Purdue shot 49% from the floor and 43% from three! Virginia got 65 attempts, won the turnover battle and had an unusually large amount of offensive rebounds with 17. 

So simply saying we need to play fast is more of a wish than a game plan. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So this is the kind of content @ellitor told us to give Nerd a follow for. MUCH better than I expected tbqh.  

Nerd is funny as hell, both on Twitter and on the rant.

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

It will be very difficult to force them to play at a fast pace. We attempt 60 shots per game, and they have only allowed that many shots 4 times all season (1 was an overtime game).  They play a very difficult half-court man defense, and intentionally sacrifice offensive rebounding opportunities (getting only 8 per game), to get 2 and 3 guys back on defense to prevent transition offense off a miss. They also limit offensive rebounding very well. 

Even in the game with Purdue going to OT, they only allowed 55 attempts, and Purdue shot 49% from the floor and 43% from three! Virginia got 65 attempts, won the turnover battle and had an unusually large amount of offensive rebounds with 17. 

Purdue is also not a high tempo team though. They were 268th in the country in tempo. They play a lot more in half court than we do. From a personnel standpoint, Purdue would have been a matchup nightmare for us. There's not a better fundamentally sound team than Virginia, but they are a team that won't beat us with length and athleticism.

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

We will be fine. We will play Pearl ball at its best and make our fair share of 3 pointers. We very likely have already played the toughest games we will play in the tourney. We match up well against UVA and could blow this game out. My guess is that we will win this game by 8 or more points. I think this team now is on a mission and believe in themselves 110% and then some. 4 down, 2 to go baby!

We actually only hit 7 three pointers against Kentucky. I think Auburn is starting to realize this drive and finish thing ain't so bad either. If threes are falling, great, shoot em out of the gym, but if they're not, I could see Auburn still competing and winning this game. We hit 19 shots inside the arc against UK, and shot 45% in all two point shots. While that's not staggering, we did score almost 40 of our points from 2. Not bad for a team that lives and dies by the three...

8 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We actually only hit 7 three pointers against Kentucky. I think Auburn is starting to realize this drive and finish thing ain't so bad either. If threes are falling, great, shoot em out of the gym, but if they're not, I could see Auburn still competing and winning this game. We hit 19 shots inside the arc against UK, and shot 45% in all two point shots. While that's not staggering, we did score almost 40 of our points from 2. Not bad for a team that lives and dies by the three...

The “Pack Line” defense Bennett runs is designed to stop slashing and post play. It is, however, schematically weak against good 3 point shooting teams. I get the feeling the perimeter is where we’re going to have to win this game. 

AUDub is correct. UVA is a really tough defensive team with just enough offense to win.

The "pack line defense" that Virginia runs is a team defense. All the players are in sync. It's not a true man defense, although it often looks like it.

It is specifically designed to make it very very difficult to penetrate into the paint. The defense contests the ball handler one-on-one (sometimes doubles) but all other players pack it in. As the ball is passed around the perimeter, a defender moves out, the defender who was guarding the ball drops back. Typically, that means there are 4 guys inside protecting the paint.

1. Very difficult to drive into the paint
2. Very rare to see a back door
3. Forces shots from outside, thus lower shooting percentage
4. Strong rebounding, since they are packed in
5. Slows down pace, which frustrates offenses, which encourages bad shots and turnovers

To beat this defense usually requires excellent fast passing to find open shooters, and accuracy from outside. Brown's dribble-dancing will not beat UVA. However, if you move the ball and get hot from outside, with multiple shooters making 3s and floor shots, they might be lured out of their comfort zone. And if Brown and/or Harper get hot shooting 3s off of screens, forcing UVA to pull two defenders out of the interior, that will open up the inside.

On offense, the Hoos are methodical, a patient half-court style offense that tries to find mismatches, breakdowns and again, frustrate the defenders. They use a lot of clock. They take care of the ball pretty well. They also sacrifice offensive rebounding and send players back on shots to defend against transition baskets. So, if they are not making shots, it is your advantage on the boards, but still hard to turn it into points.

Auburn and UVA played two common opponents during regular season play. They beat South Carolina by a big margin at South Carolina in December, and they beat NC State at NC State in February. Auburn lost to both during the regular season. And of course, UVA played UNC and beat them, although the margin was certainly not as big as Auburn's win over the Tarheels.

I'd say that UVA has not encountered team speed like Auburn's. The closest team they've played with Auburn's up tempo style would be UNC. If Auburn is hitting shots from outside, that will be the path to victory. And I think nobody can really prepare for Auburn's style of *chaos* basketball -- hands everywhere, turnovers and scrambles. But, if Auburn gets frustrated and starts throwing up bricks, the prognosis is not so good.

21 minutes ago, AURex said:

AUDub is correct. UVA is a really tough defensive team with just enough offense to win.

The "pack line defense" that Virginia runs is a team defense. All the players are in sync. It's not a true man defense, although it often looks like it.

It is specifically designed to make it very very difficult to penetrate into the paint. The defense contests the ball handler one-on-one (sometimes doubles) but all other players pack it in. As the ball is passed around the perimeter, a defender moves out, the defender who was guarding the ball drops back. Typically, that means there are 4 guys inside protecting the paint.

1. Very difficult to drive into the paint
2. Very rare to see a back door
3. Forces shots from outside, thus lower shooting percentage
4. Strong rebounding, since they are packed in
5. Slows down pace, which frustrates offenses, which encourages bad shots and turnovers

To beat this defense usually requires excellent fast passing to find open shooters, and accuracy from outside. Brown's dribble-dancing will not beat UVA. However, if you move the ball and get hot from outside, with multiple shooters making 3s and floor shots, they might be lured out of their comfort zone. And if Brown and/or Harper get hot shooting 3s off of screens, forcing UVA to pull two defenders out of the interior, that will open up the inside.

On offense, the Hoos are methodical, a patient half-court style offense that tries to find mismatches, breakdowns and again, frustrate the defenders. They use a lot of clock. They take care of the ball pretty well. They also sacrifice offensive rebounding and send players back on shots to defend against transition baskets. So, if they are not making shots, it is your advantage on the boards, but still hard to turn it into points.

Auburn and UVA played two common opponents during regular season play. They beat South Carolina by a big margin at South Carolina in December, and they beat NC State at NC State in February. Auburn lost to both during the regular season. And of course, UVA played UNC and beat them, although the margin was certainly not as big as Auburn's win over the Tarheels.

I'd say that UVA has not encountered team speed like Auburn's. The closest team they've played with Auburn's up tempo style would be UNC. If Auburn is hitting shots from outside, that will be the path to victory. And I think nobody can really prepare for Auburn's style of *chaos* basketball -- hands everywhere, turnovers and scrambles. But, if Auburn gets frustrated and starts throwing up bricks, the prognosis is not so good.

That pack the paint defense could play in our favor with offensive rebounds because the ball tends to come off the rim further. Looking for any advantage in this post. 😂 I really don’t have a clue, but it sounded good.

1 minute ago, toddc said:

That pack the paint defense could play in our favor with offensive rebounds because the ball tends to come off the rim further. Looking for any advantage in this post. 😂 I really don’t have a clue, but it sounded good.

Technique wise, UVA is second to non in rebounding. We’ll need a lot of good bounces to win the board battle. 

35 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Technique wise, UVA is second to non in rebounding. We’ll need a lot of good bounces to win the board battle. 

We very seldom win the board battle. Nothing new.  😂

6 minutes ago, around4ever said:

We very seldom win the board battle. Nothing new.  😂

Put it this way. We don't typically win the board battle, but we do well when we keep it close like yesterday. UVA will board very well on their own end. 

Will be interesting to see how much they're willing to stretch their pack line defense with the way we space the floor. Gotta think they'll focus on Jared and Bryce obviously, but Mac and Danjel could get a lot of open looks. Both have quick releases too and plenty of lenght so they should get a lot of clean shots if we move the ball quickly enough. If they start creeping out, then Jared can hopefully get by them and make some good kick out passes to Bryce as the defense tries to collapse him Harper

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

I thought we held our own against Kentucky, the first half anyway. I don’t remember the total of the game. They were supposed to kill us in that stat. Found it-41-37 Kentucky 

CBP has given most everybody a green light for 3s if they are open. So we do see Dunbar, McLemore and McCormick lofting outside balls. Harper has really not been shooting 3s worth a crap in recent weeks, and Brown seems to wait until the 2nd half. Somebody is going to have to step up to pull UVA out of their comfortable D.

But also, this "pack line" defense is specifically designed to counter the kind of offensive play that Harper has used to carry Auburn in the late stages of games -- drive the lane, score layup or shoot foul shots. The only way Harper gets into the lane like that against UVA is if Auburn establishes enough of a threat of scoring from outside that UVA has to come out of that pack.

Auburn is going to have to make outside shots, and Auburn has got to be patient and when possible, disruptive on defense.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

But, if Auburn gets frustrated and starts throwing up bricks, the prognosis is not so good.

This is key.  We must be patient.  We did a good job of that against UNC, let the game come to us and found a hot hand to blow them away.  I would like for Jared and Bryce to be ready to play from the start of the game. I think we have to take advantage of our speed early since they are probably not used to seeing it.  I feel they will adjust to it as the game goes on. 

8 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I think we will step up to the plate and dictate the speed of the game. We do this, and we win and maybe win pretty big. I think this team is on a  mission and is out to prove they are the real deal and will play lights out for the next 2 games. I say next 2 games in that my gut tells me we will be playing 2 more games. My pick:

Auburn 81

UVA 63

Then.....Auburn 79

MSU 74

I like these scores and hope I am totally right!!

Quickness and speed...2 things they haven't seen when it matters....

The biggest weakness for the pack line defense in my opinion is the kick to the corner for an open 3. Theoretically if we could sneak Brown open all night with quick passes around the perimeter, then we could blow them out. Realistically, I don’t see Virginia letting Brown get open just to stay true to their scheme.

Offensively, Virginia runs  the mover-blocker scheme which is almost funny to watch, once you understand it. It’s basically 3 guys running around in a circle while the other two set up screens.

I feel like we match up well with them, they’re just reallly REALLY good at doing what they do.

12 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Aw man! You stole my thread!  Now I feel like I held in a sneeze...

You should still start your own thread just to be safe. If you believe in that type of thing.

I think we run them out of the gym...We will be too quick for them. Honestly, I think they're a better match up than Purdue would have been...

10 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Challenge accepted 

They only lost 3! I have not seen them play but for some very odd reason I think we pounce on them. I hope Texas tech wins the other side 

I hate this matchup. UVA is slow and boring. Basically they are the anti auburn - slow, don’t turn it over, wait until 10 sec left on the shot clock, and they always get back on D. 

We have struggled against EVERY Team that has played this way this year: ole miss, nm state, uab. Every team that has slowed us down and milked the shot clock has either beaten us or could have beaten us. 

Of course we are different now so I Still think we win - by hitting our shots. 

Archived