UVA Scouting report

TexasTiger

I'm going to drill this into our heads as much as possible to keep the OH NO WE'RE A SHOOTING TEAM IN A DOME narrative from even starting to creep into anybody's minds.

So here it is again:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-dome-effect-isnt-real-the-nrg-effect-is-complicated/

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm going to drill this into our heads as much as possible to keep the OH NO WE'RE A SHOOTING TEAM IN A DOME narrative from even starting to creep into anybody's minds.

So here it is again:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-dome-effect-isnt-real-the-nrg-effect-is-complicated/

Damn you Tiger, don't take away my reasons to be nervous. Optimism is my mortal enemy. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Damn you Tiger, don't take away my reasons to be nervous. Optimism is my mortal enemy. 

UVA being a good team should be enough to maintain your nervousness.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

LOL trust me I totally get that. The opposition is enough to make me nervous at this point, but I'm channeling my young self here -- as a former shooter (Excuse me while I get my Uncle Rico on), I appreciate things being constant and I know how slumps and cold streaks can work and if you're in the middle of a game and you missed a few and start thinking about different things like a dome etc then you're done for.

Tangent alert:

I think our fanbase's line of thought that we do bad when expectations are high is toxic to our football program to a certain extent. The players hear that talk etc, not saying they need to be sheltered from stuff because they're obviously big boys and I suppose my nervous/excited energy right now could be influencing this. In conclusion I don't want to see any room for excuses outside of us just not playing up to our standards/UVA playing well to seep into this thing lol

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

LOL trust me I totally get that. The opposition is enough to make me nervous at this point, but I'm channeling my young self here -- as a former shooter (Excuse me while I get my Uncle Rico on), I appreciate things being constant and I know how slumps and cold streaks can work and if you're in the middle of a game and you missed a few and start thinking about different things like a dome etc then you're done for.

Tangent alert:

I think our fanbase's line of thought that we do bad when expectations are high is toxic to our football program to a certain extent. The players hear that talk etc, not saying they need to be sheltered from stuff because they're obviously big boys and I suppose my nervous/excited energy right now could be influencing this. In conclusion I don't want to see any room for excuses outside of us just not playing up to our standards/UVA playing well to seep into this thing lol

Copy that. You know how I feel about a prior game in the tournament but that was one kind of game and this is another one. These guys have proven that they belong here just as much as UVA does and their minds need to be set accordingly. 

After more than normal review, I feel pretty good about the game at this point. I think our spacing and quickness will really help us on offense. We will need to force some turnovers and run when we can, but I think we can win this one ugly as long as we just hang around long enough for one good run. My primary concern is if we get behind early.

Seen that "fade screen" a number to times in their games and almost looks like they use a moving pick....made me wonder if one of their positions was an "H-back" or tight end.   They are good a picking off a defender who is following the ball....and leaving the ball handler wide open.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Seen that "fade screen" a number to times in their games and almost looks like they use a moving pick....made me wonder if one of their positions was an "H-back" or tight end.   They are good a picking off a defender who is following the ball....and leaving the ball handler wide open.

I thought the same thing about a  moving screen. 

44 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I thought the same thing about a  moving screen. 

They have a set where the ball handler  starts around the screen guy who immediately moves toward the basket and clears the way for the ball handler to follow....pulling guard ...must be legal..but very useful th shake off a defender.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

They have a set where the ball handler  starts around the screen guy who immediately moves toward the basket and clears the way for the ball handler to follow....pulling guard ...must be legal..but very useful th shake off a defender.

It shouldn't be legal if the pulling guard makes contact with a defender.  

8 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It shouldn't be legal if the pulling guard makes contact with a defender.  

True but the big guy Salt just shields the defender and nudges him out of the play...you can watch for it...Bet it happens going left of the foul lane

Pearl i think said himself set they move every play, but the refs can't call every play so they pretty much get away with. 

29 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Pearl i think said himself set they move every play, but the refs can't call every play so they pretty much get away with. 

When you get a rep as a great defensive team (especially in college ball) you get away with so much stuff that teams who do not have that rep cannot get away with. They barely "commit" any fouls each game. 

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

When you get a rep as a great defensive team (especially in college ball) you get away with so much stuff that teams who do not have that rep cannot get away with. They barely "commit" any fouls each game. 

So did Kentucky, when they brought their own officials

3 hours ago, NickFairleyFan90 said:

We need to rebound to have a chance

No, we need to play sound defensively to have a chance. If we create turnovers and run the floor, Virginia becomes very beatable.

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Not a foul if you switch on the screen. Have to show and recover in order to get the call. 

Archived