Vandy zeroing in on Jerry Stackhouse

GwillMac6

Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer

Jerry Stackhouse is in talks with Vanderbilt to become its next head coach, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Stackhouse, an assistant coach with the Memphis Grizzlies, was the head coach of the Raptors 905 G League team the past two years. He was named D-League Coach of the Year after leading the team to the title. His time in the G League helped build his relationship with Vanderbilt athletic director Malcolm Turner, who was formerly the president of the G League.

Stackhouse played 18 seasons in the NBA before retiring in 2013. He earned two All-Star appearances. He was also a star for two seasons at North Carolina, being named a consensus All-American in 1995.

Stackhouse lacks college coaching experience, but he ran his own AAU program, Stackhouse Elite. He coached and helped mentor current Los Angeles Lakers star -- and fellow Kinston, North Carolina native -- Brandon Ingram.

Stackhouse would replace Bryce Drew, who was fired in March after three seasons at Vanderbilt.

The news was first reported by CBS Sports.

Really good potential on this hire, in a vacuum. Dont think you fire the guy who got you Darius Garland and that other 5 star for him, but he's a good player coach and will give VU an identity that'll make them a tougher out than they looked last season

It seems like an odd hire but the AD knows the guy so i guess that makes up for zero college coaching experience. Penny had good first season with Memphis but he was also still coaching his AAU team and they were guaranteed to pull in a few 5* with that hire. I also think Penny has more name recognition than stackhouse but i could be wrong there. NBA is not my forte

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Sounds like this is a fine deal. Shot in the dark hire imo. Could turn out great or terrible

Friend of the AD......yep....could go either way. ...and running his own AAU program?    that would make me nervous but you never know, some of them might be on the up and up. :dunno:

47 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

This ain't gonna end well for the Dores. Which is fine by me.

I guess you never know about his coaching.    But as for recruiting,  considering his background I give it a year before the NCAA is checking on his AAU contacts and possible influences...especially the first time he get's some big time player to commit over Duke or UK. . 

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Is Jerry an AAU guy though? I know he was a HC in the NBA's G-League

He was at one point. Not sure about the timeline. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Vandy zeroing in on Jerry Stackhouse
  • 2 weeks later...

Stackhouse trying to field a roster of former NBA player’s sons lol. Got Scotty Pippen Jr now lands Kenyon Martin Jr.

Archived