Let's play a game...

bigbird

Against UVA, who would you start, how would you attack their defense, and how would you defend against their offense?

Give us your line up and your game plan.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harper 

brown

mclemore

purifoy 

Dunbar

I would definitely go small with speed and utilize shooters for this packline defense. Granted rebounding would be hard as hell but I am hoping for the long rebounds. I want to bring that big ogre from the paint and make him guard. I also would do full court pressure and maybe, maybe match up zone although we are quite undisicpline at times in that. 

I'd go even smaller...

1: JVon

2: Harper

3: BB/Doughty

4: Purifoy/Dunbar

5: Mac

That would allow us to drive, dish, and drop from all 5 positions.

I'd run sets attacking from the wing ...packlineoffense6.png

packlineoffense7.png

...And from the baseline

packlineoffense8.png

packlineoffense9new.png

Harper, brown, Dunbar, purifoy, spencer. 

I would press full court from the tip, lots of ball pressure. And run on every possession. Even on made shots take it out of the net and force it up the court fast as possible to try to influence a faster pace. Just my opinion, but if we play their half court style it will be tough for us to win, if we can make them run up and down the court as much as possible we win fairly easily.

Disclaimer: I’m no expert.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd go even smaller...

I'd run sets attacking from the wing ...packlineoffense6.png

packlineoffense7.png

...And from the baseline

packlineoffense8.png

packlineoffense9new.png

I like the idea of using Harper, brown and jvon on the court together some as well. 

15 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I like the idea of using Harper, brown and jvon on the court together some as well. 

It would take any ball handling away from BB and put him in a better position to be a spot up shooter...which is his strength.

Agree -- the Brown dribble-dancing would not be of much use against UVA.

I'd go with Harper/McCormick to penetrate, McLemore inside but to pull defender out as he is a 3 point threat, Brown and Purifoy on the perimeter.

I'd also run some screens for Brown. They contest 3s, but they don't like to put 2 defenders out on top, because it opens the paint for drives and passes.

Harper 

Brown

Doughty

Purifoy

Mc

I'd start small and see if we could drive to pick up some fouls early. We had success driving to the basket against Kentucky late in the game. We will hit a stretch where we will need a bigger lineup as adjustments are made. Gotta get those long rebounds off of our missed 3s. Keep playing tenacious D. 

Note:  I am not a basketball coach. This is just my uneduMAcated thoughts. 

WAR EAGLE!!! 

So we are all in agreement in starting small and pulling their size out ?

I loved the way Okeke would take Maye off the dribble during the UNC game. I am hoping we have a small line up that could do the same to neutralize their bigs.

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It would take any ball handling away from BB and put him in a better position to be a spot up shooter...which is his strength.

Yes I like the JVon and Harper combo at some point early, but not to start. Jared has been too prone to fouls early in the game lately.  Maybe having both in there would save him a little bit defensively from fouling. Either way JVon gets early minutes and a good bit of them. 

I actually think Doughty could do well this game. He has come a long way in his comfort level in the big game.   I would think the game plan is to work the 3 ball early.  If Bryce is hot early,  it would help us set the tone for the game. That is why he is most definitely going to start.  I bet we heat check early. Doughty would fit in primarily with his defense.  He is the best at getting steals on the ball with his quick hands.  I can see him out there to try to get steals from a Virginia team that is very protective of the ball, thus giving us more opportunities to run.  When Virginia does get back,  Doughty is excellent as a spot shooter if we are quick around the perimeter like we were against UT in SEC champ game.  Game plan is to find ways to push the pace early, and see who is hot from 3. We have to be willing to adapt if we aren't hitting.  Big question is what does Virginia do differently defensively? How do they play us early? 

I guess my starting 5:

Jared, Bryce, Danjel, Dunbar, Mac

2nd group:

JVon, Jared, Doughty, Horace, Wiley

I think you have to keep either Horace or Mac in the game to handle the goofy kid down low for Virginia.  Just seems like a good matchup for Horace. 

What in the hell kinda world is this- it's April and we're diagramming AUBURN BASKETBALL plays 😳

Having said that...

Run the StJoes offense from several years ago when they went 30-2 or something ridiculous before losing late in the tournament. They ran Jameer Nelson, Delonte West, and 2 other guards with 1 big that year. We have the team to do it and this defense is perfect to show the look.

03 04 St Joe's

I'd say Spencer, Harper, Brown, Doughty, McCormick. Dribble drives and kick out with lots of motion and screens to free up shooters.

Rotate in Wiley and McLemore for Spencer.

Rotate in Dunbar and Purifoy for Doughty and McCormick.

51 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

What in the hell kinda world is this- it's April and we're diagramming AUBURN BASKETBALL plays 😳

Having said that...

Run the StJoes offense from several years ago when they went 30-2 or something ridiculous before losing late in the tournament. They ran Jameer Nelson, Delonte West, and 2 other guards with 1 big that year. We have the team to do it and this defense is perfect to show the look.

03 04 St Joe's

I'd say Spencer, Harper, Brown, Doughty, McCormick. Dribble drives and kick out with lots of motion and screens to free up shooters.

Rotate in Wiley and McLemore for Spencer.

Rotate in Dunbar and Purifoy for Doughty and McCormick.

Kick out to Spencer for 3  right?

Well Mac has to start cause we want to get that opening tip (has there been any he hasn’t gotten this season?) then Harper, Brown, Dunbar, Spencer. Offense have at least 4 on perimeter at all times and show 5. Only way we speed them up is hit 3s and get them down early. On defense just do what we’ve been doing. Extend the defense and pressure the ball. Fight on every possession cause everyone will most likely count. 

I think spencer get the start but I see us going small lineups early and often if it works. Pearl will give his senior the start though 

I don’t know how to make the lineup. I’ll leave that to BP.

I have enjoyed seeing Purifoy on the defensive glass. He’s not getting double digits but he’s blocking out better than our other bigs. I think his boxing has helped rebounds that went to our other players.

I don’t understand why every time Wiley makes a play/ scores he immediately comes out. I just wish he had better hands. 

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

No kidding!

start small, make certain Doughty plays early and give him a tough assignment.  Doughty was HUGE for us on Tyler Hero

And contest everything.  Nobody has mentioned this ( I don't think ), but contesting all the inbounds (even after our made field goals) and every pass and every dribble wears players out mentally.   I think that is the #1 reason we have run so many teams off the floor in the 3rd QTR.    It's a page out of Nolan Richardson's book.

My advice is to get the ball often, run like he!!, and shoot a lot of 3s. 😂😂😂

I wish I knew more about basketball, but I have had an incredibly fun time watching and learning a bit. Yep, I’m a bandwagonner when it comes to basketball. But it’s AU and I love all things AU. 

I'd love to have Mac start giving us 5 shooters but I'd be afraid that Mac would pick up quick fouls on the defensive end. I'd probably still go with

Harper, Brown, Samir, Dunbar, Mac

test the waters seeing if they could guard well without picking up quick fouls. If not i'd not hesitate to rotate Spencer in for Mac. I think Spencer needs to play smart and let his length and try hard attitude frustrate Virginia if possible.

17 hours ago, DAG said:

Harper 

brown

mclemore

purifoy 

Dunbar

I would definitely go small with speed and utilize shooters for this packline defense. Granted rebounding would be hard as hell but I am hoping for the long rebounds. I want to bring that big ogre from the paint and make him guard. I also would do full court pressure and maybe, maybe match up zone although we are quite undisicpline at times in that. 

If the big ogre is Salt, he won't be in the game if that's the Auburn lineup. UVA would go small with Clark/Guy/Jerome/Hunter/Diakite or even getting Braxton Key into the mix at one of the big spots. (Curious to think what Auburn fans think of his game, having seen him the past two years at that other school.)

If we could pull it off, I'd sneak Barkley into a uniform and insert him at the post position at half time.  I'm sure it would give the team and the crowd quite a boost.

37 minutes ago, Birdfan said:

If we could pull it off, I'd sneak Barkley into a uniform and insert him at the post position at half time.  I'm sure it would give the team and the crowd quite a boost.

I know Golf won't, but I appreciate your name.

42 minutes ago, Birdfan said:

Humm birdfan??????????????????????????????????? Something smells fishy just joined today????? Got to keep an eye on you

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Humm birdfan??????????????????????????????????? Something smells fishy 

Take a bath

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd go even smaller...

I agree with this lineup although we would be sacrificing rebounds. The truth is that points are going to be hard to come by against UVA and that starts by hitting 3s. All of those guys in your starting 5 can hit 3s - even Mac. Also mac MUST stay out of foul trouble like he did in the KY game. 

I am pretty sure he will go with the same group that started the last game. 

Archived