Let's play a game...

bigbird

10 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Just like they practice it...

I hope they didn't practice that brick he threw at the rim. Needed some mortar with that brick.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Humm birdfan??????????????????????????????????? Something smells fishy just joined today????? Got to keep an eye on you

Bird fan here too, this one. Actually I like them both.

Screenshot_20190403-204121~2.png

14 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I hope they didn't practice that brick he threw at the rim. Needed some mortar with that brick.

There was a fraction of a second when the ball was in the air where I thought to myself "omg omg omg Horace going to bank this in for the win"

lol then reality hit me in the face as hard as the ball clanked off the rim

55 minutes ago, Tiger said:

There was a fraction of a second when the ball was in the air where I thought to myself "omg omg omg Horace going to bank this in for the win"

lol then reality hit me in the face as hard as the ball clanked off the rim

But what an amazing end of career type story that would've been for one of the guys that laid the foundation to our future success

Just now, bigbird said:

But what an amazing end of career type story that would've been for one of the guys that laid the foundation to our future success

Exactly and that was the storybook ending that I had playing in my head as that ball floated towards the basket and was so obviously off to the left lol

When I saw it leave his hands, I thought he might hit the side of the backboard. Your hope made you think storybook; my cynicism made me think it was worse than it was.

To answer @Wahoo2003's question, Key can play. He's not a dynamic scorer and no threat from deep, but he's an athlete and a player. Lengthy kid with athleticism. I think he's going to play a good bit in this game because I don't think Jerome is going to feel comfortable in this game. I suspect Hunter and Key will be the wildcards for UVA, offensively especially.

From stephen hooks, who was at practice today:" loosest bunch that i have ever seen"

hopefully, this is a sign that the lights are not to big, or they are going to be wound too tight like me.....might be different when they run out in front of 70,000 though

I have been wondering if Mustafa and / or Murray are wishing they had hung around. I don’t remember for sure but Herron might not have had a choice?  

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Everybody would have loved it to go in and seen Horace carried off on someone's shoulders, no doubt. 

On 4/2/2019 at 6:24 PM, bigbird said:

I'd go even smaller...

1: JVon

2: Harper

3: BB/Doughty

4: Purifoy/Dunbar

5: Mac

That would allow us to drive, dish, and drop from all 5 positions.

I'd run sets attacking from the wing ...packlineoffense6.png

packlineoffense7.png

...And from the baseline

packlineoffense8.png

packlineoffense9new.png

were you not recruited by several schools because of your rather large wing span? and how did we get so lucky?

15 hours ago, alexava said:

I have been wondering if Mustafa and / or Murray are wishing they had hung around. I don’t remember for sure but Herron might not have had a choice?  

All 3 transfers -- Davion Mitchell as well -- have seemed to be happy for AU and their former teammates from what I've seen bounced around the AU social media world

I'll just jump in on the lineup:

Off the bench (order depending on situation, but this way if we start well):

Harper                                  Purifoy                 

Brown                                   McCormack

Dunbar                                 Wiley

McLemore                            Doughty

Spencer

With the team available now I'd play javon, Harper, Brown, a Mac, Wiley. I like the idea of the added ball handling. Virginia's point is very good and I don't see us being able to change tempo messing him up so we need to try to effect it on the other end. I feel us winning will be dependent on making them play our game as opposed to us playing theirs. 

Need Brown to be accurate this game. Need to use Wiley this game. This match up today is pretty much the match up I'd be talking about we need to be able to play two ways. If we are shooting alot without establishing an inside game and we're not hitting we will fall into their trap.

Also Harper can't get into foul trouble early

Harper

Brown

Doughty

Purifoy

Wiley

I'd want my three best outside shooters in the lineup, a flex player in Purifoy who has some size, and the big man.

Reason I have Wiley in there is to try and force the pack line down just a bit further towards the basket, which should open up those outside guys.  Also need some help on the glass and he could be beneficial there.

On 4/2/2019 at 6:48 PM, bigbird said:

It would take any ball handling away from BB and put him in a better position to be a spot up shooter...which is his strength.

While this isn’t normally true. Is nobody gonna bring up the fact that he destroyed Tyler Herro off his own dribble with mid ranges?

36 minutes ago, ReidMcLain said:

While this isn’t normally true.

So you think BB is a good ball handler?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Also Harper can't get into foul trouble early

fact dat.....i went over the outstanding post and thread about the defense that VA plays using the still shots provided, then looked up video of a couple of their games to watch it operate....wiley could be huge if he can just not be a bull in a china shop....doughty and purifoy may have to win this game with their outside shooting

21 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

fact dat.....i went over the outstanding post and thread about the defense that VA plays using the still shots provided, then looked up video of a couple of their games to watch it operate....wiley could be huge if he can just not be a bull in a china shop....doughty and purifoy may have to win this game with their outside shooting

Seems in past years the refs have been less quick to blow the whistle.....hope that's the case today....and as noted, JH  needs to avoid needless fouls in the backcourt 

1 hour ago, ReidMcLain said:

While this isn’t normally true. Is nobody gonna bring up the fact that he destroyed Tyler Herro off his own dribble with mid ranges?

Herro isn't good on defense at all. But seeing the midrange game was awesome. Just him being smart and knowing how to attack a defense. 

I’d probably go with Harper, Brown, Samir/Malik, Purifoy, and Anfernee.

I like putting Brown/Samir on Kyle Guy/Ty Jerome and Purifoy on Hunter. I just hope Jared can be aggressive without fouling. I like having AMac in to have 5 outside capable guys, but I also like having Wiley in to pull the pack line inside a few feet as @Brad_ATX explicitly mentioned. Although this results in two slightly different offenses depending on who is at the 5.

Ultimately, unless we are on a big run with a certain lineup, I would throw different lineups at them throughout the game. If depth is one of our advantages, we should use it to the fullest

34 minutes ago, ReidMcLain said:

Not at all. But I was glad he could create what he did versus Kentucky.

Was just making sure. I agree. His pull up jumper could really expand his game. I wish Wiley could hit that 15 ft free throw line extended jumper.

who should start?...what lineup combo to use?.....unlike the situation with football, i have the utmost confidence in bruce pearl to give us the best chance to win.....win or lose, i know that he has done the absolute best he can to help these guys prepare....its up to them now....oh by the way:....i was listening to a live report from minneapolis a while ago, and the guy was raving about how many AU folks were there....estimate was over 20,000 and climbing

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Was just making sure. I agree. His pull up jumper could really expand his game. I wish Wiley could hit that 15 ft free throw line extended jumper.

I would like for him to hit the uncontested free throws too  :)

Archived