Men vs. Virginia - game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cole256 said:

Stuff I see. Doughty playing though. Can't ask for him to do any more on defense. He's attacking the rim without any sense of urgency though. 3 shots blocked because he hadn't turned the switch on. 

Pace will take care of itself if we play our game. 

Don't fall into the trap, we can attack the goal

Good things happen when the ball touches the high post. Like every single time. Somebody besides me has to see this.

The defense collapses on the driver when we go to the rim.  We should have somebody follow him and drop the ball back to the follower for an open 5 footer. 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

My response to anybody saying things that could jynx it

1E3BC781-F603-4A3E-AFF5-3705404F3C87.jpeg

If it helps, I'm not even watching or paying attention to it. Just refreshing this thread every so often.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ahh don't jynx it lol

Got ya. 

images.jpeg

Forgive my lack of basketball IQ, but it looks to me like we’re making those tough inside shots, and with those threes not falling yet, that is a great sign. An even better sign is I see flashes of that speed and pace we want to play. If we get that going  and those threes in the second half (like I believed we will) then watch out.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd still like to put Harper at the 2 for the match up and JVon's driving

Samir is doing ok on defense though. About as ok as anybody is going to do at least. Could we mess that up?

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't fall into the trap, we can attack the goal

And the baseline is open as an alley to drive and dish to the backside corner

My nerves are shot.  I’m watching this game on an iPad on the turnpike north of Orlando.  So far, so good. 😬 I have to be a bit more subdued, because I’m with my Vols brother and sister-in-law.  They are rooting for Auburn, though.  My mojo is all screwed up, so I am counting on all of y’all.  War Eagle!!!!

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

The defense collapses on the driver when we go to the rim.  We should have somebody follow him and drop the ball back to the follower for an open 5 footer. 

Right. That happens when the ball enters into the high post, with a Mac engaged the way he is we could exploit that

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Samir is doing ok on defense though. About as ok as anybody is going to do at least. Could we mess that up?

Leave Doughty in at 3 for his D or sub BB for the shooting, but the drive and dish is wide open

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

This is what I'm seeing. Drive and follow.

I must say I REALLY enjoy talking basketball with you guys and not fighting I might add. This is awesome

1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

This mofo Jerome is key to the Cavaliers this game. If we contain him in the 2nd half, we play Monday for the marbles. 

Still have to hope we continue to corral guy and co

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd still like to put Harper at the 2 for the match up and JVon's driving

Interesting.  Thought the offense looked much better with JVon in. Although Harper did have some nice finishes. I like Birds idea!!

We need to follow our shots more. There was chances to get more offensive rebounds. Overall I like where we are we can play straight up with them. If 3’s start falling well blow it open. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I must say I REALLY enjoy talking basketball with you guys and not fighting I might add. This is awesome

It's amazing how civil everyone can be when we're playing with house money! 🙋‍♂️Hi fives all around.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I hate you and your breath stinks. Come at me, bro! 

I know Virginia isn't committing to offensive rebounds but that makes it all the more critical on the rebounding defensively.  Late in half, Virginia is facing contested shots inside the arc as well, and we are doing a good job with the rebounds.  Let's play their pace defensively get the stop, and the rebound.  Get the smart bucket and slowly pull away.  Virginia will start to press and then wax them.

This is definitely a game we have to force the officials to give us 2 foul shots as Cole has mentioned all year. 

Archived