A Super Bowl bid and a national title game bid screwed up by terrible no-calls

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Thanks for the heads up.

I've mostly given up complaining about it. Really, my initial response to you here was a pissy, passive-aggressive Monday morning gripe about that. And I'm a Falcons fan. :)

Apologies, didn't know you weren't aware of that. Not sure which mods enforce it. 

The Saints definitely got jobbed. And so did the basketball team. And I'm'a stay pissed about one of those facts. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

I despise the argument of, "Well, you shouldn't have put yourself in that position in the first place." No kidding. That's an ideal situation, much like it's ideal that a football game never comes down to a kid having to make a last second field goal. However, these people have jobs for a reason, and when the game is on the line is when they should be doing their best work.

I get tired of that argument as well. In a perfect world we’d be up by ten. We were playing in the final four though and it’s not always smooth sailing at that point. From New Mexico State and going forward, there were only good teams left in the tournament. 

To those that don’t think a game can be determined in one bad call, see the Saints-Rams game. 

On 4/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, auburnphan said:

It just sucks to have watched the dream of these players ripped from them by the incompetence of an officiating crew who are suppose to be the best.  They did not deserve to go out like that.  

It so hard to get to the final four and even harder to get to the championship game. Auburn got to the final four and should be in the championship game tonight. It was taken from them by three men who are supposed to be experts and are paid for what they do.

If an official is going to call a debatable shooting foul on a three point shot with less than one second to play he had better be sure that they have been perfect on all of the rest of the officiating for the game. Otherwise they become the story and not the game. That is always a failure for officials.

I wonder how those three men are feeling today, knowing that their error sent a team home that should be in the game tonight. If they have ever played the game they surely know how hard the team worked to get there and how difficult it will be to get back. They made a mistake (the no call on the double dribble) that can never be rectified.

I suspect the NCAA is secretly hoping that Virginia loses tonight so that this entire sad saga will fade into history. Otherwise it will be resurrected every time Virginia's national championship is discussed.

10 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Lets not group Auburn and the Saints together.  FTS

Both got screwed. Deal with it 

2 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Great response by Bruce but no. Auburn has made it to the final four one whole time. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Great response by Bruce but no. Auburn has made it to the final four one whole time. 

Be honest. Did you even notice the double dribble?  Who actually was screaming double dribble at your TV?  None of the players reacted to it either. I've played my whole life and I didn't catch it until the announcers brought it up, I was watching off ball.

I was more pissed about Brown fouling Jerome when he did.  When Jerome dribbled it off his foot he kind of went into a panic mode, threw off his timing.  I know he was hot at the time, but it just seemed like we gave them a 2nd chance fouling him there.

Be honest. Did you even notice the double dribble?  Who actually was screaming double dribble at your TV?  None of the players reacted to it either. I've played my whole life and I didn't catch it until the announcers brought it up, I was watching off ball.

I was more pissed about Brown fouling Jerome when he did.  When Jerome dribbled it off his foot he kind of went into a panic mode, threw off his timing.  I know he was hot at the time, but it just seemed like we gave them a 2nd chance fouling him there.

Your question wasn't for me but I noticed it immediately. I was yelling it out loud because my wife looked at me asking what I was upset about. I haven't watched the game again and I won't because I deleted it. I can't watch games like that over again. 

Just now, atl-tiger said:

Be honest. Did you even notice the double dribble

Did I have the same view as the refs that was literally standing in great position to make the call? Was I emotionally unaffected by the moment? I can’t say I noticed much...after I started pacing after the desperation three with 6 seconds left went in.

I've played my whole life and I didn't catch it until the announcers brought it up, I was watching off ball.

I have too. And it’s a double dribble. Just more unique than the normal calls. We weren’t paid 2,000 to make those calls which they should be able to make in their sleep. I can guarantee you I will continue to miss fouls and penalties as games go on, and my lack of attentiveness as a fan 1000 miles away, will never make uncalled fouls or penalties okay to be missed.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:36 PM, TitanTiger said:

You do realize that wasn't Auburn in that clip you posted, right?

I did, but i understand the point. As the referee even in this game didnt pick up the double dribble. 2 points to be made:

1. Refs definitely need to get additional instructions on understanding this error, how it occurs and that they know it is double dribble if a player bounces it off his body, goes to pick it up with 2 hands, always acoording to the rule...double dribble.

2. I wish the Virginia player would have dribbled it just a little farther so, he either can't get a shot off as time expires, or he has to chunk it 40 ft for the win.

Just now, steeleagle said:

I did, but i understand the point. As the referee even in this game didnt pick up the double dribble. 2 points to be made:

1. Refs definitely need to get additional instructions on understanding this error, how it occurs and that they know it is double dribble if a player bounces it off his body, goes to pick it up with 2 hands, always acoording to the rule...double dribble.

2. I wish the Virginia player would have dribbled it just a little farther so, he either can't get a shot off as time expires, or he has to chunk it 40 ft for the win.

Here's the thing though - it wasn't even that hard to pick up.  You didn't even have to notice he kicked it.  He lost control of the ball and went and grabbed it with both hands then started dribbling again.  Any referee calling a YMCA game for 10 year olds knows that call has to be made.

Lol you can't be dribbling, lose your handle, pick it up with 2 hands, then continue dribbling again. I'm actually surprised Jerome was dumb enough to pick it back up and keep trying to dribble as that was a major blunder on his part as well. But pointing to any number of people's ignorance of some of the rules of basketball does not excuse a paid professional 5 feet away botching that call in the most critical of moments. It just doesn't and it's an incredibly dumb argument to try to make to be quite honest. The basic rule violation that occurred on that play that went uncalled is flatly inexcusable for someone who's job it is to officiate the game. It just is.

It's not even a subjective call like the foul on the 3. It's the rule.

4 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

THIS

Also like I said before the player's didn't react to it. The coaches didn't appear to react to it. The announcers didn't react to it. Even after the game the analysts said they didn't realize it. The refs are ABSOLUTELY paid to get it right and didn't. But Auburn did not shoot the ball like they had all tournament long. 

How many times do we all say "the wide receivers dropped 10 passes today and cost us the game"  ? Sometimes a lack of execution comes back to bit you. 

29% 3 pt fg

38 % fg overall 

It was just the worst time to miss so many shots against that type defensive team. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

21 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

Also like I said before the player's didn't react to it. The coaches didn't appear to react to it. The announcers didn't react to it. Even after the game the analysts said they didn't realize it. 

No offense, but this is still irrelevant. Many that didn’t react probably either thought Bryce touched the ball or didn’t see him pick the ball up. 

21 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

Sometimes a lack of execution comes back to bit you. 

29% 3 pt fg

38 % fg overall 

It was just the worst time to miss so many shots against that type defensive team. 

We finished great and put ourselves ahead at end of the game. What happened before is just as irrelevant as your first point. 

We were playing against an unique defense that is very strong on opponent 3 point percentage  in a large stadium with three players sick and our best player out. Our shooting woes were pretty incredible but it’s not like we haven’t seen it before.

5 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

I'm sooooo sick and tired of seeing this "argument" about no one noticing the double-dribble. I've seen it all over twitter, I've seen it posted on this site. Let me say it nice and loud for everyone: WE ARE NOT THE REFS WHO GET PAID TO MAKE THOSE CALLS! 

That is their freaking job! To make the calls on the floor when they're staring right at it. If I got paid to do a job and I failed at that job I would be reprimanded or fired. Plain and simple. Either learn the rules, make the calls, or quit your job and do something different. It's not a judgement call like the shooting foul was. It is the RULES of the game and they absolutely, positively, screwed Auburn out of the win. 

Honestly though, if he is just going to tell us to get over it, then maybe he should get over every foul that doesn't go Auburn's way. It was a weak statement. I'm curious to know if the NCAA had anything to do with that prior to his appearance on the network. 

Could anyone clarify a rule for me though, as someone who primarily watches the NBA. Down the stretch when Harper was fouled while the ball was out of bounds, isn't that usually a technical? So two freethrows and possession? I may be wrong.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

No offense, but this is still irrelevant. Many that didn’t react probably either thought Bryce touched the ball or didn’t see him pick the ball up. 

We finished great and put ourselves ahead at end of the game. What happened before is just as irrelevant as your first point. 

We were playing against an unique defense that is very strong on opponent 3 point percentage  in a large stadium with three players sick and our best player out. Our shooting woes were pretty incredible but it’s not like we haven’t seen it before.

Both of those points are just as relevant as any of yours. They are all just opinions. We did finish great but there was a lot of time before that finish where the shots didn't fall. And that unique defense had a lot to do with it. I  also agree that the sickness and injuries didn't help. Our shooting woes were incredible and this time it bit us. I  may not agree with everyone else's opinions on this but I respect them so I  won't say yours are irrelevant. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

40 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Honestly though, if he is just going to tell us to get over it, then maybe he should get over every foul that doesn't go Auburn's way. It was a weak statement. I'm curious to know if the NCAA had anything to do with that prior to his appearance on the network. 

Not really a weak statement. He was trying to get his players to stop thinking about it and start working to next year. Not to mention, I'm fairly certain he would be in some trouble from the NCAA if he went and called out the officials. Classy statement from a classy Auburn man.

Time for everyone to move on from the gut wrenching loss.  I am just about over it and have quit complaining about the robbery.

Glorious season!  Thanks to the team and the coaches! 

14 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Not really a weak statement. He was trying to get his players to stop thinking about it and start working to next year. Not to mention, I'm fairly certain he would be in some trouble from the NCAA if he went and called out the officials. Classy statement from a classy Auburn man.

I'm not with him on "getting over it." If he can't speak the truth without being in trouble then maybe the NCAA should be disbanded. Officials should be held accountable.

1 hour ago, AU Is Gold said:

I've heard that the NCAA had a lengthy discussion with him after the game. We'll never find out exactly what was said.

7 minutes ago, Kaiiu said:

I've heard that the NCAA had a lengthy discussion with him after the game. We'll never find out exactly what was said.

You've heard right. 

Archived