Who comes back next year?

TexasTiger

Don’t forget Wiley reclassified and came out of hs early, so maybe another year would help him!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wiley reminds me somewhat of Jeremy Johnson.  He's had some flashes but it seems the game's too fast for him. I believe he could use another year to build his confidence and hone his skills. All told, with the suspension and injuries he's really just barely played a whole season.

They all come back. Except the seniors. I don’t think Okeke has another choice now. He’ll be back too. 

We lose 100% of our never scared toughness going into next year. You can't ask a freshman to come in and be a tone-setter like that. I don't know how we fill that void but it is going to be soooorely missed in addition to Bryce Brown hitting the devastating transition 3s. Damn I'm going to miss our seniors

23 hours ago, Tiger said:

We lose 100% of our never scared toughness going into next year. You can't ask a freshman to come in and be a tone-setter like that. I don't know how we fill that void but it is going to be soooorely missed in addition to Bryce Brown hitting the devastating transition 3s. Damn I'm going to miss our seniors

I'm just not so sure Harper leaves

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm just not so sure Harper leaves

I hope you're right man. It's been mentioned that Maclemore has told Brandon Marcello that Harper is gone.

Also my post was more about our team toughness. Harper brought a lot to the table but he wasn't the "muscle" that Horace and Malik were. They were the guys who were aggressively going after everything and never backed down to anyone. Not saying Harper isn't tough -- he's one tough little PG -- but it's not the same as Horace and Malik. The edge they played with will be missed big time

Don’t get me wrong. I love Harper. I just don’t see him in the NBA. I don’t think there’s any way he leaves. 

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I hope you're right man. It's been mentioned that Maclemore has told Brandon Marcello that Harper is gone.

Also my post was more about our team toughness. Harper brought a lot to the table but he wasn't the "muscle" that Horace and Malik were. They were the guys who were aggressively going after everything and never backed down to anyone. Not saying Harper isn't tough -- he's one tough little PG -- but it's not the same as Horace and Malik. The edge they played with will be missed big time

I think McLemore can make up for some of that from what I saw the other night. He played fearless on the defensive end and carried the team on the glass. They will be missed though

14 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I think McLemore can make up for some of that from what I saw the other night. He played fearless on the defensive end and carried the team on the glass. They will be missed though

Mac had games where he looked like his old self and others where he didn't. Vs UVA he was his old self. The inconsistency was to be expected 1 year from the awful injury he endured though so it was understandable. I think next year we see him back to the Mac that was a big time force for us in 2018.

40 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yep I see your point, I agree. In regards to Harper, I have trouble seeing what he gains by going pro now. I'm not optimistic that he'll get drafted this season, but he may start next season high up the board somewhere. Marcello tries to break this negative stuff for Auburn early all the time and is right about half the time. Harper has been pretty vocal about wanting to make the right decision, and while I'm not saying he certainly won't leave, I don't think it's the right call to move on yet

44 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Yep I see your point, I agree. In regards to Harper, I have trouble seeing what he gains by going pro now. I'm not optimistic that he'll get drafted this season, but he may start next season high up the board somewhere. Marcello tries to break this negative stuff for Auburn early all the time and is right about half the time. Harper has been pretty vocal about wanting to make the right decision, and while I'm not saying he certainly won't leave, I don't think it's the right call to move on yet

That's fair. I can see the argument for both sides. He may think his draft stock can only marginally be improved due to his height and feels he put enough on film against elite competition that he's ready to take his shot now. Or he may think he would improve his stock significantly by adding a consistent pull-up or a floater to his game once he gets by the first defender.

In my worthless opinion, he could be a first team All-American next year and I would still bet that he would not be drafted in the first round. Guys his size are not prioritized in the draft -- see Isaiah Thomas as last pick. Some team is going to put him on their summer league squad regardless. It may not be about the draft at all to him but more about being ready to work on making making and keeping a spot in the NBA.

Edit: I saw Nate Robinson was actually a first round pick. But he is more freak athlete playing basketball rather than being a basketball player. I think Harper is a basketball player.

32 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That's fair. I can see the argument for both sides. He may think his draft stock can only marginally be improved due to his height and feels he put enough on film against elite competition that he's ready to take his shot now. Or he may think he would improve his stock significantly by adding a consistent pull-up or a floater to his game once he gets by the first defender.

In my worthless opinion, he could be a first team All-American next year and I would still bet that he would not be drafted in the first round. Guys his size are not prioritized in the draft -- see Isaiah Thomas as last pick. Some team is going to put him on their summer league squad regardless. It may not be about the draft at all to him but more about being ready to work on making making and keeping a spot in the NBA.

He won't even get SEC 1st team recognition, as long as Pearl is here. I have decided we are going to get media biases toward even our players bc so many out there don't like Pearl bc of his history....

But I do agree, Harper may feel he has gone as far as he can in his development, and with his positive play in post season, he has the best chance now to at least get drafted high enough to give him a chance...

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He won't even get SEC 1st team recognition, as long as Pearl is here. I have decided we are going to get media biases toward even our players bc so many out there don't like Pearl bc of his history....

But I do agree, Harper may feel he has gone as far as he can in his development, and with his positive play in post season, he has the best chance now to at least get drafted high enough to give him a chance...

So you are suggesting that he does not see the possibility of an SEC championship and a run deep into the Tournament?   JMO but if he were confident about those possibilities he might want to be the guy who leads the way.  :dunno:

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So you are suggesting that he does not see the possibility of an SEC championship and a run deep into the Tournament?   JMO but if he were confident about those possibilities he might want to be the guy who leads the way.  :dunno:

I selfishly hope he returns but he probably has a thousand things running through his mind. His developmental ceiling at his size hurts him for the NBA, so he may feel it’s as high as he can go in that regard, returning would be more of a pride thing. He probably also worries about injury, he took a couple nasty looking falls during March, so he may think that could forever ruin his chance at an NBA shot.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I selfishly hope he returns but he probably has a thousand things running through his mind. His developmental ceiling at his size hurts him for the NBA, so he may feel it’s as high as he can go in that regard, returning would be more of a pride thing. He probably also worries about injury, he took a couple nasty looking falls during March, so he may think that could forever ruin his chance at an NBA shot.

Agree. Not to mention he got an up close and personal look how quickly things can change with Chuma's injury.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

No, i think he is thinking more about his future after college, so if he declares and tests the waters, gets a fairly decent rating, then he is gone.

I don't think in basketball, Harper is thinking about if he can bring another SEC championship to AU. He knows we will be losing our best shooter, and possibly our best player(Chuma) or our biggest player (Wiley). He knows it could be a rebuilding team, and that could add to his reasons for leaving...

Harper can’t risk a Chuma type injury.  It’s an uphill perception battle for him at his height.  He needs to go make money.

i predict Chuma will go pro even if it’s second round - assuming an nba team will invest a multi year contract into him because of his upside.  That could be a genius move by one of the better nba teams who can take a bit of a risk that he gets healthy.  His upside!

ive predicted Wiley leaves because of his injury history.  3 times in 2 years?!  Time to rehab while getting paid.

i wish they all come back!

if purifoy will put the work in and fulfill all that crazy praise CBP gave him 2 years ago, this could be his team next year.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Don’t get me wrong. I love Harper. I just don’t see him in the NBA. I don’t think there’s any way he leaves. 

I selfishly wish you’d have been right but Jared coming back would have been a waste, at least from a business perspective. Dude is hot as he’ll ever be. May not be NBA but he’ll be making money somewhere. 

No disrespect but it's like many of you think that you have to average 20 and 10 to go to the NBA. You can see the tools and tell by the way a guy plays if he's special or not. You don't have to be a hall of famer to play in the NBA. You need size and if you don't have it a special skill set....like I don't understand how people thought chumma wasn't going to be a first rounder; downing Wiley like he's a scrub, surprised by Harper....and once again no disrespect, I just think maybe if you haven't been into basketball lately that maybe some set the bar too high. 

There is nothing Harper could do to make people think he's any better than he is right now, if he's going to go this is the time to go. Plus the point guard class isn't too strong in this draft class

Not sure where to post this, so it's going here. @cole256 , and any others that want to play along.

This will be complete speculation based on some know commodities and a lot of lofty potential. That said, there isn't a right or wrong answer or scenario to this, so have fun with it.

Next year we have J'Von, Turbo, J. Johnson, Doughty, Flannigan, and hypothetically Sharife. So, with regards to the 1,2,&3, who plays where and what rotation(s) do you see being the, 1. Most productive and 2. Most dynamic/dangerous. Also, do we get Purifoy to drop weight and finally let him play his natural 3?

1 Jvon/Turbo

2 Doughty/Johnson/Al Flan

3 Purifoy/Okoro

4 -- who do we have that can play 4? Danjel/Jaylin/Mac next to Wiley?

5 Mac/Wiley if he stays/Babatunde

Unless I'm forgetting someone as of today it feels like our 4 spot seems like it could need some help

1 Jvon/Turbo

2 Johnson/Al Flan

3 Doughty/Okoro

4. Purifoy/Jaylin

5. Mac/Wiley/Baba

Thats how i see it playing out but it is pure speculation cause i still expect some rooster movement and plus i've never seen a lot of these guys play. 

Archived