Team returns to Auburn Arena.

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, SlocombTiger said:

Legit question here. No disrespect intended. What's the difference in retiring the numbers and hanging the jerseys in the rafters?  I  understand those numbers wouldn't be used if retired but what else makes you feel that way? 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Like with the Miami Heat for example, they put Jordan's jersey in the rafters and they retired #23. But someone like Dallas (Cowboys) doesnt retire any numbers, they dont believe in it. I think you should honor your players, but once you retire numbers, that's it. And when you get to franchises like I believe the...Yankees? one of those baseball clubs, they have dozens of numbers retired. 

I think we're going to have a ton of players deemed as the most successful in Auburn ball over the next couple years. Chuma should probably merit his number being retired if he gives another year or two like this one. Okoro and Cooper are gonna be all time great talents that hopefully stay a few years. It's hard to quantify who's number should be retired and who shouldn't. But the rafters? that's more reasonable to me. I'd strongly consider putting Spencer's jersey in the rafters, but I couldn't consider retiring the 0

Basically, for teams without a ton of history, it becomes a narrow line on who's #s should be retired and who shouldn't, and there's really only so many attractive looking #s in basketball, unlike other major sports

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Like with the Miami Heat for example, they put Jordan's jersey in the rafters and they retired #23. But someone like Dallas (Cowboys) doesnt retire any numbers, they dont believe in it. I think you should honor your players, but once you retire numbers, that's it. And when you get to franchises like I believe the...Yankees? one of those baseball clubs, they have dozens of numbers retired. 

I think we're going to have a ton of players deemed as the most successful in Auburn ball over the next couple years. Chuma should probably merit his number being retired if he gives another year or two like this one. Okoro and Cooper are gonna be all time great talents that hopefully stay a few years. It's hard to quantify who's number should be retired and who shouldn't. But the rafters? that's more reasonable to me. I'd strongly consider putting Spencer's jersey in the rafters, but I couldn't consider retiring the 0

Great points. I'd be good with the jerseys hanging in the rafters after reading your explanation.

WAR EAGLE!!!

2 hours ago, SlocombTiger said:

Great points. I'd be good with the jerseys hanging in the rafters after reading your explanation.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Chuck Person should be a constant reminder of the downside of hanging or retiring jerseys.    I like displays along walls or something …where fans can easily see the jerseys and perhaps read a short bio of the player's accomplishments.  JMO but retiring a number should come with a high standard that transcends a few very good seasons at AU. :dunno:

Meanwhile...as to the OP.....that was a great reception by the fans......and should shake off some of the effects of the gut wrenching loss.  

The "downer" is...now it's back to class and back to work ...after weeks of emotional high.....it really hit me that way  today at least..

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Chuck Person should be a constant reminder of the downside of hanging or retiring jerseys.    I like displays along walls or something …where fans can easily see the jerseys and perhaps read a short bio of the player's accomplishments.  JMO but retiring a number should come with a high standard that transcends a few very good seasons at AU. :dunno:

Meanwhile...as to the OP.....that was a great reception by the fans......and should shake off some of the effects of the gut wrenching loss.  

The "downer" is...now it's back to class and back to work ...after weeks of emotional high.....it really hit me that way  today at least..

Chuck Persons lack of character shouldn't determine how these kids are honored. His jersey should have been removed the day he showed how little Auburn meant to him. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

No you can’t retire a number based on any of our current players resumes. No disrespect to any of them but if we continue to grow from this in the recruiting and contending aspects we’ll be out of eligible numbers in 20 years. Hang it up but keep using it. I would not have retired Cams #2 in football. Mainly because he was only here one year. 

Archived