SEC has a lot better Bball coaches than Fball

GwillMac6

Florida- Mike White slightly over Cousin Eddie since he has been to a Elite 8.

Georgia- Kirby> Crean.

Kentucky- Cal over Stoops obviously.

Mizzou- Odom > Cuonzo.

South Carolina- Frank Martin over Boom is a layup.

Rocky Top- Barnes> Pruitt easily.

Vandy- Derrick Mason? Meh. But he is better at this point than a unknown in Stackhouse.

Bama- I mean come on. 

Arkansas- Musselman over Chad Morris.

Auburn- Bruce with a healthy advantage over Gus.

LSU- Will Wade would be over Coach O but I doubt he survives till next season.

Ole Miss- Kermit hands down over Matt Luke.

Cowbell U- Ben Howland no contest over the dude who I do not even know his name lol.

TAMU- Jimbo over Buzz but Buzz is a beast.  

57 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Florida- Mike White slightly over Cousin Eddie since he has been to a Elite 8.

Georgia- Kirby> Crean.

Kentucky- Cal over Stoops obviously.

Mizzou- Odom > Cuonzo.

South Carolina- Frank Martin over Boom is a layup.

Rocky Top- Barnes> Pruitt easily.

Vandy- Derrick Mason? Meh. But he is better at this point than a unknown in Stackhouse.

Bama- I mean come on. 

Arkansas- Musselman over Chad Morris.

Auburn- Bruce with a healthy advantage over Gus.

LSU- Will Wade would be over Coach O but I doubt he survives till next season.

Ole Miss- Kermit hands down over Matt Luke.

Cowbell U- Ben Howland no contest over the dude who I do not even know his name lol.

TAMU- Jimbo over Buzz but Buzz is a beast.  

Interesting to see the names side by side. Thanks for posting this. 

12 minutes ago, SlocombTiger said:

Interesting to see the names side by side. Thanks for posting this. 

Absolutely!!! I enjoy topics of conversation like these. 

Rick Barnes has emerged as a strong candidate to UCLA.  According to Goodman, it might actually happen.

I don’t think Stoops is definitively worse than Cal. Recruiting is a strength one builds and Cal does that a higher level than just any bum could do so at UK, but it’s still UK. Stoops’s trajectory with the second most useless football program in the conference is very admirable. He may not be a better recruiter but he is definitely a better coach than a guy with one title over 10 years, who has around a #2 recruiting class on average over that stretch 

The SEC football HC crop was so good just a few years ago before Saban’s tempo adjustments leaned on the last adjustments a lot of guys had left. 2013-2014 seemed promising for the depth of the conference. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He may not be a better recruiter but he is definitely a better coach than a guy with one title over 10 years, who has around a #2 recruiting class on average over that stretch

By this logic he’s also better than Coach K which has made it to the final four two times the past 15 years. And that’s obviously not the case. Cal and K are elite coaches. Stoops is a technician that hasn’t won anything at all. College coaching  is the sum of recruiting and development. 

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

By this logic he’s also better than Coach K which has made it to the final four two times the past 15 years. And that’s obviously not the case. Cal and K are elite coaches. Stoops is a technician that hasn’t won anything at all. College coaching  is the sum of recruiting and development. 

Coach K is a tier above Calipari, so I dont know why you created this false equivalency. Calipari had recruited substantially better than K for the back half of the span I mentioned. 

Calipari is arguably one of the biggest underachievers relative to his talent ever, especially when you look at the graph (I cant find it right now) since his last deep postseason run, 2015.  He's getting outpaced by basically every name on that graph from Jay Wright and Beilein on, with presumably Tony Bennett catching up. You can look at it how you want, but Stoops is going to be a hotter commodity than Calipari going forward

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You can look at it how you want, but Stoops is going to be a hotter commodity than Calipari going forward

lol okay. 

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Coach K is a tier above Calipari, so I dont know why you created this false equivalency. 

I was just going by your own logic.

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

lol okay. 

I was just going by your own logic.

My logic applies to an elite recruiter and a terrible coach. Coach K isn't a terrible coach. He's far past his prime but he isn't terrible. Calipari in terms of pure coaching is on the bottom end of this conference 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Calipari in terms of pure coaching is on the bottom end of this conferenc

lol mmk.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:23 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You can look at it how you want, but Stoops is going to be a hotter commodity than Calipari going forward

Technically calipari is no longer a commodity since he has a lifetime contract at UK?  :)

19 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Technically calipari is no longer a commodity since he has a lifetime contract at UK?  :)

Unfortunate for UK

the fanbase is eventually going to get sick of recruiting championship 

Cal gets the top classes but they aren't around long enough to guarantee that they prove their worth as the top class. 

Problem is those rankings aren't projecting just 1 year out they're projecting a few years down the line so its misleading their fanbase. If those players stuck around longer I'd bet he'd have more than 1 championship there (I know everyone is thinking yeah, no crap). Kentucky fans are dumb if they think having a top class for a few months means they should have more championships IMO. They have been to more elite 8s than anyone I believe - - them and Duke the other 1 and done machine. Oftentimes a veteran team handles the 2nd weekend better than a bunch of young players no matter how many stars they have attached to their name. 

What some people are overlooking is how truly hard it is to win when you have to keep plugging early departure holes with other early departure fillers. Playing year to year without a concrete multi-year plan is hard but you can't overlook they have been a fixture in the Elite 8 during the entire 1 and done/recruiting championship era. 

Cal is so underrated and under appreciated it’s ridiculous. Coach K got zero criticism for only getting to the elite 8 with the best recruiting class of ALL TIME. Yet Cal gets blasted year after year for achieving the same level of success as K. It’s pretty bizarre, but he’s an easy target like Bruce I guess

• WarTiger changed the title to SEC has a lot better Bball coaches than Fball

Archived