A look back at the season that was

Maverick.AU

Man, what a ride! I feel a certain way that is hard to describe, that I really haven’t felt before in sports. I think it’s because unlike some other sports, you feel like you can connect more with the team and watch players grow. It’s much easier to feel closer to a group of 10 and a coach than a group of 85 Bc  youre seeing those 5-10 guys play and grow multiple times a week during the season.

Bryce: We saw him turn from a guy who was really on and off, to a guy that was clutch at making things happen late in games.

Harper: We saw him really take the team on his back at times, and him driving to the basket, blowing by top tier guys. Not to mention his almost half court 3s. Man I love this kid

Jvon: He was so fun to watch mature. He was a liability at times early in the season it seemed, and he turned into one of best players, especially when we needed a big play. Huge reason we got as far as we did

Chuma: Man, he was always the best player on the floor, but being passive hampered him early. We were finally seeing him start to take over games before his injury. He’s a pro

Doughty/Dunbar: They both brought a presence to the floor that this team needed, made key shots at key times, and I really think they were the glue of this team Both of these guys are class acts that you want on your team.

Horace: Man gonna miss this guy. I don’t think anyone hustled harder than him. We needed that toughness this year and he brought that.

Mac: It has been such a long road since last season, coming off the major injury, he never seemed like the same player, but last night, I saw the old Mac. I saw the Mac skying for rebounds, the Mac that could jump out of the gym, the Mac that had no fear. It gets me a little emotional thinking about it, but in the biggest moment, we had that player back.

DP: He stayed ready and hit some big shots in some big moments, he could’ve let things drag him down but he rose above it and started to get back to his old form.

Wiley: Man, it’s been tough with the injuries but it’s hard not to notice his presence on the floor, he played big, even with as much time as he missed.

Watching this team grow over the last few months was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had. They will be remembered forever and have left their legacy. This team could’ve folded midseason when everything was stacked against them, but instead, they responded by putting on one of the biggest shows we may ever see. I hope this isn’t a redundant post, but I felt like I needed to make it. WDE and onward to next season!

18 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Man, what a ride! I feel a certain way that is hard to describe, that I really haven’t felt before in sports. I think it’s because unlike some other sports, you feel like you can connect more with the team and watch players grow. It’s much easier to feel closer to a group of 10 and a coach than a group of 85 Bc  youre seeing those 5-10 guys play and grow multiple times a week during the season.

Bryce: We saw him turn from a guy who was really on and off, to a guy that was clutch at making things happen late in games.

Harper: We saw him really take the team on his back at times, and him driving to the basket, blowing by top tier guys. Not to mention his almost half court 3s. Man I love this kid

Jvon: He was so fun to watch mature. He was a liability at times early in the season it seemed, and he turned into one of best players, especially when we needed a big play. Huge reason we got as far as we did

Chuma: Man, he was always the best player on the floor, but being passive hampered him early. We were finally seeing him start to take over games before his injury. He’s a pro

Doughty/Dunbar: They both brought a presence to the floor that this team needed, made key shots at key times, and I really think they were the glue of this team Both of these guys are class acts that you want on your team.

Horace: Man gonna miss this guy. I don’t think anyone hustled harder than him. We needed that toughness this year and he brought that.

Mac: It has been such a long road since last season, coming off the major injury, he never seemed like the same player, but last night, I saw the old Mac. I saw the Mac skying for rebounds, the Mac that could jump out of the gym, the Mac that had no fear. It gets me a little emotional thinking about it, but in the biggest moment, we had that player back.

DP: He stayed ready and hit some big shots in some big moments, he could’ve let things drag him down but he rose above it and started to get back to his old form.

Wiley: Man, it’s been tough with the injuries but it’s hard not to notice his presence on the floor, he played big, even with as much time as he missed.

Watching this team grow over the last few months was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had. They will be remembered forever and have left their legacy. This team could’ve folded midseason when everything was stacked against them, but instead, they responded by putting on one of the biggest shows we may ever see. I hope this isn’t a redundant post, but I felt like I needed to make it. WDE and onward to next season!

This times 100! The board needed a reminder of what these kids just did this last month. It was unbelievable. 

I didn't realize until last Sunday that Mac only lost 3 opening tips all season.  That is amazing considering he was usually shorter than his opponent.  

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It did?

For most, I don’t think they did. For me tho, making this post helped me feel better. That game crushed me, but it helps me to remember everything great about this run and how this team grew, and it happened right before our eyes.

What I like about our run in March was that for most of the season I kept saying, " We are soft. We are mentally weak. We should be performing better than we are." Starting with the UAT game in T'town we were a changed team. There has been NOTHING soft or weak about them. We beat UVA ( without a bonehead ref omission) without Okeke. We really were the best team in the country!!! How did Pearl and the team do that????? I don't know but I am so thankful that they did! I am so grateful to the team. I have had this positivity in my soul for six weeks that has given me some pep in my step and more of a reason to hop out of bed in the mornings. I am so grateful!!! Tomorrow morning will be tough, now!!! I really think I am going to miss what this team has been giving me! Thanks guys, and War Eagle!!!

P.S. I will admit that when I saw the video of the guys in Auburn Arena after they got home, I cried like a baby. I still hurt for them and for me!

27 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

For most, I don’t think they did. For me tho, making this post helped me feel better. That game crushed me, but it helps me to remember everything great about this run and how this team grew, and it happened right before our eyes.

The person who I quoted made it sound like we were under appreciating the team, as if we just considered everything a waste. When most people here and everywhere have done nothing but the opposite. Wasn’t a jab at your post. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The person who I quoted made it sound like we were under appreciating the team, as if we just considered everything a waste. When most people here and everywhere have done nothing but the opposite. Wasn’t a jab at your post. 

Just thought I’d say something since I liked the post, the reason I liked the post was the last part

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Just thought I’d say something since I like the post, the reason I like the post was the last part

It was certainly unbelievable. A lot of people on this board wrote us off after that 3 game slide, “one and done”, “we’ll be lucky to make NIT”. 

Before this season all I wanted was a solid run through the SEC tourney, and hopefully a decent couple rounds in the NCAA tourney. They far and above exceeded my expectations. 

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It was certainly unbelievable. A lot of people on this board wrote us off after that 3 game slide, “one and done”, “we’ll be lucky to make NIT”. 

Before this season all I wanted was a solid run through the SEC tourney, and hopefully a decent couple rounds in the NCAA tourney. They far and above exceeded my expectations. 

I was one of those and ate crow on that after the Kansas game. I wasn’t a NIT guy, but I was a somebody that the way we were playing, I didn’t think we’d make it past the round of 32

38 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I didn't realize until last Sunday that Mac only lost 3 opening tips all season.  That is amazing considering he was usually shorter than his opponent.  

Not saying Mac is one but some guys just time the jump well in a way that doesn’t require maximum liftoff. 

I knew we were a tournament team all along. Don’t think anybody saw thst run happening  until maybe the first Tennessee win at the earliest.

Well done Maverick, excellent posts, like you say WDE and on to next year. 

Can't wait to see it!

All the articles and statistics that have came out since the UNC win basically had this pegged as one of the toughest and arguably the best run in basketball history. Some of them made that contingent on the UK game. It would've been by far and away the greatest beating UVA, but there's nothing take away that 12-13 game winning streak. To go from right outside that bubble to being re-seeded as a 2 seed (and a deserving outright 4 seed by a real committee) by some outlets, that's incredible

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It did?

Sure did. Lotta folks hurtin right now. We all needed the reminder to look past that and enjoy what we just witnessed. 

This team beat....

Xavier

Arizona

Washington

Kansas

North Carolina 

Kentucky

Tennessee (twice)

Florida (twice)

Georgia (twice)

Alabama (twice)

What an incredible season!!