Marquis McClain seeking major role in 2019

WFE12

‘I want the ball’: WR Marquis McClain seeks major role in Auburn’s 2019 offense

Josh Bean -al.com

Marquis McClain admitted he considered transferring or giving up football.

After three seasons at Auburn, McClain has caught two passes and didn't catch a single pass in 2018 while playing in every game.

But he's got high hopes for 2019.

"I want to be the guy when the game is on the line, I want the ball," he said after Saturday's scrimmage. "When it comes down to it, that's what I see myself as."

Auburn lost leading receiver Ryan Davis, who set the Auburn career receptions record, to graduation, and No. 2 receiver Darius Slayton left early for the NFL Draft.

That leaves sophomores Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz as the top returning receivers, and spring practice gives others the chance to impress the coaching staff.

With Schwartz is running track this spring and fellow receivers Eli Stove and Will Hastings still recuperating from knee injuries, McClain has a prime opportunity to establish a role in Auburn’s offense.

“This is the year,” McClain said. “Darius left. Ryan left. Who are we going to go to? I just made the decision, like it’s going to be me. I’m going to be the go-to guy. That’s been my plan, that’s the goal, that’s the dream.”

At 6-foot-2 and 217 pounds, McClain has played as an inside receiver during his Auburn career, but made the move outside this spring. He working to replace Slayton as an outside receiver and deep threat.

"He had his best practice (last Friday), best practice he's ever had here," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said when asked about McClain. "We're really counting on him to take that next step, and he's shown some really good signs this spring."

McClain said offseason discussions with his parents, Malzahn and other coaches galvanized his resolve to carve himself a role in the 2019 offense. Fans will get a chance to see McClain's progress in Saturday's A-Day Game.

“It’s supposed to be a big spring for me, as far as taking the next step and getting better,” he said. “I sat down with my parents and told them, ‘I think this is the spring where I really buckle down and no distractions and just focus on me and focus on getting better as a receiver.’ I talked to Malzahn, I talked to Coach (Kodi) Burns about me just taking that next step and being the guy.”

Saying it again...He is my man crush...I expect great things from him. Dude is too athletically gifted. This article is music to my ears.

The staff has said for several years now that the only thing keeping McClain from becoming a very good player was McClain himself. Whatever served as his wakeup call, it's better late than never.

You just look at that guy physically and the flash he showed in that spring game two years ago you have to think he could be a total stud.  Of course, we don’t get to see practice but whatever it is that has been holding him back I hope he has worked it out.  It’s a shame to waste that type of athleticism.  

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

‘I think this is the spring where I really buckle down and no distractions and just focus on me and focus on getting better as a receiver.’

Sounds like he owns the fact that he hasn't made more of an impact. I hope that he and the staff can work together to change his path. 

17 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I'll believe it when I see it

Seems we always get one or two of these stories in the spring, and this might mostly be about who left. But at least there is a real opportunity there and he really is an athletic weapon. 

As always, Auburn fans:

Image result for bright side of life gif

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems we always get one or two of these stories in the spring, and this might mostly be about who left. But at least there is a real opportunity there and he really is an athletic weapon. 

As always, Auburn fans:

yep these stories come out every summer. I hope McClain finally balls out tho

At least Gus seems to be high on him this year. He has mentioned his name more than any player on the team this spring.

For me, it's been an impatient wait. The guy's physical tools certainly makes one optimistic. I'm really excited about the size of some of our receivers this year. Whether we can consistently get the ball to them remains to be seen.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

As always, Auburn fans:

I mean, I think it’s cool that they’re just kinda hanging out, shooting the breeze. 

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

As always, Auburn fans:

tumblr_nhz43tOJUq1u0k6deo1_250.gif

On 4/8/2019 at 11:44 PM, Mikey said:

The staff has said for several years now that the only thing keeping McClain from becoming a very good player was McClain himself. Whatever served as his wakeup call, it's better late than never.

This is a fact.   I recall 2 yrs ago, I think it was KJ that said he was one of the most improved or impressive receivers during bowl practice.  We all thought that spring game he was going to set a tone or make an impression....crickets.    I hope he is just a late bloomer like Ron Stallworth was in the 80's on the DL

They've been writing this article every year lol. They know the fans love our annual Marquis McClain update

The dude had an nfl body as a freshman. It’s crazy that he’s never been able to to seethe field. Playing WR is not that complicated. He’s either a scatter brain or just a baby who refuses to block or be physical. Hopefully that’s changed cuz we could really use another BIG bodied receiver besides Seth Williams 

41 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

The dude had an nfl body as a freshman. It’s crazy that he’s never been able to to seethe field. Playing WR is not that complicated. He’s either a scatter brain or just a baby who refuses to block or be physical. Hopefully that’s changed cuz we could really use another BIG bodied receiver besides Seth Williams 

It’s of no benefit to call our players names like this! You don’t know if any of these things are true, respect for players is warranted here.

3 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

tenor.gif

I am pulling for the young man and hope he makes us all proud at season's end.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, Gene Loblaw said:

You played wr gene?

I was slightly underwhelmed by the two long shots that he slowed up on yesterday.  I think one he never saw the ball and the other I don’t think he expected to get thrown to and slowed up.  Gotta go non stop in the real games.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I was slightly underwhelmed by the two long shots that he slowed up on yesterday.  I think one he never saw the ball and the other I don’t think he expected to get thrown to and slowed up.  Gotta go non stop in the real games.

I was thinking the same thing on those plays. He doesn’t seem aggressive going for the ball like Seth Williams has shown the last 2 years.i agree it seemed like he kinda gave up on the plays. 

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

He did the same thing in HS also. 

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I was thinking the same thing on those plays. He doesn’t seem aggressive going for the ball like Seth Williams has shown the last 2 years.i agree it seemed like he kinda gave up on the plays. 

Agreed.  I don't see much changing for him this year unfortunately.  Something isn't clicking for him.

Archived