Our Tigers finish #5

PigskinPat

This is a fun talking point, but that's about it. We were a 10 loss team that gelled late and went on a tear. Ending up number 5 is not too shabby, although at the very least I think we should have been #4 ahead of Duke.

I’m good with that ranking!

I’m actually amused they put us behind duke.  After the gushing over them this year, would anyone have thought it’d be different?

my question is ... what was the last time we were post season top 5?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm positive that we won't be as good as everybody ranks us when we start next year

IMO next year will be a rebuild but it won't be like what a rebuild used to look like for our program. Lots can happen but I hope people understand it's going to be a transition year with 5 freshman (at least) likely getting significant minutes

I'm positive that we won't be as good as everybody ranks us when we start next year

But if next year is like this year, we'll be that good by the end of the season.  So much of how we start out will depend on who stays from this year's team.  Hopefully, our 2 point guards stay one more year.

Prolly cause I'm ranking us #1.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

This will be hard for some to understand in November/December. We will still be winning games, but it won't be like March 2019 Auburn. I think by February 2020 we will be hitting a groove if not earlier. 

48 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

This will be hard for some to understand in November/December. We will still be winning games, but it won't be like March 2019 Auburn. I think by February 2020 we will be hitting a groove if not earlier. 

Hopefully our run taught a few of our new hoop fans that basketball season is a marathon and a few bad games or a few bad minutes of play does not mean a whole lot like it does in football. The goal is to hit our stride in March. It's a long season.

I predict a season somewhere between last year and the year before - when Harper, purifoy and Herron were first year players.  Difference will be that some of our returning players - purifoy, jvon (Wiley?), doughty- will be higher level & experience.

its gonna be fun but we are gonna lose more games particularly early season.  We will also be capable of winning every game.

edit:  had to come back and add Amac as a returner and experienced difference maker for next year.

Kind of insulting.

We did beat the National Champs, and everybody knows it!

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter where in the top 10 we land.

It still was not first and could/should have been.

I know you guys hate to hear the down to earth stuff and that makes me not the most wanted poster.....But I will say if chumma wouldn't have gotten hurt we absolutely would've won the championship and I don't care what anybody say. 

If samir wouldn't have jumped and just kept his hand up we would've won without him....but oh well super proud of this team

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know you guys hate to hear the down to earth stuff and that makes me not the most wanted poster.....But I will say if chumma wouldn't have gotten hurt we absolutely would've won the championship and I don't care what anybody say. 

If samir wouldn't have jumped and just kept his hand up we would've won without him....but oh well super proud of this team

Fully agree. Typical Auburn luck.  We should have won anyways.  

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If Samir doesn’t foul him, that turd may have made that shot.  I’m salty over the DD no call ...

Okay, I've put on my asbestos garb, strapped on my bulletproof armor, donned my helmet.  Have a SWAT team and Ambulance on speed dial......

There's nothing to be done about the outcome of the UVA game. If "ifs and buts were candy and nuts ...." As CBP said, we are all human. Players make mistakes. Coaches make mistakes. Officials make mistakes. Move on.

There are two reasons Auburn is rated #5 and not higher. First, although we can say that we think Auburn might beat Michigan State and/or Duke, Auburn did not beat them. In fact, Auburn had a shot at Duke and lost. Moreover, Auburn was a 10-loss team. So, like Purdue, it's hard for coaches or anyone outside the Auburn Family to say Auburn earned a ranking higher than 5th for the season..

Second, there is a long-standing animosity towards Bruce Pearl in the coaching fraternity -- especially in the Midwest and more especially in the Big10. He instigated a recruiting dispute between Iowa and Illinois that got Illinois put on  probation. It was akin to the Fulmer issue with Bama. They have not forgotten that. And the coaching fraternity have not forgotten that every single school he has been at has ended up on the NCAA sheet list, with most ending up on probation. This goes back to well before he got to Tennessee and his show cause from there. A lot of coaches will never vote for Bruce Pearl for any sort of recognition, which is why he was not included on any of the Coach of the Year lists. He's our guy and I am soooo impressed with what he has accomplished at Auburn. I will always support my Tigers and I'm glad CBP is our coach. But the only accolades Auburn will get is what the team earns on the court, the W-L column, with CBP as a handicap in anything involving polls.

But a final note, before everyone loads up and begins shooting at me --- let me just say --- Auburn made the Final Friggin Four! In Basketball! And Auburn ended the season ranked #5 in the country! Auburn! A university known (sometimes) for football, in times (long past) for Swimming, and currently really only for Equestrian.

Ya know, if anyone hads been asked at the beginning of the season, how would you feel if Auburn finished the season by winning the SEC tournament, advancing to the Final Four in the NCAA Tournament, and finishing ranked #5 nationally in Basketball, I think 99.99999% of Auburn fans would have been incredibly happy with that thought -- and likely thinking it was impossible.

Auburn! Number 5 nationally in Basketball! Final Four! Holy Sheeeeetz! So proud of our Auburn Tigers! WDE Forever!

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't know if we would have won the championship with Chuma, but our chances would have been pretty damn high.

I totally agree if Doughty sticks his hand up and jumps up with his 6'4" frame, May doesn't make that shot.  I just didn't like how he decided/'wasn't sure how he should defend the guy, which cost us in the end a chance...

On 4/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, cole256 said:

Depends on who's ranking you choose, I've seen us ranked in the 20s. I think we deserve a preseason ranking of at least that, assuming we bring back McCormick, Doughty, Purifoy, Chuma and Wiley among others and add in our solid recruiting class. (definitely not preseason top 10 without Harper).

On 4/10/2019 at 11:49 AM, triangletiger said:

But if next year is like this year, we'll be that good by the end of the season.  So much of how we start out will depend on who stays from this year's team.  Hopefully, our 2 point guards stay one more year.

Honestly, it is probably best for the long term if Harper goes. If he stays we will have too many point/combo guards. I think CBP brought in McCormick, not only because of the Mitchell transfer, but he knew last year when Harper tested the NBA waters, we'd probably lose him this year. 

Now, on the ranking, if we won the title with 10 losses are we ranked #1? If so, then we should be ranked no lower than #4 now. IF not, then we shouldn't even be ranked as high as fifth. My point is I don't really understand what this ranking even means, and further that I couldn't care less about any final rankings. We have SEC championship and Final Four banners to hang, no one hangs a banner for a poll ranking. 

22 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

If Samir doesn’t foul him, that turd may have made that shot.  I’m salty over the DD no call ...

Guy is nice but the only reason he made the prev 3 is cause Samir lost a few steps due to the screen and he didn’t put his hand up to contest. It’s way different shooting on someone up in your grill but with no hands up 

Archived