Jared Harper declares for the NBA Draft

Maverick.AU

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I heard today that Cooper now may not come out early. Not sure but it could be bc he now can’t graduate early or he decided to stay another year. 

Can someone verify what I heard? 

If he’s staying I hope it’s not bc KY Haggans is not going pro. 

He may not, but it’s literally a perfect storm if he wanted to come in, play with his boys, and potentially be a one and done. The team’s still talented enough to be top 10 and honestly if we’re going to live up to that ceiling, there’s a strong chance Okoro won’t be here the season after that. 

If he DOES stay in HS, I mean we have plenty promising prospects in that class so we could build out a final four team then, and if Okoro and Okeke (unlikely) are still there, then we should be more than fine. I just want to win a title as soon as possible though 

I guess I need to see more tape of him because one and done???? Only guy I remember that had talent like that is Garland and he doesn't look better than than him at all to me

3 hours ago, alexava said:

The outside shot is the least of concerns. Defense is the concern. 

We must be talking about different NBAs....no defense played in the one i'm speaking of :)

I'm not aware of any of our signees being spoken about like they are 1 and done types. You can bet if Cooper re-classifies he will not be 1 and done either. We'll see if he stays in current class

If Cooper reclassifies is he even allowed to be one and done? As it stands now he's the #3 PG in the 2020 class and 16th overall according to Rivals. That's a little further down the national list compared to where the 1 and dones usually are ranked if I'm not mistaken. Of course, they're only rankings. Can anyone more familiar with his game fill me in on what kind of player he is? Distributor? Shoot first? How's he as a defender?

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If Cooper reclassifies is he even allowed to be one and done? As it stands now he's the #3 PG in the 2020 class and 16th overall according to Rivals. That's a little further down the national list compared to where the 1 and dones usually are ranked if I'm not mistaken. Of course, they're only rankings. Can anyone more familiar with his game fill me in on what kind of player he is? Distributor? Shoot first? How's he as a defender?

I don’t know how it works for players abroad, but there’s technically no age limit to join both the nba or nfl (Remember Amobi Okoye who was drafted into the NFL at age 19). The rule for the nba is just spend one year out of graduating high school. Doesn’t matter if you graduate early.

i don’t think he’s one and done though. Has nothing to do with his skill or talent, but I just think he’s too tiny. And I don’t think just in height as he’s he’s under 6 foot. But he can’t weigh more than like a buck 40. He’ll need at least a full year in a college weight training program to get his body ready imo

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

True they do have an age limit for NBA. Something like you have to atleast be 19 yo the year of the draft to enter? If he reclassifies and signs i'll do the leg work and look up the details and how it relates to his age...promise haha

12 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I don’t know how it works for players abroad, but there’s technically no age limit to join both the nba or nfl (Remember Amobi Okoye who was drafted into the NFL at age 19). The rule for the nba is just spend one year out of graduating high school. Doesn’t matter if you graduate early.

i don’t think he’s one and done though. Has nothing to do with his skill or talent, but I just think he’s too tiny. And I don’t think just in height as he’s he’s under 6 foot. But he can’t weigh more than like a buck 40. He’ll need at least a full year in a college weight training program to get his body ready imo

Sharife's 6'0, 160

Thanks @Gene Loblaw & @gravejd. I was confusing the 1 year out HS thing with Wiley's situation where he graduated HS a semester early and wouldn't be eligible until last year's draft. I see Cooper is listed at 5'11 which means he's probably closer to 5'10 or 5'9 and that's going to dissuade NBA guys unless he pulls a Trae Young or something.

I know he's is considered one of the elite prospects but I'm pretty excited about Turbo Jones coming in next year considering his offer list and at 6'1 he's got good size for a PG. I think he could develop into a stud for us by year 2 or 3.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Sharife's 6'0, 160

Yeah. Maybe like Fletch. With the afro. 

Never trust a rivals or 247 profile page to list these kids real measurables. According to them, every football recruit runs a 4.4 forty too

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

An everything, offensively. For the EYBL circuit (https://www.d1circuit.com/stats/team_instance/3481582?subseason=483962&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2957276), the guy had 20.9 PPG, 6.7 APG, 4.8 RPG, and 1.4 SPG. His turnovers and shooting percentages are a bit alarming but the AAU circuit isn't the best place for good numbers in those categories. 

Guy's just good at everything, he's already a really solid shooter, and BP's system has done a good job of improving shooters across the board once they get here. The floor vision ability is already there and he prefers to slash over shooting from what I've seen. 

Frame wise, I think you'd compare him to Kemba so far. Skinny, bit short, but he isnt like a midget right? Like I think Jared is playing to the Isaiah Thomas, Kay Felder build. Sharife is playing above that. 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

An everything, offensively. For the EYBL circuit (https://www.d1circuit.com/stats/team_instance/3481582?subseason=483962&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=2957276), the guy had 20.9 PPG, 6.7 APG, 4.8 RPG, and 1.4 SPG. His turnovers and shooting percentages are a bit alarming but the AAU circuit isn't the best place for good numbers in those categories. 

Guy's just good at everything, he's already a really solid shooter, and BP's system has done a good job of improving shooters across the board once they get here. The floor vision ability is already there and he prefers to slash over shooting from what I've seen 

That is impressive stuff

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

That is impressive stuff

That's why I feel it is so imperative the guy gets locked down now. You can wait until next season, but if you get him now, you either: A. don't drop off come tournament time (my preference) or B. give him development against the SEC and go into next next year as the favorite

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I guess I need to see more tape of him because one and done???? Only guy I remember that had talent like that is Garland and he doesn't look better than than him at all to me

I agree especially because he is only 6' tall unless he grows a couple of inches. The NBA just doesn't draft a lot of 6' and under players.

I think a lot of people are under estimating how good Tyrell Jones will be. He is 6'1" and super quick though only 170 pounds I have seen his highlights and he is very strong and not afraid of anything. Losing Harper will hurt as he was Mr. Clutch but we have players returning and others coming in that should help a good bit. We will have the talent next year but we will have to adjust to the type of talent and build the team chemistry.  One of the things I like about the players coming in is all are very good but none are one and done players so we will be mixing players who have developed in the BP system with players who will be with us from 2-4 years so every year we will lose a few while keeping a few and bringing in new talented players.  I prefer building a team with players who are with us for a while as you build team Chemistry and fans get to build a relationship with the players.  Look how much we the fans love this team guys like Brow, Harper, Spencer, etc. players who have grown with the team and become fan favorites.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I prefer building a team with players who are with us for a while as you build team Chemistry and fans get to build a relationship with the players.  Look how much we the fans love this team guys like Brow, Harper, Spencer, etc. players who have grown with the team and become fan favorites.

Agreed. I think Chemistry is what has been the backbone of our teams under Bruce and his teams at UT. Sprinkle in some premier talent here and there and it is ideal. Too many one-and-done mindsets makes the opportunity for me ball and tension more likely. And with all the stink in NCAA basketball, if you are signing those left and right I’d be willing to bet some serious funny business is going on.

And, I think the fan love is part of the selling point here.  Bruce has perfectly pulled the athletes, fans, alumni (coaches, players, university), media, and administration together expanding that chemistry much further than just the locker room. Now, if only the refs could get on board with that group. 😂 

Like my boy @Tiger perfectly pointed out this is when we really miss Davion Mitchell. Him transferring was pointless now. If he would of just stayed he could of actually played this year and STILL taken over for Harper next season. SMH.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like my boy @Tiger perfectly pointed out this is when we really miss Davion Mitchell. Him transferring was pointless now. If he would of just stayed he could of actually played this year and STILL taken over for Harper next season. SMH.

Then we don't get Jvon. I like D Mitchell defense, but love the way Jvon finishes at the rim. 

Looking at the draft rules here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibility_for_the_NBA_draft

I think Jared Harper shouldn't hire an agent until he's sure he'll be drafted (as great as he plays, his lack of height is an issue in the NBA).  It looks like if he doesn't have an agent and isn't drafted, he'll be able to return for his senior year and then try the draft again next year.  But once he hires an agent, his eligibility looks like it'll be gone even if he goes undrafted.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Then we don't get Jvon. I like D Mitchell defense, but love the way Jvon finishes at the rim. 

I think people are forgetting how most of the year Jvon was a weak spot on the team. He def turned it on down the stretch and played his best basketball but there is just a lot higher upside with Davion. I still do not trust Jvon fully with starter minutes. And yah I know Davion had similar numbers but last year I never felt like when he came in that the backup PG was a weak spot in the rotation. 

2 hours ago, donmac said:

Looking at the draft rules here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibility_for_the_NBA_draft

I think Jared Harper shouldn't hire an agent until he's sure he'll be drafted (as great as he plays, his lack of height is an issue in the NBA).  It looks like if he doesn't have an agent and isn't drafted, he'll be able to return for his senior year and then try the draft again next year.  But once he hires an agent, his eligibility looks like it'll be gone even if he goes undrafted.

Hiring an agent doesn’t cost him his eligibility. Starting with last year’s draft, players can get an agent to help them through the draft preparation process after their season ends, provided the relationship is documented and submitted to the NCAA. There are restrictions on financial compensation that the player can receive from their agent (essentially they are allowed to pay for travel, food, lodging and things like that). They must also terminate the relationship with the agent if and when they decide to return to school during the 10 day period after the draft.

With that said, Harper should definitely look into getting an agent. He can still get a contract from a team, even if he does go undrafted, but that will be a more uncertain process for which a good agent would be invaluable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bs-sp-ncaa-new-rules-20180808-story,amp.html

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think people are forgetting how most of the year Jvon was a weak spot on the team. He def turned it on down the stretch and played his best basketball but there is just a lot higher upside with Davion. I still do not trust Jvon fully with starter minutes. And yah I know Davion had similar numbers but last year I never felt like when he came in that the backup PG was a weak spot in the rotation. 

I see it as the light coming on for him later in the year.  I think that is the Jvon we will see to start the year.  Towards the end of year there were times I rather would have had Jvon in there instead of Harper.  Jvon was the main catalyst in the SEC championship win and the UNC game when Jared couldn't stay in the first half with foul trouble.  Now I don't see him putting in 30-35 mins a game, and think we will have a lot of mixing it up running point this year. He has earned my trust with the ball in his hands though. 

Archived